Dog fouling and DNA.

Cranfield

Just got back in from walking the dog,got down to the wood people walk through. On one small tree three bags of dog **** hanging from the branches,the thing is there's a bin fifty feet from the tree.

This annoys the hell out of me as much as not cleaning up at all.

Dirty ****ers - why don't they bin it or take it home and hang off their own trees !

Later, on PM, Eddy Mair interviewed an American who operates the system in a closed development over there - presumably some sort of gated community with limited population of both humans and dogs.

He reported that it dramatically reduced dog fouling ($150 fine), but when asked if it would work in a public park, replied that it was highly unlikely because they would not be able to build up either the dog or owner databases.

good idea ,should be £300 though .

That is a very simplistic answer,what about the people some probably on here that have 2 -3 even 4 working dogs,then how much will the scheme cost to initiate and run,what will you do to make sure everyone pays?

A scheme that in practice cannot work, but could be a nice little earner for local authorities who will take the money but provide no service.

We could go further and make sure everyone who has a cat has to pay your said £300 after all they cause more damage to the environment and will poo in anyone's garden.

And lets not forget all those goldfish owners out there, contaminating perfectly good drinking water,there must be thousands of gallons going to waste :rolleyes:

You should all hope this does not get off the ground, imagine all the town dog walkers now walking around your ELS strips field margins and farm tracks, as this is private land no one is interested in enforcing the law on it, unless it is totally gated, and they are damaging crops you cannot do anything about it. this I know as it's one of my main problems on my perm.

This annoys the hell out of me as much as not cleaning up at all.

Dirty ****ers - why don't they bin it or take it home and hang off their own trees !

I have seen some people do this with dog bags on a footpath, and it really irked me, but it was pointed out to me that often they will be doing a circular walk and will be returning the same way, they then pick it up on the way back and put it in the bin/take it away.

I have seen some people do this with dog bags on a footpath, and it really irked me, but it was pointed out to me that often they will be doing a circular walk and will be returning the same way, they then pick it up on the way back and put it in the bin/take it away.

Strange, then, that it hangs around in the same place for weeks

They don't care, that's why they let their dogs do it! The only way to overcome the problem is to make them afraid of the consequences. I had a go at an old bloke a week or so back and all he said was "Its on the grass" (In a park!)

So that's OK then, a lot of people believe that.

Good luck getting DNA from a poop, my understanding is it will need blood or other cellular matter from the dog and not just have digested chunky or whatever. The same applies to Human poop too.

DNA tests cost somewhere in the £200 category per simple test. A fine will be in the region of £80.

If there is no money in it then it won't get off the blocks. It would be cheaper and possibly more effective having a few more bins and wardens.

Good luck getting DNA from a poop, my understanding is it will need blood or other cellular matter from the dog and not just have digested chunky or whatever. The same applies to Human poop too.

DNA tests cost somewhere in the £200 category per simple test. A fine will be in the region of £80.

If there is no money in it then it won't get off the blocks. It would be cheaper and possibly more effective having a few more bins and wardens.

you had best contact the police forensic unit and tell them they are doing it wrong then.

KW

Yeah on a phone. The reason I made the post is that my understanding on DNA from poop is that it requires amplification and advanced sequencing , making it prohibitively expensive and not always viable in any case mainly because pool is mostly made from undigested food meaning that cells from the larger intestines, blood and other body matter has to be extracted from it before DNA is replicated and sequenced

All a bit much for an £80 fine.

Yeah on a phone. The reason I made the post is that my understanding on DNA from poop is that it requires amplification and advanced sequencing , making it prohibitively expensive and not always viable in any case mainly because pool is mostly made from undigested food meaning that cells from the larger intestines, blood and other body matter has to be extracted from it before DNA is replicated and sequenced

All you need is a lab in the middle of an office complex that is free for anyone to enter at any time,and one of those shaky things and a big spectrometer thingimy jig,and you would have the dog bang to rights in 10 minutes,I know what I am talking about,I have watched CSI Miami. :)

If they made it a £200 fine and the council could keep the money the our local council would be all over it like a rash. The problem seems to be the refusal of offenders to give their names and addresses to the council officials.

A chip reader should solve that problem but a lot of dogs are not chipped so..........................

there is a simple kit now that I believe the police use, there have already been cases of conviction gained from DNA abstracted from faeces at the scene of a crime apparently. There is a surprising amount of DNA in it.

there ya go 2 secs on google and a £172 kit that will take 50 samples is found

http://www.qiagen.com/gb/products/catalog/sample-technologies/dna-sample-technologies/genomic-dna/qiaamp-dna-stool-mini-kit/

KW

Edited by kdubya