Dangers of handloading process

I'm sure there have been accidents but I suspect these usually happen when a dangerous load is fired in a rifle. I have loaded several thousand rounds and never even had a primer go off during de capping ( though I'm sure I'm tempting fate on that one but I always wear protective goggles while doing this in my shed so in little danger). I know a fair few who reload and have never heard of any injury other than maybe the odd soiled underwear. The reloading process in itself should not carry a lot of danger but its a little like saying is mowing the lawn dangerous, there is potential for danger but its easy avoided.

Does anyone know of any cases of injury or damage caused by the actual process of handloading, including corollary activities, e.g. storage of components, but excluding problems from using the handloads once assembled?

Has the Mrs said no to ya reloading in the kitchen :lol:

when i use to reload for several pistols and rifles years ago the end result of getting it wrong like above always made me anal about checking i had the right powder .

Edited by Remimax

When I used to reload .357 and .38spl for handgun loads, I put the depriming pin through my forefinger. Was distracted when someone spoke to me, disturbing my rythm, no photos though... Had an occasional primer go off when seating it, but no damage caused.

Mike.

PS I still have the press, as the government wouldn't pay compensation for presses, might advertise it on here as I doubt I will be relaoding again for 12g...

If i remember right the guy had modified his press to pneumatic ram operation and when he was putting the bullet in position to seat he somehow touched the air release button, You are supposed to have two operating buttons or switches so that both hand,s are out of the way when it cycles.

Edited by Andy H

If i remember right the guy had modified his press to pneumatic ram operation and when he was putting the bullet in position to seat he somehow touched the air release button, You are supposed to have two operating buttons or switches so that both hand,s are out of the way when it cycles.

yep that would do it ,wonder if they managed to fish the bone wad out of the case :oops:

OK, no accident, but about 35 years ago, I asked a turner to knock up a couple or three extra powder metering inserts for a Bowman reloader. Even though I specifically requested them in brass or aluminium (and told him of the intended application) he made them in steel. He made them right second time around!

RAB

Yup. If there is one absolutely critical 'never-break' rule in reloading, it is that only one powder should be on the bench at any time.

Back in the old days when I reloaded for 9mm, I've had a primer go off. Not fun, to say the least, even though there was no physical harm done.