Found in parents loft

Here4advice

Hi I'm after some advice I found this gun in my parents loft while clearing it out, I don't have a licence and neither did they as far as I'm aware. I have no idea what to do with it, I would like to display it at home but I think I would need to get it deactivated does anyone know if this is possible or is the only option to hand it in to be destroyed?

post-73034-0-07280000-1420205687_thumb.jpg

post-73034-0-66497800-1420205687_thumb.jpg

post-73034-0-47022900-1420205688_thumb.jpg

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Speak to an RFD, they will be able to either do the work or send it to someone who can deactivate it. There is a standard that needs to be reached by removing working parts and welding barrels ect I don't know exactly what needs to be done.

Then I believe it needs to go to a proof house for them to check it, if happy they will issue the certificate deeming it de activated.

Edit: If you hand it in to the police pretty much all they can do is send it for destruction.

Edited by Muddy Funker

You need to speak to your local Firearms Unit or a Registered Firearms Dealer rather quickly. It might be a shotgun only, which means a friend with a shotgun certificate can put it on their cert and inform the Firearms how they came by it.

Whatever path you chose, you should not just sit on it. You are in possession of a firearm without a certificate.

Whatever you do, you need to do it immediately. Not making a decision for a few days is not an option. Either into the police (any police station, you do not even have to give your name, but it will most likely be destroyed), or into a gunshop (where you can just hand it in, or get it deactivated, or they may even be able to sell it for you).

BUT ... you need to act ASAP (as in today, or at the very latest, tomorrow).

Where are you (in the country) you need to take to an RFD ASAP, we may be able to point you to a friendly one that will deal with it responsibly the gun may some value so make sure you get receipt and ask the RFD to hold it until you can clarify the situation.

To others could it be a section 58?

make sure he's an honest one; there are some dodgy ones around apparently. :)

Indeed! Many a nice gun has been handed in to be scrapped only to fetch ££££ a few months later. Get photos of any writing in the gun clear as you can, especiall the marks under the forend, ask RFD to store it for you normally a few quid a week and you can get a proper idea of value before deciding what you want to do.

And get a receipt !

If you can't get it to and RFD today make sure you do first thing in the morning. Leave the gun where you found it but if you can take the forend off seperate it.

I live an old keepers cottage and there are two cabinets in a cupboard in our bedroom that no one knows when they were last opened or where the keys are. One day I'll get into them somehow, would love to find something like this in there!

Do you own or rent the cottage?

It is a drilling. They're very popular on the Continent. Could it be a war souvenir by any chance? It could well be worth a good few £s if its condition is good and if so it would be a crying shame to deactivate it. Without causing any delay in getting it to a RFD, any chance of posting the makers name and anything else that's stamped on it, please? If it is Continental, there's a fair chance it'll be a 16 bore.

I live an old keepers cottage and there are two cabinets in a cupboard in our bedroom that no one knows when they were last opened or where the keys are. One day I'll get into them somehow, would love to find something like this in there!

Flippin' 'eck! I admire your patience - I'd have had that open one way or another within hours of moving in.

What sort of area are you in?

It is a drilling and a very nice looking example.

12.12 7x57r is my guess. If you pop the forend grip off it should tell you more.

Reason I asknwhere you are in is so you can get it into a good local RFD for them to hold while you decided what to do with it.

Personly I would hate to see it deactivated. I for one would give it a good home.

All the best

Phil.

Do you own or rent the cottage?

We rent it, but the owner has said if we get into it, the contents are ours! I did approach a locksmith and was quoted £200 to get into them - so left it back then. They're well installed with no access to the sides and look like they're the old cabinet type where the front comes off. If I had one of those flexible fibre optic cameras I could drill a hole in them and see if there's anything in them.

One of them is more of the handgun size safe - so who knows!!!

As its multi calibre, I think its best sent for deactivation.

Looks like a German drilling anyway.

Why is that then?

Don't panic captain Mainwaring!

The guy has asked on here and there is an associated date! His intentions are in no way suspect so lets all calm down hey!

Find out who your local Firearms liaison officer is and contact him or her. They will advise you of your options.

U.

Guest cookoff013

1- he don't gots no licensess.

2- its currentlys an illegal guns.

3- he asked for to display the "precious"

4- deact is the easyest optioness.

Maybe he could use it. But all that effort and

Licences to put a 2" group at 100yards?

Not sure if the guy is a

Licence holder.

So I assume he is uninterested in target sports.

Indeed! Many a nice gun has been handed in to be scrapped only to fetch ££££ a few months later. Get photos of any writing in the gun clear as you can, especiall the marks under the forend, ask RFD to store it for you normally a few quid a week and you can get a proper idea of value before deciding what you want to do.

And get a receipt !

If you can't get it to and RFD today make sure you do first thing in the morning. Leave the gun where you found it but if you can take the forend off seperate it.

As above. get to an rfd and get it stored. GET a recipt of this and take a load of digital images BEFORE you hand it in. Give yourself time to decide what to do. it WILL be worth a fair few bob. it would be a shame to deactivate it or scrapped by the plod.

I do not understand why it is that so many people say "ask your feo or firearms department" Most feo dont know one end from the other and most departments just make up any old statement as they think it up.

Edited by fortune