Found in parents loft

Here4advice

I can't quite comprehend how anyone can find a gun - post on a public forum - give it a few days before checking for replies - and still hasn't sought advice from the Police or an RFD.

First port of call is to get it on a legitimate footing. What make or model or value is of comparatively little importance.

If the gets arrested, it might focus his mind a little.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Gordon, as a shooter you are absolutely correct, but to the uneducated "its been up there years a few more days will be ok?" the op may also be of the internet age. I do feel now he has been educated assuming he has read the thread any delay in further action would be bloody stupid and would bring into play your last sentence.

Edited by Rupert

There are mitigating circumstances.

Just because his back side has not exploded with fear and dread it also does not mean he is a witch and should not be burnt on a stake!

I was given a little .25 auto by an old gent. I got in touch with my FLO and asked him when he would like it, A WEEK LATER I ASKED! (Emphasis, not shouting).

When I took it I was asked all sorts of questions. He did not want to accept my oath of discretion. Knowing the chap for years whom held it there was no need for suspicion.

I just asked the FLO if or not was I doing the right thing by this old gent? The answer of course was yes and that was the end of it. I got my receipt.

The same happened with another pistol, that sat in my cabinet until the FLO could next visit, MONTHS LATER!

A good working relation ship is possible with FLO

I had a muzzleloading shotgun that the barrel was less than 24". Once aware of the special clause for such muzzleloaders my FLO was fine with it but a local dealer would not touch it with a barge pole!!

U :good:

I live an old keepers cottage and there are two cabinets in a cupboard in our bedroom that no one knows when they were last opened or where the keys are. One day I'll get into them somehow, would love to find something like this in there!

Get a locksmith to open them for you.

WOW! what a responce (I thought I'd give it a few days before checking back) and so much to think about. I didn't even consider it might be worth anything! I'm in Northampton area. Not really into shooting. I geuss RFD is Registered Firearms Dealer? anyone know of a honest one in my area? What does it take to get a licence? might be better than ruining a nice piece. I've left it were I found it, wasn't going to risk taking it anywere!

attachicon.gif2015-01-02 09.39.53__1420240076_90.194.166.193.jpg

Markings wise it's got MK SUHL on the top, Nitro underneath and a word begging with S along the barrel (my picture is blurry so can't make it out)

suhl then maybe simson east germany .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simson_%28company%29

Edited by johnphilip

Working under RFD conditions we have been told by our Police authority ,Cleveland , that we should not take in or accept any gun unless there is an appropriate and relating certificate .

So should an unlicensed gun be brought to us we should not accept it , even if it means sending a man with a gun and no licence back onto the street.

This is a stupid attitude but the Police thinking is that the gun could have been used in a crime and has been taken to an RFD as a means of hiding it .

However as the Police issue our licence we have to abide by their conditions , I can not speak for other Police forces and I find Cleveland Police ,one of the most corrupt and criticised force in the Country's thinking as ridiculous .

As a result of this We would not be able to accept such a find , The police should issue a temporary 30 day certificate for disposal of any such find but they frequently refuse to do so .

Gunman have you told them this is against the HO guidance?

Crazy situation they are creating and irresponsible. Even if it has been used in a crime better it is locked away than still on the street. I am sure anyone commuting crimes with a firearm are experienced enough to know where to dispose of it.... Without going to local RFD!

There you go $3-4000 - Don't be tempted to hand this in to the police - Take it to a dealer.

Yours isn't the same as this, but it will give you the idea. I would say 10 bore.

http://www.collectorebooks.com/gregg01/drilling/Lot-2251.htm

If in useable condition and you can get it to the US market....

Get it to a dealer then take it from there, could be a reason it was left in an attic and forgotten for decades... Either way its now in the public domain so it needs to be with a dealer by now.

Gunman have you told them this is against the HO guidance?

Crazy situation they are creating and irresponsible. Even if it has been used in a crime better it is locked away than still on the street. I am sure anyone commuting crimes with a firearm are experienced enough to know where to dispose of it.... Without going to local RFD!

Agreed.

Welcome to Britain, the land of many fools!

U.

Working under RFD conditions we have been told by our Police authority ,Cleveland , that we should not take in or accept any gun unless there is an appropriate and relating certificate .

So should an unlicensed gun be brought to us we should not accept it , even if it means sending a man with a gun and no licence back onto the street.

This is a stupid attitude but the Police thinking is that the gun could have been used in a crime and has been taken to an RFD as a means of hiding it .

However as the Police issue our licence we have to abide by their conditions , I can not speak for other Police forces and I find Cleveland Police ,one of the most corrupt and criticised force in the Country's thinking as ridiculous .

As a result of this We would not be able to accept such a find , The police should issue a temporary 30 day certificate for disposal of any such find but they frequently refuse to do so .

That is crazy, they obviously want unlicensed guns hanging around in peoples houses then?

I've collected plenty of guns from peoples houses through my job, walking cane shotguns, service revolvers ect. No questions asked my end only ones of interest, not ones to try and drop someone in it.

There must still be tons of things like this hidden in peoples lofts either known about or not.

He was quoted £200! So if one has the patience of Jobe there is a you tube lesson "7 lever gun cabinet lock". Possibly more lessons are available with the right searches. DIY?

On closer inspection, on the big cabinet, the two brass bars are visible between the gap of the door and body of the cabinets. Would an angle grinder cut through these and potentially save the cabinet for future use with replacement locks?

On closer inspection, on the big cabinet, the two brass bars are visible between the gap of the door and body of the cabinets. Would an angle grinder cut through these and potentially save the cabinet for future use with replacement locks?

Possibly get a thin cutting disk an try the other option is vin the top off unbolt the lock then have it welded back on.

if they are made of brass, you could use a hacksaw blade.

Edit: wrap a cloth round one end to make a handle

Edited by silver pigeon69

He was quoted £200! So if one has the patience of Jobe there is a you tube lesson "7 lever gun cabinet lock". Possibly more lessons are available with the right searches. DIY?

Blinkin' 'eck...200 smackeroons! Mine cost me 90, and he had to get into the ammo bit once inside the cabinet, and that included new locks fitted and new keys, but I did get a discount as he's also an ex-handgunner. :yes: