First time shooting over my little duck pond

michufc

Hi to all I have been shooting up the farm now for over 5 years and I am planning to take two of my mates up there tomorrow night the pond has never been shot over.

So my question is any advise needed please from what time to get into position should we stand at the pond or stand back as I am new to ducks

Thanks again mike post-18375-0-18463400-1420225215_thumb.jpg

We get there anytime before dusk, but regardless of time there may well be ducks already on there no matter what time you get there.

We are all covered up with hats, coats, snoods etc. Some wear full camo gear including gloves, veils etc, but we just stay back under cover and have the craic while we wait. We have a couple of calls as well as some deeks.

There are no hard and fast rules as per concealment; so long as your presence isn't likely to scare off the birds is the main thing.

They can come in from all angles and directions and you may find it best to place yourself somewhere where you can see them silhouetted against the lighter sky once the sun starts to go down. Some will drop straight down as though falling out of a tree, others will come in low, flat and fast, and others will circle at height, getting lower with each pass, and some just appear from nowhere and will drop in so fast and without warning they'll be on the water before you have time to get your gun up.

A good dog or two and torch will be of great benefit (that's a big pond) as will Gamebore Super steel 34grm 4's or SAGA 34grm 4's. Have fun.

We get there anytime before dusk, but regardless of time there may well be ducks already on there no matter what time you get there.

We are all covered up with hats, coats, snoods etc. Some wear full camo gear including gloves, veils etc, but we just stay back under cover and have the craic while we wait. We have a couple of calls as well as some deeks.

There are no hard and fast rules as per concealment; so long as your presence isn't likely to scare off the birds is the main thing.

They can come in from all angles and directions and you may find it best to place yourself somewhere where you can see them silhouetted against the lighter sky once the sun starts to go down. Some will drop straight down as though falling out of a tree, others will come in low, flat and fast, and others will circle at height, getting lower with each pass, and some just appear from nowhere and will drop in so fast and without warning they'll be on the water before you have time to get your gun up.

A good dog or two and torch will be of great benefit (that's a big pond) as will Gamebore Super steel 34grm 4's or SAGA 34grm 4's. Have fun.

pretty much as above, but we used to rough shoot the afternoon and the duck pond was the first port of call about 1pm. there were always duck on it and we shot them off of it and then when we gathered up the birds we fed wheat into the shallow edges. the gamebag was full and just tipped out into a single spot in the water. three bags full at diferent spots. We hung the birds 5 ft up a tree and went off around the rest of the shoot for the rest of the afternoon. Later we used to revisit the pond about 4pm and wait for them to come back in. We shot it every weekend and never once had a no show. Mallard early and teal later in the season, Good luck. PS usually had to hose the dog off back at the farm after it wallowed around in the bluest sludge mud it could find in the pond.

Thanks for your responses I really do appreciate all of them no I have only recently been allowed to shoot game on the farm and it took 5 years of trust so I have not fed the ducks this year but I no there are plenty there. As the farmer has asked me to reduce some of there numbers. Now as I have been given permission to now put feeders out around the farm and to do work on the farm as long as it doesn't damage or injure his cattle.

So it really is for gearing up for next season

I will be taking my eldest cocker with me as well

Oh and I only shoot a 20g now so any cartridge advise for that would be great.

I will try to take some pics tomorrow as well

I didn't think that's a big pond for ducks

If the farmer is concerned about the number of duck, then it is probably a daytime roost. The most important bit of flightpond managemeent is to visit the pond each morning to drive them off so that they return to feed in the evening, bringing some extra ones with them each time. If you are feeding the pond and not driving them off in the morning they will just stay and gorge themslves, and the numbers will not build up as quickly. Count them in each evening and as soon as there are about 20 coming in, the next evening enough will come in for you to shoot 20. That is what we have found.

Well just to keep you all informed it stayed lashing it down and my mate is kind of a fair weather shooter should I say and he lost his Wellies. So I am gutted I didn't go out as my other mate who I had invited is a bit old school and doesn't like going with more than 2 guns. Oh well I will have to try and get out soon it's driving me mad

Well just to keep you all informed it stayed lashing it down and my mate is kind of a fair weather shooter should I say and he lost his Wellies. So I am gutted I didn't go out as my other mate who I had invited is a bit old school and doesn't like going with more than 2 guns. Oh well I will have to try and get out soon it's driving me mad

Mate, get one of those computer shooting games , I think you will find it a lot easier.

ad be off with or without them seems like you done the work and they arnt to fussed...... :/ get yourself out bud and enjoy it once you do you wont be to fussed about contacting them let them call on you :yes: good luck fella :good:

I no the reason I wanted to take my mate was he unfortunately is rapidly loosing his sight due to a illness and he's is only in his early 50s and travels a hell of a lot so I wanted to share the experience with him as nice first time sort of thing as I am only 30 there is plenty of time for me.

As for computer games I don't even own a games conical I am a outdoors person

Edited by michufc

Looking back at the picture of the pond I notice a lot of chickweed on the top. If it is still there I would rake some of it off ove in that bit where the dog is going to so that the water reflects back up and sgows more to passing duck. When the water is opened up it allows the water to get air which in turn allows more water life for the ducks to fed on. Some of the problem nowadays is that there is so much artificial fertilizer used on the fields that it gets into the water and the weed grows out of all proportion and fouls up the water. a bit of weed is ok but I've seen ponds like a thick carpet and the ducks stop coming in. Perhaps the water gets a bit stagnant. I suppose that as it was raining hard on that day and no one was able to go with you I think that I would have elected not to go also but in general terms I would have gone on my own. There are only so many days in a life and the years go in a flash. We had access to a really good pond on an adjacent piece of land and the owner died and the new people didn't want us shooting on their land so we lost the use of the pond, which was a shame. I wouldn’t mind betting that it would be a good stake out for Charlie as I’m sure he will check it out every night if there are duck on it.

Edited by fortune

Hi fortune yes that photos from a few weeks ago and the water is cleared now I am intending on trying to make it better environment for the ducks over the summer months. And if it wasn't a Sunday today I would of gone on my own tonight even if just for a recce as I have to go back to work tomorrow

Hi fortune yes that photos from a few weeks ago and the water is cleared now I am intending on trying to make it better environment for the ducks over the summer months. And if it wasn't a Sunday today I would of gone on my own tonight even if just for a recce as I have to go back to work tomorrow

You can shoot duck on a Sunday in your county :yes:

Edited by fenboy