Scarcity of 65mm pigeon cartridges.

Is it just me but is there now less choice in 65mm fibre wad pigeon cartridges, everything seems to be 70mm 30 or 32 g. I find 28g 65mm loads quite enough for decoy shooting and seem to bring down a few at roost when pointed in the right direction. For years I stuck by Clear Pigeon in 65mm shells for all my shooting, now these seem to all be 70mm cases, as are pigeon cartridges from a lot of manufacturers.

Blackpowder

Most are now made in 70mm cases as they are more semi auto friendly and I guess that is what a lot of us serious pigeon shooters use so a supply and demand thing

There should still be a good few 65 mm game loads that are available but they will be at a premium price, failing that I am afraid its a case of moving with the times

Hull do Pigeon special in 65mm Just cartridges xtreme game are also 65mm and get good reviews .

Edited by fenboy

It`s a bit of a problem if the gun is 2 1/2 " chambers......

Quite right Matone its a bit difficult and dangerous. Currently for pheasants I am using Gamebore Super Game High Bird 65mm fibre wad with 28gms size 6 shot. I see in among the shells are some Hull Cartridge Co X competition loads I found those ok for decoying last spring so reckon will revert to those again unless I can find a resonable 65mm pigeon load locally.

Blackpowder

Blackpowder

I recently bought some trap shells from Bywell to try on the pigeons . They were out of stock of my favourite Eley Olympics , so I bought some spanish shells called Trust , and I am well impressed with performance & price . They are 28g no 7.5 plastic wad @ £156 per thousand , however they are 70mm cases.

Hitman.

Quite right Matone its a bit difficult and dangerous. Currently for pheasants I am using Gamebore Super Game High Bird 65mm fibre wad with 28gms size 6 shot. I see in among the shells are some Hull Cartridge Co X competition loads I found those ok for decoying last spring so reckon will revert to those again unless I can find a resonable 65mm pigeon load locally.

Blackpowder

I found Hull Intercomp good decoying shells for light open choked game guns.I know some people don`t think 7`s work but I`ve never seen much difference tbh( I did say decoyed mind!)

Hth.

Blackpowder

I recently bought some trap shells from Bywell to try on the pigeons . They were out of stock of my favourite Eley Olympics , so I bought some spanish shells called Trust , and I am well impressed with performance & price . They are 28g no 7.5 plastic wad @ £156 per thousand , however they are 70mm cases.

Hitman.

Since my original post I have been looking at the Bywell range of clay loads and find that there are several which meet my price and specification criteria. Thanks G.

Blackpowder

Guest cookoff013

Lyalvale Pigeon Special.....the first batch was loaded in my kitchen. A great shell.

+1

+1

Pity about their website though - it's quicker to search through the Just Cartridges site to find out the specifics of what Lyalvale have on offer.

i Personally think lylvale are slipping.

i used them exclusively when i started but then moved over to hull, gamebore RC,,,

i think they need to simplify the range again, too many products overlap. DJ, powder blue red, HV series.

same with some of there game loads. but not as bad.

i think the best thing to come out from them for a long time was the english sporters. but really think it should be fibre only.