Measuring Zero?

fenman99

Does it actually matter??

If ur only using rifle for hunting and not targets, i'd say i doesnae really matter,

i know i'm not very fussy. As u will never be shooting at a target at any given exact range, so if u know wot ur rifle does at 100ish, 50ish and poss 200ish etc u won't be that far away for most targets.

Wether ur target is actually 95 or 110 wouldnae bother me to much as long as there or there abouts

One for the rifle boys!

Whats the best method for measuring out 100/125m. I still use the long step method but would be interested to here what you do other than long tape or expensive range finger?

fenman99

I zero @ 200...a mate uses a measuring wheel. If you do it in 2x50 then less lightly to under/over count.

TEH

Depends what land you are on my perm is arable and know the farm sprayer is 24m so when plinking can put targets out at different ranges quite easily. Also use google earth to measure distances to trees bushes etc.

I didn't know about the google earth trick! Just tried it & it works with know trees etc. Possibly more accurate than my stepping method. Thanks for that.

fenman99

Must admit i just step it out, u probably won't be that far out. I tend to zero in same area so only step it out if i've forgot where exactly i usually lie.

Other usual spaces generally fence posts are 2m (althou old ones 1.8 6ft) usually llecy poles on a straight are normally 70m apart, most commercial soft woods 2m so 50 tree tops/butts approx 100m

Even if ur 10m out either way the ballistic difference is tiny and its all to do with wot u estimate ur deer/fox is in the heat of action

Home made pace stick or old cheap survey chain off ebay.

Ball of synthetic string that you've first wound around 2 nails a yard/metre apart on a plank so you have a handy measured length of 25, 50 whatevers etc.

Or the Pythonesque survey technique involving the distance covered in 98 leaps of a vaguely energetic border collie or 75 of an excited one.

If you have a smart phone there are a variety of apps that will do this.

My Tracks from google on android is very easy to use. Just start it up and walk in a straight line until your route is the required distance.

Not particularly suitable for short distances, but 50m+ is fine.

Simon