lead alternatives

mick-wiffam

Nothing is as good as lead. Steel can wreck barrels if not loaded properly in a cup shaped wad and is very light (will go throughno more than 1/2 choke). Tungstan matrix and bismuth are better. Tin is like soft steel and is kind to barrels.

Heavy shot is hard like steel but heaver than lead but very expensive.

Making the most of a bad job I would go with TM or Bismuth.

I am told that gold is even better than lead, but they dont have them at my local shop

Steel wrecks your barrels too.
What a load of Bull all Steel shot is in a full plas-wad and doe's not come into contact with Barrels the only Gun you Cannot use Steel in is 2 1/2 inch Chambered Gun and that is for pressure reasons as they cannot take it any other should be ok but always reads what it says on the box Ive been using Steel for Geese and Duck for 4 years Gun till OK

• 2 weeks later...

have been using steel ,since the lead ban and have been very impressed .the pattern is very uniform much more so than lead. kill to cartridge ratio is about the same .would definately recommend you give it a try...... i belong a wildfowling club and the majority have come to the same opinion.

Tungsten matrix is best in terms of price/performance. Hevi shot is superb but expensive. Steel is a waste of time and cruel unless the ducks or geese are at very close range. Steel will kill with consistent head shots of course, if only we were good enough.Bismuth is pretty average.

If you are to do plenty of duck shooting and want clean kills then you wont go far wrong with tungsten. U can use tighter chokes than steel so surely this alone is kinder on the ducks with more strikes from a tighter pattern.

In have used steel on a number of occasions in different situations and the conclusion i have reached is it will not kill cleanly as often as lead. At a push I will use it for close range marsh shooting at night, but during dusk or daylight on longer birds it fails. Even with 3.5 inch drylock steel in 2s it will not do the job consistently even on wigeon.

hate to disagree, but have found steel to kill just as effectively as lead.slightly more leed is required because of the tighter pattern.at the end of the day its each to his own, and you must try the alternatives and make you own decisions from your own experiences

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mick. Tungsten Matrix is the best alternative i have found yet. But the price will make you toes curl. Steel will wear your gun even in a high dense plas wad. Newer guns are being fitted with chrom barrels to stop barrel wear for steel eg 68s berettas and 525 brownings etc. With steel the volocity dies quick at distance. My freind shoots steel in his browning 325 and he swears by it. So i think you will have to do the test yourself. Remember though with steel you are ltd to 1/2 choke max and not suitable for 65mm chambers. Tin shot has a low striking energy due to lower density so you need to be one or two pellet sizes larger than with lead also applys to steel to. Happy shooting.