GoPro Hero 4

DazzJo

Evening all.....

Santa has kindly gave me a GoPro Hero 4 for being a good boy throughout 2014 and there are a few questions I would like to ask somebody about it....

1) what is the best setting to have it on whilst out on a driven shoot?

2) how long does the battery last for 1/2/3/4 hours?

3) if I was to buy any extra accessories for it which is the best place? eBay? Amazon? GoPro?

4) sometimes a drive can last up to 30-40 minutes so is it best to leave it recording as soon I pull my gun out the slip or stop/start the record until I see a bird come over me (which in my eyes would be surprising difficult!)

I know you have probably seen this question asked many times but I really want to nail this recording so I can start my own YouTube channel...inspiration from Duffryn!

All advice and help is greatly appreciated! :)

Evening all.....

Santa has kindly gave me a GoPro Hero 4 for being a good boy throughout 2014 and there are a few questions I would like to ask somebody about it....

1) what is the best setting to have it on whilst out on a driven shoot?

2) how long does the battery last for 1/2/3/4 hours?

3) if I was to buy any extra accessories for it which is the best place? eBay? Amazon? GoPro?

4) sometimes a drive can last up to 30-40 minutes so is it best to leave it recording as soon I pull my gun out the slip or stop/start the record until I see a bird come over me (which in my eyes would be surprising difficult!)

I know you have probably seen this question asked many times but I really want to nail this recording so I can start my own YouTube channel...inspiration from Duffryn!

All advice and help is greatly appreciated! :)

Silver or Black?

Basically battery life is around 2 hours.

Download gopr ap and you can start camera with press of button when first birds rise and slip back in pocket before they cross gun line.

As above the phone app or remote start just as drive is about to start and off after finishes or your picking up.

I find with mine the narrow veiw best other wise every thirty yard bird looks like it's a hundred and thirty yards away. Reduces the fish eye effect too.

I bought some extra batteries for mine online with a charger that work very well. Can't remember the bloody name of them now.

Hardest part is keeping your head still while filming with head band mount on, don't realise how much you move your head looking about. Also the headband gives you a headache if tight after an hour or two of wearing.

Try the different setting on some clays and play back on your tv, then you'll know what's best for you.

Edited by figgy

It's the silver one I've got and got a head mount with it that I got separately....

I've just downloaded the GoPro app so hopefully I'll be able to get used to remembering to press the record button lol

Thanks guys

Turn off rear screen you save battery. The ap is great as you can see on phone what your camera is recording so no guess work where to position camera on your head.

Spare battery is worth it at £15 but beware you must buy gopro 4 battery as previous models do not fit.

1) what is the best setting to have it on whilst out on a driven shoot? As i do not record long hours, i go for 1080, 60fps. If you think you have hours of videos to record, reduce it, and also reduce fps quality wont differ a lot, but memory wise you dont have to worry.
2) how long does the battery last for 1/2/3/4 hours? I use remote so mine last around 2-3 hours easily.
3) if I was to buy any extra accessories for it which is the best place? eBay? Amazon? GoPro? ebay... get extra batteries and a twin battery charge is quite handy too.

Best to buy a remote separately, i wont suggest keeping it on, unless you getting non stop birds or with few seconds gap. I tried to mount it on head but with cap on head, it is difficult to align it vertically/horizontally as sometime the object is not aligned. I moved to a gun mount.

I asked the same questions... Kind of

http://gopro.com/support/articles/hero4-camera-battery-life

I've been shooting 1080p as i don't have a 4k tv or pc monitor yet. I've also been shooting at 120fps which has captured the odd bit of shot flying through the air and flames from my motorcycle exhaust. Saying that once you use the gopro studio to edit and export your footage, i end up reducing it to 1080p 30fps anyway..

Personally if i were you, id use the wifi and phone app and press record and stop accordingly (Save the memory and your time watching boring bits). Investment in a spare battery and memory card is advised! Especially if you are using the video + photo feature. This picks up some great photos every X amount of seconds whilst videoing too. I think the max the camera can handle on this setting is 1080p 30fps videos + 12mp photos.

My signature is one of those photos...

Well I've been on eBay and purchased another 2 batteries and also 2x 32gb memory cards but ATM I have set it up to film at 1080 x 60fps video, but I think I may knock it down 30fps I torn tbh. This is going to sound really stupid but how do u turn the back screen off whilst filming?:s

Well I've been on eBay and purchased another 2 batteries and also 2x 32gb memory cards but ATM I have set it up to film at 1080 x 60fps video, but I think I may knock it down 30fps I torn tbh. This is going to sound really stupid but how do u turn the back screen off whilst filming?:s

To quickly turn rear screen on and off press little square button bottom left of screen or to turn off completely go into settings.

Well I had a dilemma earlier as I checked to see when my memory card was arriving as it was supposed to be today but I rechecked it this morning and it has changed to the 15th Jan arrrgggghhhh good job I was on earlys today and live 2 minutes away from a Currys so I went over a purchased one from there ready for tomorrow.