Docking assistance

mancub

Hoping to get some help from the PW community regarding a vet who docks.

We have just left Dorset where we had a great relationship with all the staff at Damory Vets who looked after our dogs and docked our cocker bitch's last litter. Having recently moved to Northwood, Middlesex, we are struggling to locate a vet who is prepared to dock.

All s/g & firearms Certs held, valid permissions and syndicate membership evidence is available; it would just seem that the area isn't as exposed to field sports as Dorset.

Any members have any steers please.

Many thanks.

Unfortunately won't help u find out about docking directly but possibly handy for finding all the vets local to u

www.findavet.rcvs.org.uk

I fear this will only get worse, but as u have all ur tickets it really should not be a problem.

Why are vets allowed to let there personal opinions affect there business. Althou ur still better than up here, i know of people having to ahem 'whelp' dogs all over the country and a lot of pups travelling long distances to be docked

Thanks for the pointers guys (no pun intended). It may be that I take more time off work and let her give birth back at our home in Gloucester as there are vets in Ross who dock. I don't like the idea of transporting pups any great distance at such a young age but fully understand the sacrifices that are having to be made in order to ensure lower risk of injury downstream. I don't suppose I blame vets from distancing themselves from what is a contentious issue (especially to the ignorant) but, as you say, the situation is getting worse for us.

I'll use the links provided to direct some more research.

Take care lads.

I had a fall out on FB with a vetenary nurse who eats vegetables as a life choice and thinks it's cruel to dock tails and that working dogs don't injure their tails from working as she had never seen any evidence. She also stated that the vets she worked in didn't docked tails as it was cruel, when I asked what hers and her vets stance on docking the tails of sheep and pigs?. With that she deleted me ha!.

Ur lucky u can still dock, some of the stories i've heard of folk doing to get tails docked legally is crazy and not good for anyone.

While i agree with u in not wanting to move young pups too far know of some travelling all day to be docked. Crazy But they say if ur motor is rigged out for it pups or bitch dinae seem to be affected. So u probably wouldnae do much harm a short distance.

You will find someone but not many want to just dock for someone who isn't an existing customer. Mine were done just north of London and I know a couple of vets around who will. The problem with Middlesex is it's going to be small animal vets with no rural work. Keep asking though or odds are someone will pop up with one closer to you who will

You will find someone but not many want to just dock for someone who isn't an existing customer. Mine were done just north of London and I know a couple of vets around who will. The problem with Middlesex is it's going to be small animal vets with no rural work. Keep asking though or odds are someone will pop up with one closer to you who will

That was the same for me it was a trust thing the vets didn't want a rep for doing just docking so I changed to his practice and it was the best thing I have done he saved one of my dogs when my old vets (less that a street away) said there was nothing that could be done

Why are vets allowed to let there personal opinions affect there business.

Whilst I am supportive of docking working dogs, own two docked dogs myself and dock puppies I will stand up for any vet operating to their own moral code. It's very difficult to call exact rights and wrongs on many things and if they don't want to do something then no-one has the right to force them.

Lots of vets shoot. If you are a member of a shoot ask who they use. Even if not a member of a shoot you could ring a local estate and ask them.

I do dock puppies that are not our clients, but only with the blessing of their own vet. So far nobody has ever objected.

Edited by apache

Cheers apache, it just seems a wee bit strange to me, but then again i have seen the damage it can cause to working dogs (bizarely had more problems with 1 of my labs tails than my docked springer or undocked gwp).

But if they don't object to u doing it why not do it them selves?

Must admit i would be moving vets to a more rural/shooting friendly practice, if a vets willing to do the work u should give them all the ur vet work if possile.

Luckily all the vets in my area are still mainly rural and are pretty good and pretty cheap price wise

There was a period where a certain organisation was looking for a vet they could try to prosecute for causing unnecessary suffering by docking. I believe this made a fair few vets nervous then you also have a lot that don't agree with it. If you look at the younger vet generation there are a lot fairly detached to anything other than pet dogs

Whilst I am supportive of docking working dogs, own two docked dogs myself and dock puppies I will stand up for any vet operating to their own moral code. It's very difficult to call exact rights and wrongs on many things and if they don't want to do something then no-one has the right to force them.

Lots of vets shoot. If you are a member of a shoot ask who they use. Even if not a member of a shoot you could ring a local estate and ask them.

I do dock puppies that are not our clients, but only with the blessing of their own vet. So far nobody has ever objected.

I live in the Merseyside area and EVERY vet I contacted refused to dock my pups with one in the Cheshire (rural) area telling me he was worried about being "struck off" if he was found to do the job. I quickly determined that most would be happy to perform an amputation on an adult dog (cost up to £500)but would not do the procedure on the pup, I eventually got it done at a VERY good vets who now gets all my business even though it means a 60 mile round trip.

There was a period where a certain organisation was looking for a vet they could try to prosecute for causing unnecessary suffering by docking. I believe this made a fair few vets nervous then you also have a lot that don't agree with it. If you look at the younger vet generation there are a lot fairly detached to anything other than pet dogs

theres more dosh in treating the pug in the hoodie that is the baby substitute though isnt there

Edited by spanj