Getting lofters down

I bought a kit of 5 lofters last year and have used them a couple of times this winter ( without great success but that's by the by)

I am fine putting them up in the trees although it can take a little while to get them up there but my problem is getting them down again. The first couple of times I used them I just knocked them out of the trees and let the full bodies fall to ground with the weighted hangers. I used this technique again last time I used them and as they hit the ground 2 of the decoys split a little with the force of the impact.

I feel as if I need some kind of adapter for the poles so that I can gently ease them on to the decoys and lower them to the ground gently. I can, I'm sure, make something suitable for the job but just wondered if there is a commercially available product that I can buy that will do the job?

I had the same problem, filled them with expanding foam and replaced the plastic tube at the bottom with a length of hosepipe, I did put a post up with pics but can't find it on my phone...

Edit - here it is

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/82213-lofting-decoys-breaking-an-idea-suggestions-please/

Pics here

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/86832-lofting-decoys-breaking/

Edited by pegasus bridge

I suspect that you are putting them up upside down.

Just because you are only one pigeon in front there's no need to be derogatory towards my intellect. I knew that early lead was going to grate on you.

Thanks for the ideas all......good sound advice

Edited by Passionforangling

when i used to loft....i had rubber full bodied deeks....with dangling counter weights, which i wrapped a bit of xmas plastic ivy around.......they were bomb proof, but a bind to carry about, so i left them in a hole at the base of a tree which i used............AND THEY WERE NICKED..................

never lofted no more....

just thought i would share with you what i use / made, the pole is a bt insulated telescopic pole they use for making sure telegraph cable etc are at the required height.

it comes in Severn sections each 112cm long. i remove top section as it is to thin and flexible.

the other piece is what i made to hold my lofting hook as you can see, its made from the top end of a hp brown sauce bottle with a piece of plastic conduit glued in threaded end.

inside the end of conduit i glued a piece of rubber with hole in it, so it pushes onto my pole.

this works ok for me even tried a crow decoy with it, but at max length of pole it was a bit tricky so i had to bring down a section.

post-21509-0-14678500-1420575133_thumb.jpg

post-21509-0-59159900-1420575139_thumb.jpg

Edited by djgeoff