Paris this time

TIGHTCHOKE

I think this time the conclusion is wrong - there is too much outrage.

If the facts are clouded by opinions of anyone then that reflects perhaps more on the listener.

Something changed for me today as indeed they did on the day of the London bombings, 9/11 (as it is called) and the Dunblane massacre, Australia, French Markets each and every one. Each a collection of immense personal tragedies, its hard to not remember those murdered and those left wondering why and greiving following such unspeakable and inexplicable attacks.

What i am more worried about is how the world is being bullied, people intimidated too scared to voice opinions for fear of offending people who take whatever actions they want and more so by families living close to us all that we now know are capable of so much terror! Thoughts with all those affected.

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you echo the thoughts of quite a few of us .

I think it is terrifying. The way this attack took place, the fact that they were able to just drive undisturbed (not that there is much anyone could have done at the time) and the suspicion that these people were well trained (possibly former soldiers in the French army or trained jihadists) along with the realisation that there is a great degree of difficulty preventing a repetition anywhere in Europe terrifies me. Not only because it can (or better put, will) happen again anywhere, but because of the necessary (?) measures that will have to be taken and will affect the everyday lives of all of us.

something changed for me too, im finding it so much harder to be tolerant to these backward, broken brained sand monkeys than i ever did before, i hope the whole worlds mite falls on all their heads before this mess they made gets cleared away, un-called for ? unkind ? yes perhaps, but sadly it'll never stop otherwise :no:

I am thinking the same. How can anyone, ever again, not feel suspicious of the people living close to him/her and follow islam? What are we supposed to do to protect our families against another attack like that? Mayby putting pressure on the government to allow private ownership of handguns is an idea. Maybe it is not.

You know what is most upsetting? That there were THREE attacks with vehicles against people in France just before Christmas, and nobody took them seriously. They all said it was a madman acting alone...

I'm not condoning these actions but why did the newspaper feel the need to provoke these people by caricaturing Allah in the first place? I'm all for free speech but if I deliberately wound you up about something fundamental to you and you punched me in the face would you be wrong to do so?

+1 don't pull a tigers tail

I'm not condoning these actions but why did the newspaper feel the need to provoke these people by caricaturing Allah in the first place? I'm all for free speech but if I deliberately wound you up about something fundamental to you and you punched me in the face would you be wrong to do so?

One of the primary tools for satirical news is the cartoonist, especially with caricatures. This particular newspaper satirises (caricatures) dozens of things - not just Islam and their god. It is freedom of expression, rather than freedom of speech.

Pulling a tiger's tail and not offending people is very difficult. We love in a world where everything seems to offend someone. If based on majority acceptance, the caricatures should be allowed. Even if every muslim in the world was offended, there are still many more non-muslims that don't find it offensive - so the majority are ok with it. In simplest terms 'if you don't like, don't look'. Same as people who troll the tv programmes to find something to be offended about I guess.

Nothing, drawn as a cartoon, can never be used to justify murder, regardless of if you think otherwise.

Although these pictures don't personally offend me, i do wonder what you planned to achieve from posting them other than to exacerbate an already negative situation.

It is a show of solidarity to those who lost their lives because they printed a caricature. That is all...

Edited by Psyxologos

Slightly different scenario, few people can gain access to nuclear weapons but don't forget that many so called "ordinary" people have gone abroad to join terrorist groups. Even tacit support for terrorism is an offence. No right minded, sane person could ever think that the Paris attack was a good thing no matter what their race or religion.

What about when people say things like: round them up and shoot them, a 9mm in the right place, etc, etc, that happens every single day.

To glee or even nod approval in any mans demise is reprehensible and I agree such people need to be watched very carefully but an even hand is needed.

I think it is terrifying. The way this attack took place, the fact that they were able to just drive undisturbed (not that there is much anyone could have done at the time) and the suspicion that these people were well trained (possibly former soldiers in the French army or trained jihadists) along with the realisation that there is a great degree of difficulty preventing a repetition anywhere in Europe terrifies me. Not only because it can (or better put, will) happen again anywhere, but because of the necessary (?) measures that will have to be taken and will affect the everyday lives of all of us.

Indeed - I said it in the previous thread for the Sydney incident - I think this is the beginning of the end for firearm ownership in the UK/EU. I don't see a total ban or immediate change, but I can see restrictions being brought in - even if through the back door.

Did anyone watch Silent Witness on Tue/Wed? One of the antagonists on the show was picking people off using a (perfectly legal) sniper rifle. The police said (and i'm paraphrasing) 'question everyone in the area in a flat cap and tweeds'.

Sadly I feel this will be a feature of our world for a long time to come and I must say I'm surprised we have not had a similar, or worse, incident in recent years. We have so many soft targets and so many of these horrible people living amongst us. Personally I would not want to be the Home Secretary at the moment or in future. I think we must heap praise on the teams, police, MI5/6 etc for keeping us safe and long may they continue their good work!

this article hits the nail in the head for me , re; western reaction to this,

http://www.breitbart.com/national-security/2015/01/07/charlie-hebdo-massacre-how-the-west-will-respond/

Brietbart is a bit too alarmist and right wing for my liking. For a more reasoned view:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/opinion/nicholas-kristof-lessons-from-the-charlie-hebdo-shooting-in-paris.html

Brietbart is a bit too alarmist and right wing for my liking. For a more reasoned view:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/08/opinion/nicholas-kristof-lessons-from-the-charlie-hebdo-shooting-in-paris.html

And that's the official MSM view. That Radical Islam and Islam are somehow not connected. The bigger question needs addressing and that is whether Islam is compatible with British or indeed European traditions, culture and values.

+1 don't pull a tigers tail

My dislike of this violence extends to trying to call anyone a 'tiger' who returns mindless violence for a cartoon. Free speech of whatever nature has been hard won and countless lives spent to keep the freedom - these people were not tigers, they were filth that swims in slime.

Sorry Malik, maybe we just have a different approach but extreme Islam must be opposed by everybody and entirely eradicated or many in our society will feel terror and the mindless with a gun will have a 'victory' of sorts.

It is a show of solidarity to those who lost their lives because they printed a caricature. That is all...

I preferred your original comment before editing it. It showed your ignorance and highlighted you and the few like you for what you are. Its people like you which appear on both sides which stand to divide and create walls between communities.

"It is a show of solidarity to those who lost their lives because they printed a caricature of a paedophile that some illiterate shepherds in Asian mountains think is a prophet. That is all..."

You are exercising freedom of speech however you sound thick as **** for saying it.

One last point, there is nothing wrong with looking after sheep... Its an honest job. I don't see how mentioning it in an derogatory manner gained you anything.

Edited by Malik

My dislike of this violence extends to trying to call anyone a 'tiger' who returns mindless violence for a cartoon. Free speech of whatever nature has been hard won and countless lives spent to keep the freedom - these people were not tigers, they were filth that swims in slime.

Sorry Malik, maybe we just have a different approach but extreme Islam must be opposed by everybody and entirely eradicated or many in our society will feel terror and the mindless with a gun will have a 'victory' of sorts.

That is not what i was trying to say. I was just saying if you provoke something purposely. Expect the consequences.

To a perfectly rational person its easy to see its stupid but these people aren't normal...

I agree with you, extremism in all forms must be eradicated. Ive personally experienced the walls of society go up and divisions made between groups i've known, purely based on ignorance. It comes from both sides. Like many people in the world, i enjoy my freedoms and just get on with life. I am a firm believer in live and let live, thankfully the vast majority do to. It must be sustained.

Edited by Malik

And that's the official MSM view. That Radical Islam and Islam are somehow not connected. The bigger question needs addressing and that is whether Islam is compatible with British or indeed European traditions, culture and values.

+1......