Ched Evans..What are your thoughts.

Fisherman Mike

Personally I think whether he is actually guilty or not (I know he was convicted) he should be given chance to redeem himself and his career.

If not then the British Legal and Penal system is fundamentally flawed. He has done what the judicial system required of him and that should be sufficient.

Of course he has shown no remorse and I believe that’s because he genuinely believes he has done no wrong….. I hope also that his victim comes forward and tells the truth.

People keep on about footballers being a role model and looked up to by the youngsters.. to my mind that’s a complete load of tosh…Its just a job for the majority of them.

Moral comparisons are being made between him and Gerrard which again is unfair and unjustified…Some have short memories…didn’t Gerrard escape a custodial after him and his mates beat some DJ up a few years back. ?

Edited by Fisherman Mike

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my thoughts are similar IE how do you say sorry for something you deny doing? and having read about this case and what seemingly happened I reckon he has a dammed good chance of winning his case yes I think it would have been best to wait his appeal before looking for work, but should his conviction be quashed I hope the high profile hang him high brigade such as jessica ennis whatever put their heads back above the parapet and say SORRY for trying to ruin someones life.

KW

Edited by kdubya

Let him get on with his life.

I wasnt at the trial so cannot comment on guilt/non guilt but he was sentanced.

Now he has served the custodial part with the rest to be served on licence if I have it correct so what does he do!

Do nothing for the next 2 1/2 years, even claiming benefits etc and then not be able to rejion his chosen profession as he will have been sidelined too long or

Let him return to his career....

Me personally as stated at the biginning of my post thinks he should be allowed to play, and if the UK general public wont let him lead a normal life then the overseas options should be allowed ( yes his current licencing does not allow this but an exception maybe?)

Jay

He's as guilty as a lot of blokes now days, girl gets steaming drunk to the point of not knowing what they are doing, they have sexual contact and then wake up and forget all about it.

How many stories have you heard of from people saying they woke up in a place they didn't know with someone they didn't know? I bet a lot of those people still have jobs and aren't convicted of rape.

I am not sticking up for Ched Evans per se, but the thing that annoys me is that she was just a victim of what happens a lot now days with the binge drinking society we live in,but being higher profile he's well and truly spoilt his life.

On FM's other part, I don't think that because a guy can boot an air filled leather sack around fairly accurately and spend more time that his plastic girlfriend in the bathroom, that he should be a role model. Someone out there building schools in damaged economies, helping the sick, changing the world for the better - they should be role models.

I think it's a bit of a difficult question. On one hand, i agree that he's served his custodial sentence and will continue to serve the remainder and should therefore be allowed to resume his career. On the other hand he's shown no remorse for what he was found guilty of, other than todays rather lame/non committal apology.

Regardless of how footballers perceive themselves, to many youngsters they are role models whether they believe it or not. Kids want to emulate their fame, fortune and success, and with that comes the belief that certain behaviors are acceptable.

in my view, it wouldn't hurt for him to not play football until the outcome of the CCRC investigation. After that, anyone's guess based on the outcome and the fans appetite to have him back.

AB

If he was found guilty then we have to assume he was, I'm saying that to avoid being accused of "police bashing" , footballers get paid stupid amounts of money and are role models for millions of children worldwide, personally I think any criminal convictions whatsoever should result in a lifetime ban from playing professionaly

If he was found guilty then we have to assume he was, I'm saying that to avoid being accused of "police bashing" , footballers get paid stupid amounts of money and are role models for millions of children worldwide, personally I think any criminal convictions whatsoever should result in a lifetime ban from playing professionaly

history is full of cases of found guilty then proved not.

KW

Its a difficult one there is a difference between being found guilty and being guilty , then same could apply to being innocent.

Only he and the girl know the truth , but if he knows he is innocent then why should he apologise for something he has not done .

But apology or not he has done the time for his alledged crime and should now be left to get on with what ever he chooses to do in life.

Whether he is guilty of not - a court found him guilty and sent him to prison. Just where does it say he can't get on with his life. If he had almost any other job - please don't supply a list of jobs it would affect - he would be allowed to go back to it.

Because he is a footballer, some want an extra punishment. People complained he didn't apologise - he then apologises - that isn't enough. He didn't sound sincere enough for some. Just what do they want?

Someone got killed by a goalkeeper a couple of years ago - there are more footballers who have killed someone - but this lad has to carry on paying.

I have no time for him, but can't see the fuss. The morale outrage brigade worry me.

As for the "if it was your daughter etc" - I would hope any child of mine would have more sense than to get blind drunk and end up in a hotel with a stranger. Turn it on its head - if it was your son - would you expect him to keep paying for the rest of his life?

Edited by Gordon R

And if it was your daughter who was making the allegation I bet your attitude would change. You'd be on PW baying blood.

Thats true, but this lass has form for trying it on with other sportsmen and settling in cash out of court and the media, i think there was a rugby player a while ago who she tried it with.....

Thats true, but this lass has form for trying it on with other sportsmen and settling in cash out of court and the media, i think there was a rugby player a while ago who she tried it with.....

A very strong allegation, have you proof and are you prepared to repeat in court.

I don't know the exact circumstances of this case. Some here might, or might have heard one side of the story, but not the other.

But ... there are a list of proscribed jobs (and even hobbies, like shooting) for people convicted of various offences. 'Professional sportsman' is not on that list, so he should be allowed to resume his career.

Anything else is the mentality of the mob, and if we're going down that route ...

as always there are two sides too every story,,

should he be allowed to play football(professional) again ? personally I would say NO

should he be allowed to play football again ? YES Rhyl have a good amateur side let him play for them,,don't think he would survive long though

he WAS convicted and has basically used and abused his stature in the footballing world, he only wants to play again because the money is silly amounts per week,, tough on him, he WAS convicted by a jury so its tough luck if he wants to play football again then there are plenty of amateur clubs who would let him play but I don't think the communities will be very happy,

hard cack mr Evans,,you are a convicted rapist so no one wants you playing football for them so go kick a ball against the wall YOU SAD LITTLE IDIOT

And if it was your daughter who was making the allegation I bet your attitude would change. You'd be on PW baying blood.

I would like to think my daughters would have more sense to get drunk and go back to a hotel room with a man they had just met.