Sciatica....again.

Scully

Went for my MRI scan today, and being in the sticks a bit it took place in the back of an artic trailer (properly kitted out of course)in a local College car park.

Anyhow, GP has told me that I'll be off work for 6 weeks ( must remember to book surgery outside of shooting season :) ) and being self-employed in the building industry plus other things I don't really want to be off that long to be honest. Nursy I have spoken to since is also adamant I wont be back to work prior to this as procedure comprises of incision in lumbar region of spine and then whittling away at offending prolapsed disc until it no longer presses on nerve, or something along those lines. Now I think about it I forgot to ask if this will include a local or general anaesthetic, but that isn't my question; which is, has anyone on PW had this procedure and if so how long did it take before they were back at work, bearing in mind their occupation?

Thanks all.

Edited by Scully

I would say it would be a General anaesethetic maybe out next day, did they mention fusing the discs, is the damage at L4/L5 ?

No, no mention of fusing discs, but have so far only talked to GP; haven't met consultant yet. Sorry, haven't seen scans as operatives aren't allowed to give opinions apparently, and all initial diagnosis stated post x-rays was, 'moderate to severe damage', but no identification of specifics.

I know someone who had this procedure, he only had a month off but works in an office, so no comparison with our job.

Thanks PG.

Same problem as I had , had an epidural in the spine as a first try , after a couple of weeks it kicked in and was respectably less pain full but still a problem.

The operation was next in line but being reluctant I pushed it to the border, I then had a fall from some caravan steps and thought thats it I'm in trouble, but 48 hours later the sciatica and back/spine felt easier, well it got a lot better from then on and I cancel'd the opp and all I have now is the odd minor pain if pushing it a bit , but then at 66 and a lifetime of manual work maybe to be expected.

No, no mention of fusing discs, but have so far only talked to GP; haven't met consultant yet. Sorry, haven't seen scans as operatives aren't allowed to give opinions apparently, and all initial diagnosis stated post x-rays was, 'moderate to severe damage', but no identification of specifics.

Thanks PG.

Understood , They won't know for sure what needs doing until they actualy have a look, The main thing post opp is physio so keep it up.

The work you do will determine the time off work.

I had the operation to remove the ruptured part of my disc they remove a small part of the spine with a drill and cut part of the disc out, they knocked me out, 2 days in hospital, was hobbling around 3 days later but spent about a week on the sofa, was back to work in about 4 weeks I think pain free. Best thing I ever done and I refused to take any painkillers the moment I left the hospital aswell and I felt ok, just abit bruised. Best of luck ;)

I've had it twice (2 separate discs), if it had been the same disc twice then it would have been removed and the vertebrae fused,

In one day, operation next day (general anaesthetic) out the day after,

They like to get you on your feet ASAP.

Soon as you can prove to the physio's you can walk and manage stairs (with crutches) they let you home

Good luck

:shaun:

Had the needles in between the joints, that hurt lol. Also had decompression done, twice, I was knocked out, don't remember anything till next day.

Was in hospital 5 days. Was laid up for 8 weeks, only allowed to stand for 10 minutes every 2 hours. Had to stand to eat. Wear back plate support for 3 months.

Its still not fixed. Permanent pain, pain killers are no use if you want some sort of life as they mong you out. Stomach is now also wreaked from taking so many.

Can't have any more opps as spine is crumbling.

To much smashing myself up on mountain bikes, parakarting, weights and manual labour took its toll on my body. In a way it did me a favour or i would have killed myself by now as I wanted to paraglide and jump out of planes.

Hope you pull though nice a quick. Just do as the physio says and don't push it.

Been offered the same op, mri showed herniated disc (I think) and went to see surgeon who said if you want the op we'll get you in, this was at the end of having seven weeks off work because I couldn't sit for longer than a few minutes without being in a wicked amount of pain in my left leg and bum cheek. By the time I'd got to see the surgeon it had started to get better so I declined the op as I'm a subby and don't get anything if im off work. Its been pretty good for about a year, but it was murder over Christmas.

Been offered the same op, mri showed herniated disc (I think) and went to see surgeon who said if you want the op we'll get you in, this was at the end of having seven weeks off work because I couldn't sit for longer than a few minutes without being in a wicked amount of pain in my left leg and bum cheek. By the time I'd got to see the surgeon it had started to get better so I declined the op as I'm a subby and don't get anything if im off work. Its been pretty good for about a year, but it was murder over Christmas.

I get some relief using the stick on heat pads 12+ hours, Wilkisons do 2 in a pack.

Tell me to shut up if you already use them.

Have used all sorts in the past, but like you say, they're all temporary.

I'm in a similar predicament Red Beard, in that I wont be getting paid either. Everyone I've spoken to has said get it done, regardless of the time off work, and to be honest they're right. I can live with it most of the time; have done for the past 34 years, but it would certainly be nice to be totally free of the niggling ache of it and when it gets worse the sleepless nights due to the pain. It's got to be worth it I think, long term.

Had sciatica about ten years ago. Jumped of a wall and twang ! it was that bad I couldn't go for a dump. from the top of my my neck to the tip of my toe. Had physio and aqua puncture that did bugga all. But was fast tracked to having facet joint injection. Think it was called that. Big **** off needle injected just above my bum into my spine pelvis area. They have to put the needle all the way in before they inject the medicine so its very painful. walked out like I was wearing lead boots.Was an amazing success. Occasional twinges but never come back

I had a discectomy and fusion (L5/S1) in June 2000, I was off work for 6 months but up and about (fishing) in 6 weeks. So glad that I it done.

Went for my MRI scan today, and being in the sticks a bit it took place in the back of an artic trailer (properly kitted out of course)in a local College car park.

Anyhow, GP has told me that I'll be off work for 6 weeks ( must remember to book surgery outside of shooting season :) ) and being self-employed in the building industry plus other things I don't really want to be off that long to be honest. Nursy I have spoken to since is also adamant I wont be back to work prior to this as procedure comprises of incision in lumbar region of spine and then whittling away at offending prolapsed disc until it no longer presses on nerve, or something along those lines. Now I think about it I forgot to ask if this will include a local or general anaesthetic, but that isn't my question; which is, has anyone on PW had this procedure and if so how long did it take before they were back at work, bearing in mind their occupation?

Thanks all.

Edited by Penelope

Had sciatica about ten years ago. Jumped of a wall and twang ! it was that bad I couldn't go for a dump. from the top of my my neck to the tip of my toe. Had physio and aqua puncture that did bugga all. But was fast tracked to having facet joint injection. Think it was called that. Big **** off needle injected just above my bum into my spine pelvis area. They have to put the needle all the way in before they inject the medicine so its very painful. walked out like I was wearing lead boots.Was an amazing success. Occasional twinges but never come back

I had something very similar about 30 years ago ( but can't recall what it was called) and was supposed to have 3 of these injections in the space of about 30 minutes. When the needle got in there it felt as though I was being pumped with air and everything was expanding; the pain from my bum down to my foot was exceptional, so much so that I flatly refused to have the third one, pulled up my keks and walked out, well, more of a hobble to be accurate. Did burger all for me but am pleased to hear yours was successful.

Thanks Penelope; good to hear it's hopefully going to be worthwhile.

I'm on the waiting list for this......

Now you tell me it hurts :(

The nerve root block injections were bad enough

But if it works then any short term pain is worth it

The joint injection was great, first one you don't know what to expect. Should have look at the ceiling when I went in, nail marks all over it.

Once the needle, that has been shoved in from the hip, get to the spine, they then wiggle it around until its in the right place while playing with the xray machine.

Then they try to pull it out the muscles have tightened around the needle and will not let it go.

By the time the 3rd went in they then had to inject local anaesthetic in and get a claw hammer tovpull is back out. 6 needles in total.

I really think its the pain of the needles that fix the problem as you don't want it done a second time so you tell everyone they your fine.

Its a nice way to spend a day out though, better than sitting at home talking to the wife

The joint injection was great, first one you don't know what to expect. Should have look at the ceiling when I went in, nail marks all over it.

Once the needle, that has been shoved in from the hip, get to the spine, they then wiggle it around until its in the right place while playing with the xray machine.

Then they try to pull it out the muscles have tightened around the needle and will not let it go.

By the time the 3rd went in they then had to inject local anaesthetic in and get a claw hammer tovpull is back out. 6 needles in total.

I really think its the pain of the needles that fix the problem as you don't want it done a second time so you tell everyone they your fine.

Its a nice way to spend a day out though, better than sitting at home talking to the wife

You see, I had that experience with the nerve root block injection,

My next one is the facet joint injection,

Pain was bad enough for the first one :(

My first nerve root experience must have been done wrong because it didn't hurt,

Second time, surgeon says "this might hurt a bit"

No problem says I, I've had it done before :(

How wrong was I,

It was like red hot wires being inserted at the base of your spine and slowly pushed into your toes,

For all it only lasted seconds,

Worse thing was that after every injection (3) he said the next would hurt a little bit more every time,

By the way, anyone booked in for this, don't worry,

We are a bunch of softies...lol

I've had facet joint injections, Wasn't to bad.

Had a year monged out on the likes of Tramadol and Diazapam, decided enough was enough, tried swimming a couple of times a week, = best thing ever :good:

Impact free exercise, resistance against the water, for me it was the leg action of doing breast stroke that seemed to ease everything and give me improved mobility.