Is my life legal for the field????

alex89

Hi guys,

This is the only scenario where i would carry knives:

- 2 opinels (lock knives) and 1 Elk ridge 12.5” Bowie (fixed blade) will be taken to the field from my owned property in the boot of my car in my field bag.

- When i arrive at the land (where i have permission from the land owner to shoot) i attach 1 opinel in a pouch to my belt and the bowie in a sheath to my belt.

- I mainly hunt pigeon, rabbit, pheasant and duck (both in season of course and not on a Sunday).

- When im done for the day i put the knives back in my bag in the boot of the car and i drive home.

IS THIS LEGAL??

IS MY REASON OF HUNTING A GOOD ENOUGH REASON TO CARRY THESE KNIVES? ???

Links for the 2 knives are:

http://www.bladesandbows.co.uk/elk-ridge-125-bowie-knife-5961

http://www.uttings.co.uk/p104756-opinel-classic-originals-high-grade-carbon-steel-knife/#.VK8TISihxic

Thanks in advance for any comments

Edited by alex89

Yes it is legal . It only becomes illegal when you have no good reason to be carrying a knife . Shooting in the field is good reason to be carrying a knife or two . I have two or three knives in my truck for use when out shooting . I also carry a pocket knife when out fishing . I cannot imagine any body going out in the field without their trusty knife on their belt or in their pocket .

Harnser

Yes it is legal . It only becomes illegal when you have no good reason to be carrying a knife . Shooting in the field is good reason to be carrying a knife or two . I have two or three knives in my truck for use when out shooting . I also carry a pocket knife when out fishing . I cannot imagine any body going out in the field without their trusty knife on their belt or in their pocket .

Harnser

Even a knife as substantial as this:

http://www.masterofarms.co.uk/blades-axes/769-5-elk-ridge-hunting-bowie-knife.html

7 “ blade??

Thanks

Even a knife as substantial as this:

http://www.masterofarms.co.uk/blades-axes/769-5-elk-ridge-hunting-bowie-knife.html

7 blade??

Thanks

Yes . If it's being used to say ,chop out a hide in a hedge row or to chop through the bones of a big red stag that you are field dressing . I carry a 6 inch buck knife for these very reasons .i also carry a hand axe in the truck for the same jobs .

Harnser

Edited by Harnser

Seems a bit ridiculous for a police officer to argue about the knife when someone is carrying a gun. Does look a bit big for the job but I suppose if you like to chop the legs and head off then it's practical.

Wouldn't put it passed Kent Police. My point is a knife like that for that particular job leaves you open to giving the wrong impression to any copper looking for an excuse or because they are a bit anti.

"That's not a knife"!!!!!!!!

What is it then??????

Wouldn't put it passed Kent Police. My point is a knife like that for that particular job leaves you open to giving the wrong impression to any copper looking for an excuse or because they are a bit anti.

So if this knife is available to buy in the UK Legally, what purpose is it used for then if not the purpose i use it for???

What is it then??????

So if this knife is available to buy in the UK Legally, what purpose is it used for then if not the purpose i use it for???

Samurai swords are legal as well but you wouldn't use one for dressing a deer would you? My point is a knife like thar draws the wrong sort of attention. I personally find it difficult to understand using that for your purpose in the field.

Not disputing the legality just raising the issue of would I want to explain to a copper with a chip on his shoulder what I'm doing and all my equipment is a.legal and b.a good reason for having such.

A knife is a knife, a bowie is great for doing everything. I cannot see that if taken to court for having one in the car for someone who is regularly shooting/fishing is going to be prosecuted. The law was put in place to discourage gangs in cities carrying weapons. Doesn't stop them carrying screwdrivers.