What choke grease to use?

joecash

All this being said, the truth is that chokes are a fragile part of a gun system, and you are actually better off with set chokes, so no need to lubricate.

As a dealer RFD for 30 years, I have had my number of "warrenty" returns with guns in the first few months of ownership. Around half are chokes blown out - gun owners do not seem to have an appreciation of just how much care needs to be applied to m/c, and how fragile this system is.

Insufficient lubrication = stuck chokes. Cleaning guns with the chokes loose and the tightening them in can leave microscopic air channels that flare the barrels at the choked end. Poor tightening leaves chokes to work loose, with similar results:-

809320241_o.jpg

This is far more common than most gun owners realise, and every single new owner of a blown choke gun has, in my experience, blamed the gun. The outcome is that the guns are submitted for forensic examination to the proof house, and without exception the reply is, "User error, nothing wrong with the manufacturing quality".

I personally, have no guns I shoot regularly that are M/C, preferring to have several F/C barrels for the gun, and have the flexibility of being able to change both chokes and barrel length at the same time, without the worry of choke fragility.

Edited by clayman

Guest cookoff013

I used heavy machine grease, motor grease, motor oil, 3:1, and gun grease.

Just use something, and replace or clean regular.

I once had to sort out someone's chokes. Needed more effort than it should have. I cleaned the threads and chokes. There was a lot of fouling. Thick with residue.

Its basic maintanence.

I believe copper slip or an anti sieze compound would be ok but use it sparingly, don't plaster it on.

Myself I use a drop of gun oil.

Think the most important thing here is that part of the cleaning of a shotgun with screw in chokes is the removal, cleaning, oiling, replacement and tightening of the chokes after each session. If this is not done then eventually the chokes become stuck. One last note the final thing I do when cleaning is to check the chokes are tight, then put gun in cabinet.

Just what I do and not had a problem in 5 years of using screw in chokes.

I used heavy machine grease, motor grease, motor oil, 3:1, and gun grease.

Just use something, and replace or clean regular.

I once had to sort out someone's chokes. Needed more effort than it should have. I cleaned the threads and chokes. There was a lot of fouling. Thick with residue.

Its basic maintanence.

For me, this is the best advice so far. I don't think it matters too much what you use, especially if the chokes are cleaned and re-greased/oiled regularly.

I've always used light weapons protection oil and have never had a problem. Using oil also makes the choke and barrel end easier to clean, as anything tacky like grease will pick up and retain contaminants such as bits of grit, unburnt powder and fluff from cleaning mops etc. The threads are too fine to risk having any sort of contaminant in there

Birchwood Casey choke lube only cost £5-£7 for atube that lasts over a year very fine better than copper slip which can become like grinding paste designed to do the job why people spent £1000+ on a gun then use products that are not designed for the task to save a pound is bad budgeting when you need a new choke as the old one rusted in place or worse anew barral

Ah well you pays your money you take the chance

Also the proper grease will stop your chokes coming loose on firing and will not thin due to temperature and pressure there is more to it than lubrication if it was just for lube 3 in 1 oil or chippan greese would do

Edited by psycho

Lucas gun oil off the bay. Red tacky oil designed for use on machine guns, which run at rather high temps. Also use on the slide bolt rails on auto's. A bottle will last several years at around £6 a bottle. Their red tacky motor grease is good for the hinge pins too. A tube should last for ever at about £5. I have used this stuff for some 12 years and have just started on the second bottle of oil using once per week. It's not as messy as copper slip either !

Same as Westley, it may have even his recommendation that made me try the red lucas oil in the first place.

It has the advantage over grease in that it's easy to clean back off the threads in the barrel (and on the choke) as part of the cleaning regime, a couple of drops around the bottom of the choke threads before replacing them then winds all the way up the threads when re-inserting.

Works just as well on the steel teauge's as the alloy muller chokes I have, neither comes lose when shooting and both are easy to remove for cleaning.

• 2 weeks later...