JL Docherty

Hi ive not long had an air rifle and iam really looking forward to shooting to eat. I would like to go for rabbit, wood pigeon maybe even some pheasent and partridge.

The only thing is is that iam not sure how to gut them, hang them, etc. Ive read a few web sites and one says i should pluck them after hanging them and if so do i gut it before then. Also when hanging how long for and where from ie the head or feet. I really would like some detailed help and look for to any of your comments. Thanks Joe

Pheaseant must be shot in the head or it will not be affected.

Pigeons, breast them out, partage and pheasant can be breasted and have there legs chpped off, or pluck em and gut em. (go up there bum, and pull it out!)

There is a post in the pictures bit about skinning rabbits, but to gut them, slice from the ribcage to the back legs, turn it over, shake it and pull the rest out, do it in the field as it is easyer then.

Welcome to the site!

At the moment, I am hanging pheasants for 2 weeks. After 4 days they will probably still be tough. I think it definitely needs more than a week. The meat gets more tender the longer you hang (due to enzyme action) after 2 weeks they get stronger and they are easier to pluck. You can safely hang for several weeks provided the weather is cold enough.

Don't gut game until you are ready to use it or it will go off.

Rabbits are best gutted within minutes of being killed as they soon spoil (and its easier before rigor mortis sets in). Be careful not to split their guts or your job will be unnecessarily messy. After skinning, soak in salted water for at least 1 hour or overnight. This gets the blood out and makes them moister.

Pigeons must be gutted and used as soon as possible after being shot

Reminds me years ago my ex employer askes me to pluck some pigeon he had shot no probs i said me and my colleage would do them after breakfast after breaky we nipped round the shed to pluck and remove the breastmeat for him the woodys didnt take long to find you could smell them they had been left for four days full of rape we did the first two at arms length then my mate yakked on his one :lol::lol: which made it even worse eventually we had to give up and amit to the boss his pigeons wernt worth bothering with...by the way has anyone ever heard off the rape from a pigeons crop being boiled and eaten becuse i know he used to do this... :lol:

• 4 weeks later...

Well once you have shot a pheasant, if you would rather pluck it do it straight away its much easier i dont see the point hanging it. If you want to breast of the pheasant and you cant be bothered to pluck it i have a little trick i bet none of you have done?

After you have shot and killed the pheasant lay it on its back spread out both the wings and stand on both of them with all your body weight and pull the legs with your hands and it will cleanly rip the pheasant in half and leave the breast open.

It really is amazing! PD