Given an off ticket shotgun. Now what?

39TDS

I was given a shotgun this evening.

The original owner didn't want to renew his ticket. He contacted the police to ask if he could give the gun to his friend, they said yes.

First owner is now dead and second owner doesn't want the gun any more so said he would give it to me.

I went along with my ticket but it wasn't written on his so he just gave it to me.

From previous threads I think the next step is for me to go and see my rfd and get them to get it on my ticket.

Is that right?

Sorry to repeat a regular question, would you be so kind as to repeat the answer for me. Thanks.

Guest cookoff013

why cant you write it on your ticket then inform plod with a nice letter?

be very clear and exact. they cant really argue with that can they?

there may be a followup communication but that is pretty much unavoidable anyway (gun off ticket)

Guest cookoff013

Question if I may. What would stop a disreputable RFD taking the gun and keeping it? Say it was a best London gun or a gun with valuable provenance. Is legal ownership a minefield here?

thats what i`m thinking, maybe the OP should just ring up his FEO and ask what he should do. there is nothing stopping a dealer holding on to it, once its been handed over for inspection. then charging the earth to "release it" however rfd still needs to complete paperwork etc.

its not uncomon for guns to be handed in to rfds.

Question if I may. What would stop a disreputable RFD taking the gun and keeping it? Say it was a best London gun or a gun with valuable provenance. Is legal ownership a minefield here?

Nothing, I suppose, but in that case you would get the police involved immediately. You would be doing nothing illegal in taking the gun to a RFD as in the case of the OP, but then the RFD would be in the position of having to prove where he acquired the gun once you had informed the authorities. There would be no paper trail of the guns history prior to it arriving in the hands of the RFD.

What you do is sort it ASAP as at the moment you are commiting an offence and you have an unregistered firearm in your possession. Whatever gun it is isn't worth loosing your ticket and ending up in court. If you really want it then go down the RFd route, odds are if he was a licence holder it wasn't on his ticket and he has passed the problem onto someone else

I just rang my feo in staffordshire and he told me to get my local rfd to put it on my ticket. After he had run the serial number through there computer to check it had not been stolen or used in a crime of some sort. Hope this helps

That is what I will do. Haven't done it today because they are closed.

I know where it has come from and I know it isn't stolen or been used in a crime. :)

What you do is sort it ASAP as at the moment you are commiting an offence and you have an unregistered firearm in your possession. Whatever gun it is isn't worth loosing your ticket and ending up in court. If you really want it then go down the RFd route, odds are if he was a licence holder it wasn't on his ticket and he has passed the problem onto someone else

+1 on that. A good way to share a cell with a nice man.

you say that but its technicalities that have caused problems for lots of people. Get found with an un registered gun in your safe and you will have problems. In this case it sounds like it was registered but not to the second owner or he would have been able to write it onto yours no problem. Its had a simple outcome but had you sat on it for a couple of months and asked the same question then it could have been different

As a dealer that has received and cleared many guns, I'll outline my handling through Surrey FLD.

An RFD has to report within 7 days every gun put onto, or taken off, his register, unless it is received from or sent to another RFD ( in which case its recorded, but not notified).

So, when an attic find is surrendered into the RFD system, the receiving RFD has to report the details, make, type serial, and source of the surrender.

With every notification, the police run a check to see the gun is not flagged in any way - stolen, missing, etc. They will also be looking to see who previous owners are , and linking the gun back to them. If there are links, they will investigate. Admin errors occur, people are forgetful, guns can have become black, but are still recorded on some-ones certificate. If there are no links, i.e., its an entirely "black" gun that is not recorded anywhere on the National register, provided the circumstances of the find are satisfactory to the Police, the holding dealer is informed that he can then release the gun to an SGC holder, or proceed to sell on the gun, or de-ac it.

Its a smooth and efficient procedure, and no gun I've personally handled in this way has not been legitimised and moved on as a legal gun.

My S1 pump is a totally 'black' gun. It was smuggled into the UK by an old boy on his return to the UK after emigrating to New Zealand in the 1950's, where he had acquired the gun. I took possession of it after an old 'keeper stopped a friend of his from surrendering it to the police in about 2005. The 'keeper asked if I would put it on my ticket as it was too nice to destroy, so I took it my local RFD who discovered it had never been proved, so after entering it in his register, and me waiting for my 1 for 1 to clear, had to 'give' it back to me. It is listed on my ticket as 'given'. It is a takedown Winchester model 12.