adding .17hmr to license help needed with form

d.kenny

hi all

i have on my license .22lr, .22lr semi-auto and .223 calibres but im looking to add a .17hmr for in between

i actually only currently own a .22rf but do not want to do a one for one variation as i will no boubt be wanting a .223 further down the line if the .17hmr does not do what i need

anyhow

im filling in the paperwork and just want to confirm what im putting diwn uis right

in details of fire arm to be required i w need to put

calibre .17hmr

type bolt action riflr or just rifle or ???

reason vermin?

where do i put down about the moderator to?

how much ammo should i be requesting also?

cheers

Not having a go, mate, just playing the devil's advocate. Depending how long you've had your FAC (and not to mention your location/police authority), it may just be beneficial to think up some answers for some awkward questions that you might be asked. You've added neither of the guns you have given reasons for obtaining and now want another for which you apparently don't know its capability judging by what you've said. It might just be advantageous to explain what you need it for and ask on here if it's suitable for that use. Talking of a 17 hmr and a 223 in the same breath is somewhat of a contradiction in terms. You might just find it prudent to one for one the semi auto if you start hearing indications that someone isn't too happy about your request.

Good luck, though.

yes i could one for one the semi-auto but rather than loose a slot that i may need i thought it would make more sense to add the .17hmr as opposed to swapping it

what awkward questions may i be asked?

cheers

wymberley has made some valid comments! How long have you had your FAC and not filled the slots, if it's a while you may have to justify your need for them! As a matter of interest, not having the money to buy them at this stage is not a valid response in the eyes of the Home Office/Police!

The awkward questions may go along the lines of....you haven't filled the slots you already have so why do you need them...and another gun as well?

Edited by Dekers

if its not for range use and you have no need at the moment then you are not showing need so be prepared to loose your slots that are not needed.

Might needed it one day, is not a good reason.

If you need to ask what to write then it would seam that you gun collecting rather than needing. If you need a hmr then One for one on one of the spare slots then if/when you need differant calibre at a later date the use one of your other slots, if you have filled all the slots then pay the £26 for extras.

i understand where you are coming from now

the feo came round to inspect my cabinet the other day as i have moved house and i mentioned it and he said the calibre would probably just be added on as it is smaller than the largest calibre i have a slot for

i thought paying the £26 just made more sense as the .22 semi auto was originally put on by the FEO for if i decided i wanted to sell the first .22 i bought and instead of waiting for a variation before getting a new one i would have a slot i can just go and fill

id say i will get a .223 at some point before my ticket runs out but on one of my current permissions the farmer does not want the foxes touching and i dont get over to my other permission enough at this moment in time to warrant buying a .223 just for foxes

what you recommend then is that im best to perhaps have the .22 semi auto swapped for a .17hmr instead of adding another slot?

im sure if there is the need il be able to add another one in future when my slots are all filled is this correct?

iv had my license a couple of years now

cheers

i understand where you are coming from now

the feo came round to inspect my cabinet the other day as i have moved house and i mentioned it and he said the calibre would probably just be added on as it is smaller than the largest calibre i have a slot for

i thought paying the £26 just made more sense as the .22 semi auto was originally put on by the FEO for if i decided i wanted to sell the first .22 i bought and instead of waiting for a variation before getting a new one i would have a slot i can just go and fill

id say i will get a .223 at some point before my ticket runs out but on one of my current permissions the farmer does not want the foxes touching and i dont get over to my other permission enough at this moment in time to warrant buying a .223 just for foxes

what you recommend then is that im best to perhaps have the .22 semi auto swapped for a .17hmr instead of adding another slot? (or the .223 :good: )

im sure if there is the need il be able to add another one in future when my slots are all filled is this correct? (YES! :yes: )

iv had my license a couple of years now

cheers

You are not really presenting a compelling case for hanging on to your slots/FAC at all. May I suggest you show a slightly more positive attitude/need for your guns/slots when talking with officialdom if you want to hang on to them, let alone add more slots!

Just my opinion.

:yes::good:

Edited by Dekers

Some good advice so far and hopefully this is likewise. It appears from what you've said that your FEO is sympathetic to your cause and the last thing you need is to have that attitude altered. I'd be inclined to have a word, say that experience has shown that a second LR is not necessary but there is a need for the HMR for longer range small vermin control which, as PS has said, is good reason in itself and do a one for one with the semi. Should the question of the unfilled 223 crop up, say what you already have on here and that those circumstances will change in the near future. Keeping your FEO sweet by not 'kicking the *** out of it' is one good way of ensuring sympathetic consideration for any future reasonable request that you might make.

having second thoughts now

want to buy a new tool but unsue as to go .223 or .17hmr

i want to go out more on foot and try and get in to the swing of stalking a few rabbits and maybe the odd fox and thought the .17hmr would be the ideal next step up from my .22lr but i dont know whether to just go straight up to the centre fire and pick longer shots off with that and have a rifle ithat will fulfill its purpose for foxing

what do you think?

Edited by d.kenny

iv decided to just have a variation for the semi auto for a .17hmr

on the paperwork the reason i have put for the rifle is vermin and any other lawful quarry which is what i have down for the.22 and for the sound moderator i put the reason down for health and safety

does that sound about right?>

for the ammunition iv put max to possess 600 which is the same as the .223 or shoul i put more down as i have 1250 for .22???

cheers

iv decided to just have a variation for the semi auto for a .17hmr

on the paperwork the reason i have put for the rifle is vermin and any other lawful quarry which is what i have down for the.22 and for the sound moderator i put the reason down for health and safety

does that sound about right?>

for the ammunition iv put max to possess 600 which is the same as the .223 or shoul i put more down as i have 1250 for .22???

cheers

Sounds about right.

I would put down 1100 for the .17 hmr ammo and see what you get granted. This allows you to buy 1000 rounds at a time with a few at home. To be fair if it takes you 18 months to get through 1000 rounds it may be best to stick to 600. Some FEOs may comment on the frequency of ammo purchase and use this to make an "informed" choice about what quantity you actually need rather then what you want.

hi all

i have on my license .22lr, .22lr semi-auto and .223 calibres but im looking to add a .17hmr for in between

i actually only currently own a .22rf but do not want to do a one for one variation as i will no boubt be wanting a .223 further down the line if the .17hmr does not do what i need

anyhow

im filling in the paperwork and just want to confirm what im putting diwn uis right

in details of fire arm to be required i w need to put

calibre .17hmr

type bolt action riflr or just rifle or ???

reason vermin?

where do i put down about the moderator to?

how much ammo should i be requesting also?

cheers

Help me out here, perhaps I'm just getting to be a cynical old man and maybe I'm missing something, but this is simply not adding up to me!

You already hold a FAC listing 3 firearms, you are talking about getting a .223 (already granted) if the HMR doesn't do what you want (5 times the power, ........."i will no boubt be wanting a .223 further down the line if the .17hmr does not do what i need" ...........so, on the basis you don't even have a HMR on your FAC, how on earth did you ever get the .223 granted....and what about Hornets, etc.?) hmm1.gif.pagespeed.ce.14qswzkL09.gif You have apparently already given valid reasons for the 3 guns you have been granted, also the ammo holding you have for them, (600 for a .223 and 1250 for a .22..on first grant? ???) so you have historically filled in a lot of paperwork, you also know about 1 for 1.

All of a sudden you appear to need a lot of advice!hmm1.gif.pagespeed.ce.14qswzkL09.gif

How did you already manage to get these granted, when by your own admission you don't know if they are what you want/need, and indeed, your need for them seems flaky anyway?!hmm1.gif.pagespeed.ce.14qswzkL09.gif

Edited by Dekers

a bit lost myself here,if you have a .22 now and you say you want to go out on foot stalking rabbits and the odd fox,i think you should get a bit more field craft with the .22,as to me the .223 is way over for bunnies,and the .22 is capable with practice to 120yds on rabbits in the right conditions

it really boils down to how much foxing your doing,if its only the odd fox then get an hmr,which would also suit for rabbits and get rid of the semi auto,if your doing loads of foxing then get the .223