Ferrets

rabbit hunter

Lately I have had two new ferrets. THe first new one I got was claimed to be a good worker. I took it out a few times, and it wouldn't even go down the hole (and yes, there were rabbits in the sets because i watched them go in). That particular ferret was alright with my hob, but when she was put in with one of my other jill's, all they did was fight. I found someone who wanted that ferret, and i gave her away.

Tonight, I got an albino jill, she's okay with the hob, but with the jill, they just 'scuffle' all the time, tails brush up, used their anal scent glands. They have been togther since about 9:20, and they have calmed down a bit now.

Is it usual for strange Jills to NOT GET ON?

Is it usual for a strange hob and jill TO GET ON?

In my experience, most adult ferrets of either sex, take a while to settle down with their new companions.

But, as ferrets are very social creatures, peace and harmony normally prevail.

I have only had to keep un neutered hobs apart.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that all ferrets will work well.

Some don,t.

I would never work ferrets together, that hadn,t been properly "introduced", back in the hutches for a while.

You can,t beat breeding your own.

Keeping a couple of jills from each litter, selling the rest.

I use to keep one hob, but borrow good hobs for mating, to change the bloodlines a bit.

Ferrets that grow up together, work well together.

When my jills are in season this year, I am gonna : -

Albino jill x Sandy hob

I am going to cross these purely for the colours that i will get out of them. Weather any of them turn into good workers, I don't know.

I don't know if the albino is a first time mother, or what. Don't know if I will keep any from this litter.

Polecat Jill (2nd time mother) x somebody else's good working polecat hob

My polecat jill is a good worker, so I am under the impression that if i breed two good workers, I will get good working stock. I will keep 1 jill from this litter.

My other polecat jill (the one from the litter of my other polecat jill). I am gonna get shot of her, because she is absolutely worth-less.

I would like to get rid of my sandy hob and get another good working hob, but I can't, he was my first ever ferret :lol:

LOL

Rabbit Hunter, I think it's always sensible to introduce ferrets to each other slowly.

I put mine in separate hutches, facing each other for a week or so.

Then under supervision, let them in together in short bursts.

I've had a jill and two hobs fall asleep inside a bunny once. They didn't as much as lick it!! After two days I took it out - strange animals they were. You see they don't all make good workers.

If I were you, I'd try the gentle approach mate, regards

P.s - jills can be very aggressive towards hobs, not always the other way round!