Lofting poles - alternatives

Bobba

As I normally have to trolley or carry my equipment I have been looking at alternatives to lofting pole sets. Something which is reasonably lightweight, not too cumbersome, but sturdy enough for the job.

I have seen the alloy 3 or 4 section telescopic poles for window cleaning. These can extend to 6 metre (3 section) or 8 metres (4 section).

Has anybody experience with these poles and their suitability as lofting poles? All constructive thoughts welcomed. Thank you.

I use one of those telescopic poles they sell for flying flags and wind-twirlers from at fairs. It's basically just a cheap fishing pole type of thing. Buy one at least a metre longer than you need because the top section is really thin and useless for our task. Just slide it out and bin it. You have to get the knack of wedging the sections together tight enough to do the job, but not so tight you can't get them apart again, but at around £30 for a 10m pole ( so 9m of useable pole for us) that telescopes down to around 1m in length and doesn't weigh too much I reckon they're a great bit of kit ;)

Check out ' telescopic flag pole 10m ' on flea-bay.

Edited by Longstrider

Drain rods are ok for 3/4mts after that they bend to easily especially in the wind,if you what to get yours decoys up really high use a 10 ounce lead weight with butchers sting tied on,under arm swing has high as you can get it,pull the lead back nice and slow until it drops nice over a branch and lower it down,tie (the lead end)to the top of the decoy and the other end to the underside pull the decoy up through the tree until you are happy with the position and tie off to a branch to keep it stable.2/3 of them decoys up high will pull birds really well.doing it this way can be time consuming try to set your strings the day before,needs a bit of practice put is well worth it,couple of tips avoid doing this on windy days you'll have a nightmare,and on wet days the string does'nt run to well.when the birds have had a lot of pressure and there not decoying with the magnet ect this can pay dividends, give it a go happy shooting.Andy from Lancashire

Drain rods are ok for 3/4mts after that they bend to easily especially in the wind,if you what to get yours decoys up really high use a 10 ounce lead weight with butchers sting tied on,under arm swing has high as you can get it,pull the lead back nice and slow until it drops nice over a branch and lower it down,tie (the lead end)to the top of the decoy and the other end to the underside pull the decoy up through the tree until you are happy with the position and tie off to a branch to keep it stable.2/3 of them decoys up high will pull birds really well.doing it this way can be time consuming try to set your strings the day before,needs a bit of practice put is well worth it,couple of tips avoid doing this on windy days you'll have a nightmare,and on wet days the string does'nt run to well.when the birds have had a lot of pressure and there not decoying with the magnet ect this can pay dividends, give it a go happy shooting.Andy from Lancashire

Before deciding on poles I gave this a try using a catapult to launch the lead. It wasn't windy, nor rainy. I was like an act from Fred Karno's circus. First shot cleared the required branch, ricocheted off the one behind it and tangled!! String still in tree cut off as high as I could reach. Second shot was succesful but in pulling up the two decoys they tangled in the branches!! They're still there!! I know practice makes perfect but it makes me give up the will to live. Telescopic poles it is then.

I used to use the catapult way , fire over the selected branch, temporarily tie off the lead end , attach the decoys spaced apart as fancied then wedge a length of broken branch 45cm + horizontaly into the peg hole in each decoy as though sitting on that branch, hoist the decoys up and tie off close to but not on branches , the birds should look as though sitting on a branch if done correctly when view'd from a distance, keep both lines taught angled away from the tree and tied off securely.

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes the fishing method as discussed on here and I also a old fishing pole 13m in length to put my seeks in the tree. It is. A very easy method and very light and the pieces slot into one and other. You need to make some hangers first.

Edited by Sundodger

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...