Where are the pigeons ?

Cranfield

I have been looking around and they don,t appear to be on the rape, in any great numbers.

I have seen most birds on ivy berries along the hedgerows and in the woods.

The weather round here, has been very wet, which will have affected things.

There is supposed to be a "cold spell" due next week, so it could change. :lol:

Where are you finding them ?

Steady away in Lancashire since early November. Shot several bags of 70-90 on maize gamecrops. As deako mentions its only a matter of waiting for a weeks hard weather and they should really consentrate on rape and other available food sources.

If this miserable mild weather continues we will all struggle to find any big numbers of pigeon.

huge flocks hitting rape my way, (north east) shooting today was approached by an adjoining farmer said have you got many? and next question? can you shoot my fields and best of all a bloody marvelous roost wood ANY TIME I like?he even showed me around and how best to get my gear to the fields ther is a god?

cheers K

Guest flightline

There were plenty round where I was shooting on Sunday, favouring cover crops. Some on rape though it ain`t up to much round here. Maybe that`s the reason why they are not hard on it in all areas-the crop`s poor in a lot of places.

<_< Saw Flock of 400 to 500 birds last week on pasture land between rape fields. Biggest Flock I have seen for some time. Stopped the car and walked the field to see what they were on................ Early Clover. Shot the rape fields next to it on the following days........... Waste of bloody time, even my super dooper all singing all dancing, universal panacea, cure for of ills.. Pigeon Magnet wouldnt bring them in... Frustrating or what, but clover tastes sweeter than rape if your a pigeon.

There are a lot round our neck of the woods right now, but they all seem to be going for Ivy berries.

I put a load of decoys out on the paddock and sat in the hedge and they just flew straight past them. Bloody things.

Was out there for an hour before I got cold enough to go back in and take the jokes.

Mind you, I'm going to have another try again when the snow goes.

Wookie

Its really good fun shooting pigeons at night i walk along the woods on a open field and shin the light in the trees, some sit there like spactics and others fly up high and hover like kestrels because its so dark and they cant see what they are doing or where to go. Most of the time i do not even need my gun to shoot them i normally get 2 or 3 with just the lamp, as they fly keep the lamp on them and 1 because its dark and they cant see where they are flying and 2 the lamp blinds them and they just fly into poles or trees, you have to see it to believe it!

Its really good fun shooting pigeons at night i walk along the woods on a open field and shin the light in the trees, some sit there like spactics and others fly up high and hover like kestrels because its so dark and they cant see what they are doing or where to go. Most of the time i do not even need my gun to shoot them i normally get 2 or 3 with just the lamp, as they fly keep the lamp on them and 1 because its dark and they cant see where they are flying and 2 the lamp blinds them and they just fly into poles or trees, you have to see it to believe it!

Pigeon Decoyer,It is ILLEGAL to shoot pigeons at night with a lamp.

We all break the law sometimes through ignorance,but to do it

Knowing it is illegal is just stupid. I hope this helps you stay Legal. :< A.R.P.