coterminous Certs

BangBangNik

I have just applied for the grant of a fac and as my shotgun cert runs out in October 2016, thought for the extra £10 I would renew that at the same time. This morning I received this email from the licenseing dept-

"I note that you have indicated that you wish to renew your shotgun certificate at the same time so that both certificates run coterminously. Unfortunately, as your shotgun certificate does not expire until October 2016, we are unable to renew it so far in advance (apologies as I was not aware of this at the time of our previous correspondence). When you renew your shotgun certificate in 2016 we will then be able to renew it to expire at the same time as your firearm certificate, allowing you to benefit from the reduced renewal rate at future renewals."

So if I read this correctly, when I come to renew next year I will have the pleasure of only getting 3years of certificate for my money!!!!

Has anybody else had this experience?

no my sgc was only 2 years old when i got my fac ,and i went co terminus on the feo,s advice as it would save me dollars long term.what a load of carp.are u in BASC or similar give em a ring .if u do the 2 together it minimums all the admin,and you save money

I have just applied for the grant of a fac and as my shotgun cert runs out in October 2016, thought for the extra £10 I would renew that at the same time. This morning I received this email from the licenseing dept-

"I note that you have indicated that you wish to renew your shotgun certificate at the same time so that both certificates run coterminously. Unfortunately, as your shotgun certificate does not expire until October 2016, we are unable to renew it so far in advance (apologies as I was not aware of this at the time of our previous correspondence). When you renew your shotgun certificate in 2016 we will then be able to renew it to expire at the same time as your firearm certificate, allowing you to benefit from the reduced renewal rate at future renewals."

So if I read this correctly, when I come to renew next year I will have the pleasure of only getting 3years of certificate for my money!!!!

Its the way it works, the coterminous always runs with the FAC dates, so, if you have FAC and SGC and want to go coterminous, you will almost always lose some time!

Seems to be a case of different standards for different forces yet again. The pessimist in me can't help but think it's all about the £££'s but I dont really want to rock the boat and end up with my application going to the bottom of the pile. Just going to have to suck it up and go along with them I guess.

As everybody else has said, you will probably lose some time with the first coterminous application, but from the renewal onwards you'll be back on track for the 5 year period. :good:

And save money every renewal time. £40 each for FAC /Shotgun renewal. £50 for coterminous, so a saving of £30. This my 2nd (or maybe 3rd) coterminous.

Seems to be a case of different standards for different forces yet again. The pessimist in me can't help but think it's all about the £££'s but I dont really want to rock the boat and end up with my application going to the bottom of the pile. Just going to have to suck it up and go along with them I guess.

What makes you say that?

Reading the comments, some people seem to say they have done the same as I am trying to do with no problems, sometimes on the advice of f.e.o. And others saying that's just the way it is.

I'm not following, what do you mean with no problems?

If you have separate FAC and SGC and want to go coterminous then the date works from the FAC date, so it is almost certain you will lose some time on the SGC. In principle, you can only go coterminous when your FAC needs renewing or is granted, or on initial grant of both at the same time.

If the SGC ends a short (ish) time before the FAC then it is not unheard of for the region to issue a temporary SGC to cover the gap before the coterminous starts.

There are no problems in essence getting a coterminous for anyone, but most will have to face the fact they are going to lose some time/money initially, but this will pay back handsomely over the years under the current system!

:good:

Edited by Dekers

This is your first grant of a fac yes ?

it sounds like they carnt be bothered with the paper work.

they should cancel your current sgc and issue you with a new fac/sgc running coterminously from the cancellation date of your current sgc.

I lost 2yrs on my sgc last year when I applied for my fac...it shouldn't matter how long is left on your sgc,,that's your loss not theirs !

Edited by simjakcal

I'm not following, what do you mean with no problems?

If you have separate FAC and SGC and want to go coterminous then the date works from the FAC date, so it is almost certain you will lose some time on the SGC. In principle, you can only go coterminous when your FAC needs renewing or is granted, or on initial grant of both at the same time.

If the SGC ends a short (ish) time before the FAC then it is not unheard of for the region to issue a temporary SGC to cover the gap before the coterminous starts.

There are no problems in essence getting a coterminous for anyone, but most will have to face the fact they are going to lose some time/money initially, but this will pay back handsomely over the years under the current system!

:good:

I think we may have got our wires crossed. This application is for the grant of my first FAC. I already hold a shotgun cert that has about 20months left to run. I wanted to renew my SGC at the same time as the FAC grant for ease any to save money upon renewal. I understand that I will be losing the 20 months remaining on the SGC but effictivley I would be gaining an extra 3 years for £10. Lancashire are saying it is not possible to renew my SGC while it still has time left on it but they will make it coterminous when it runs out so I will be paying full price for a 3year cert.

Why is there an option on the current price list for the "grant of FAC and renewal of SGC in order to make coterminous" if it's not possible.

As some have said, they have had 4+ years for their cert to run when they renewed it to make coterminous.

This is your first grant of a fac yes ?

it sounds like they carnt be bothered with the paper work.

they should cancel your current sgc and issue you with a new fac/sgc running coterminously from the cancellation date of your current sgc.

I lost 2yrs on my sgc last year when I applied for my fac...it shouldn't matter how long is left on your sgc,,that's your loss not theirs !

This is how I feel about the matter.