Never will I do that again.

fenboy

All this puts me off wildfowling! Do you blokes shoot anything that doesn't taste rank? I couldn't in all conscience shoot a duck or goose unless someone, preferably me, was going to eat it.

Plenty of it is perfectly fine , teal is delicious , Mallard very good , all the geese are fine , Widgeon can vary a bit depending on what they have been eating .

The only things off my list is tuffted duck , I have not shot a tuffty for years as they taste poo and now Shoveler ,which I will try my best not to shoot by design , though with the hen being easily mistaken for something else in the half light I perhaps will not avoid one for ever but at least they are not that commonly shot anyway.

Almost certainly that was the case.

The same thing happens with game birds and wildfowl. If they are not shot dead they will bleed and adrenalin will pump round their body creating an unusual chemical taste. I found this out to my cost with a mallard which was not dead when it was shot and I had to kill it. When I cooked it the meat was filled with blood and it had to go in the bin.

Should have hung the muntjac for a few days, same with all deer. All meat needs time to rest.

Killing a eating a chicken the same day is horrible as well, unless stewed.

Eat everything I shoot on the foreshore. Soak the ducks in salted water and cook.

Mallard is particularly good.

Edited by Richie10

Should have hung the muntjac for a few days, same with all deer. All meat needs time to rest.

Killing a eating a chicken the same day is horrible as well, unless stewed.

Eat everything I shoot on the foreshore. Soak the ducks in salted water and cook.

Mallard is particularly good.

nothing to do with hanging, had hung deer and fresh. Hung admittedly nicer, but fresh fried medallions of muntjac, delicious ! :)

I think it is the fat that makes them taste fishy. I shoot two or three a year and since I have breasted them and used the fillets I have had no complaints. Saying that a guy in our club does them Chinese style and loves them. I believe if the duck happen to be eating something that taints the meat you can't do a lot about it. Tufted are bad at times but a bad Wigeon is by far the worst and completely inedible but for me it's rare I get a bad one.

The truth is that it depends where you shoot them and what they have been feeding on. I used to shoot alot of tufties, pochard and goldeneye on freshwater. They were great to eat. But then so was everthing. There was no secret. They fed almost exclusively in freshwater all winter. Its the tide that makes them stink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Most species I have shot have been edible on fresh marshes, except a few gadwall whose leg meat was 'fishy' the breast meat was fine and shovellor, most people I gave a couple of duck to rated tufties the best so it must be what they feed on?? Never eaten coastal goldeneye or tufties, though I did shoot some, I gave them to a friend lol