Help me identify a bird I have seen a couple of times please.

SO3isme

The feathered kind!

I have no picture, but I'll describe it as best I can.

Seen a solitary individual in the same place twice over a water meadow in Surrey next to a small lake.

Size - medium - between Thrush and Wood Pigeon.

White body, Dark (probably black) wings.

Quite similar to a Lapwing, but wing shape and flight completely different.

Fast flight with pointed 'swept back' wings.

Two tone whistling call in flight.

I think it must be a smallish sea bird like a gull or tern.

Any thoughts - pictures for identification?

I have walked in the area regularly for years and am pretty sure I've never seen it before and am not mistaking it for something 'normal'.

Cheers!

I think this is what you've seen!

//<![CDATA[

(function(){var g=encodeURIComponent,h=window,k=document,l="width",m="documentElement",n="height",p="length",q=this,r=function(b,d){var a=b.split("."),c=q;a[0]in c||!c.execScript||c.execScript("var "+a[0]);for(var e;a[p]&&(e=a.shift());)a[p]||void 0===d?c[e]?c=c[e]:c=c[e]={}:c[e]=d};var t=function(b){var d=b[p];if(0<d){for(var a=Array(d),c=0;c<d;c++)a[c]=b[c];return a}return[]};var u=function(b){var d=h;if(d.addEventListener)d.addEventListener("load",b,!1);else if(d.attachEvent)d.attachEvent("onload",b);else{var a=d.onload;d.onload=function(){b.call(this);a&&a.call(this)}}};var v,w=function(b,d,a,c,e){this.f=b;this.h=d;this.i=a;this.c=e;this.e={height:h.innerHeight||k[m].clientHeight||k.body.clientHeight,width:h.innerWidth||k[m].clientWidth||k.body.clientWidth};this.g=c;this.b={};this.a=[];this.d={}},x=function(b,d){var a,c,e=d.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");if(a=e)if(a=!(e in b.d))if(0>=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=k.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in h?h.pageYOffset:(k[m]||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in

h?h.pageXOffset:(k[m]||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e[n]&&c<=b.e[l])}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};w.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&x(this,b)};r("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){v.checkImageForCriticality(b)});r("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){y(v)});var y=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c<d[p];++c)a=a.concat(t(k.getElementsByTagName(d[c])));if(0!=a[p]&&a[0].getBoundingClientRect){for(c=0;d=a[c];++c)x(b,d);a="oh="+b.i;b.c&&(a+="&n="+b.c);if(d=0!=b.a[p])for(a+="&ci="+g(b.a[0]),c=1;c<b.a[p];++c){var e=","+g(b.a[c]);131072>=a[p]+e[p]&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+g(JSON.stringify(z())),131072>=a[p]+e[p]&&(a+=e),d=!0);A=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f;if(h.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(h.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(s){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(B){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+g(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},z=function(){var b={},d=k.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d[p])return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c=0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0<a[l]&&0<a[n]&&0<a.naturalWidth&&0<a.naturalHeight||e in b&&a[l]>=b[a.src].k&&a[n]>=b[a.src].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a[l],rh:a[n],ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},A="";r("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return A});r("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var s=new w(b,d,a,e,f);v=s;c&&u(function(){h.setTimeout(function(){y(s)},0)})});})();pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=ajax&section=topics&do=quote&t=303788&p=2738427&md5check=2532a37db308e9bffd0065a1c92dcff6&isRte=1,iruQp7rrl-,true,false,f-dFEH96ZWg');

//]]>550px-Green_Sandpiper.jpg

A Green Sandpiper

In this picture the wings are not as dark as I have seen, in flight if the bird is flying away from you it has a white rump and in contrast to this the wings do look very dark.

Can anyone identify this one , I spotted it the other day is quite colourful, I would like to hear its mating call.

its the heavy breasted grey teeeser,the mating call sounds very much like oooh come here big boy :lol:

Edited by telf

Wow! Sorry to be late returning to this party. Thanks for all the help. I also think the Sandpiper is very likely. It was cold, so it could have been a penguin blown slightly off course. Slightly too small to be a Phil Spencer.

Thanks again, I'll check the other suggestions too.