Heart pounding!

Underdog

Yep, it was pounding!

It has been a while since I had had a fox in my sight! But when after a rabbit this feller came walking through towards me my heart started thumping like a good'n!

I managed to calm my self as he walked past my right and I stopped him with a grunt at about 40yds.

I ignored him glued on me as I sent a CCI subbie just behind his right front leg. Rearing up he ran back and to my left but after forty yards or so piled up and I emptied the magazine on him.

Who needs a big gun :)

SAM_1221_zpsaf7benxq.jpg

Has some mange on his rump so no tail to take home!

Underdog.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, some of you are wrong I am afraid!

With a 22 the chances of just smashing a jaw and the fox getting away to starve to death in agony for days or longer are for to much a risk for me. The same shot to deer's heads is not advised for the same reasons.

Any seasoned hunter of deer will know that one through the ribs is a killing shot. That does not mean it will always drop to the shot but never the less it is very dead! As this fox was succumbing to it's fatal shot across it's lungs I simple aided the process, why? Because I could! I could of chose not to sure, but I did, so what!

Put it another way, a few years back when I was faced with a large red hind side on in perfect conditions I still chose to shoot it through the ribs and not the head. The puff of needles off the far side told me she is dead although she trotted off for 100yds. Now, what if I had succumb to a false notion that I have to drop her on the spot? What if that pressure encouraged me to go for her head and she moved it just as the bullet was sent? What if she ran off with her jaw hanging off her face? Then my friends you all would be calling me an idiot!

So, this fox was shot perfect. Despite what some think, as soon as I saw that mark in it's fur I knew that fox was going to see darkness earlier than he thought this morning!

So, your wrongly criticizing By all means give your opinion but please, please don't tell your granny how to suck eggs!

U :good:

I'm with underdog, yes I have head shot and yes I have heart lung shot too, you do very often get a little run with the heart lung shot but they are dead every time, I have shot a few foxes with half a jaw in my time too, how they survive I will never know, I must admit I haven't had the 22 out for a while, favor the 17 HMR these days. Shot a lot of foxes with 22 as long as you are sensible with range and have the welfare of the animal as your priority all is good. Keep up the good work underdog, another fantastic read, I shot 1 today, dog fox curled up asleep in the sun, crept to within 20 yards and an oz of 5 shot out the hushpower 20 bore kept him asleep.

I'm with underdog, yes I have head shot and yes I have heart lung shot too, you do very often get a little run with the heart lung shot but they are dead every time, I have shot a few foxes with half a jaw in my time too, how they survive I will never know, I must admit I haven't had the 22 out for a while, favor the 17 HMR these days. Shot a lot of foxes with 22 as long as you are sensible with range and have the welfare of the animal as your priority all is good. Keep up the good work underdog, another fantastic read, I shot 1 today, dog fox curled up asleep in the sun, crept to within 20 yards and an oz of 5 shot out the hushpower 20 bore kept him asleep.

That sounds exciting. I love being close in day light on them. No camera?

U.

I've took a photo on my mobile but it's an old phone so not great, and I don't know how to upload, I saw 2 today in the daylight, just don't know where they keep coming from! I crept up to and shot a vixen asleep about 6months ago, I do love it when a plan comes together, love shooting foxes with shotgun too something satisfying about being up close and personal and out witting such a clever animal. I'm sure some one will have a moan about using a shot gun on foxes! Forget the haters underdog you will always get people that think they are better than you, wiser than you but 9 times out of 10 they are just jealous of what you have and what you do. Love the write ups mate keep them coming! Sure u must have a black powder grand finale to end the game season on Saturday the 31st, lol.

I've took a photo on my mobile but it's an old phone so not great, and I don't know how to upload, I saw 2 today in the daylight, just don't know where they keep coming from! I crept up to and shot a vixen asleep about 6months ago, I do love it when a plan comes together, love shooting foxes with shotgun too something satisfying about being up close and personal and out witting such a clever animal. I'm sure some one will have a moan about using a shot gun on foxes! Forget the haters underdog you will always get people that think they are better than you, wiser than you but 9 times out of 10 they are just jealous of what you have and what you do. Love the write ups mate keep them coming! Sure u must have a black powder grand finale to end the game season on Saturday the 31st, lol.

Hi

I don't know underdog but i have just read this thread again and where does it say HATE,SOMEONE is BETTER or is JEALOUS.

I have commented on underdogs pictures before and find what he gets up to fascinating.

But i don't have fox control on my ticket for my 22lr so therefore i shoot them with my 223 i don't enjoy it neither but i have to because they eat my ducks and pheasants..

I do not know underdog either but what he did today was correct, above board, and he showed he cared for the animals welfare even though it was more than likely dead before he emptied a mag in to it, he wanted to make sure, how was you tut tut post justified what was there to tut tut about exactly? He did nothing wrong. Foxes eat all our pheasants and ducks and not to mention all other wildlife, it's not just yours. Far too many people are far to fast to criticise others actions.

Hi

I don't know underdog but i have just read this thread again and where does it say HATE,SOMEONE is BETTER or is JEALOUS.

I have commented on underdogs pictures before and find what he gets up to fascinating.

But i don't have fox control on my ticket for my 22lr so therefore i shoot them with my 223 i don't enjoy it neither but i have to because they eat my ducks and pheasants..

I personally think there was no need for the "tut tut".Yes,opinions are fine but the "tut tut" gave the opinion that he had done something wrong.

I do not know underdog either but what he did today was correct, above board, and he showed he cared for the animals welfare even though it was more than likely dead before he emptied a mag in to it, he wanted to make sure, how was you tut tut post justified what was there to tut tut about exactly? He did nothing wrong. Foxes eat all our pheasants and ducks and not to mention all other wildlife, it's not just yours. Far too many people are far to fast to criticise others actions.

Really..................He cared for the animal,not being funny but giving it a fish supper is caring,a full mag of bullets is most certainly not.

The fact is that it is still the wrong caliber for shooting foxes.

ATB

Neil

Really..................He cared for the animal,not being funny but giving it a fish supper is caring,a full mag of bullets is most certainly not.

The fact is that it is still the wrong caliber for shooting foxes.

ATB

Neil

Close range the 22 lr is no problem with foxes, I have had many with it.