Heart pounding!

Underdog

Lol. It use to say oxo on buses but I never found any on one lol.

22 err was the right calibre because in the picture the fox is dead!

Youngie, read my lips. I did not need to empty my clip, its fate was sealed. Its fate was sealed by venting its lungs.

Youngie, not much stuff survives with vented lungs!

No, it is not on my ticket too, use to be, but them becoming politically correct changed the wording.

It also does not tell me where to have a poo in the woods so you know what, I will use my discretion and even throw a little common sense in.k

Here is another shot with a 22.

9422williams007_zpsea02d970.jpg

Here is one shot with a huge 357! Oh it needed some follow up shots, long story. But some might blame the calibre! Not really, it was just unique circumstances.

retrievertia003_zpsda9ccdc5.jpg

U:-)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The other aspect to this is I had been visiting this ground for weeks in pursuit of these foxes, about three at a guess. Forsaking many a pheasant hunt with my smoke poles and got no where.

Yesterday I went there to collect a rabbit or to when this fox turned up.

Do some folk really believe I should of pass up on the shot bearing mind all the previous efforts?

" Oh fiddle, wrong gun. Yoo hoo Mr fox" lol, not likely!

If some one keeps poultry and they have the wrong gun in hand as a fox was killing I tell you now in no way would they pass on the shot!

U:-)

Edited by Underdog

I've took a photo on my mobile but it's an old phone so not great, and I don't know how to upload, I saw 2 today in the daylight, just don't know where they keep coming from! I crept up to and shot a vixen asleep about 6months ago, I do love it when a plan comes together, love shooting foxes with shotgun too something satisfying about being up close and personal and out witting such a clever animal. I'm sure some one will have a moan about using a shot gun on foxes! Forget the haters underdog you will always get people that think they are better than you, wiser than you but 9 times out of 10 they are just jealous of what you have and what you do. Love the write ups mate keep them coming! Sure u must have a black powder grand finale to end the game season on Saturday the 31st, lol.

Nowt wrong with a shotgun. It matters not to me be it a bow or a 300winmag. The weakest link in the chain will always be the operator! And no amount of compensation will ever rectify that!

Practice on the other hand will hone the operator. Strengthening the weak link.

Crack on :-)

U.

Nowt wrong with a shotgun. It matters not to me be it a bow or a 300winmag. The weakest link in the chain will always be the operator! And no amount of compensation will ever rectify that!

Practice on the other hand will hone the operator. Strengthening the weak link.

Crack on :-)

U.

Well done fully agree. Nothing wrong with 22LR at 40 yards for fox, or a bit more if conditions are right. Shotgun is fine for fox with right load and sensible range, I do not like to see folk having a go with 6 shot at 40 yards. With centre fire rifle the ability of the operator will be the limiting factor.

Keep up the good work, sorry to see the negative replies on this topic.

personaly i would have put one into its head at that range , but , that is purely personal choice , underdog took what he judged to be the right shot at that particular time , the fact that he is holding a dead fox in the pic proves that he took the right shot , well done underdog , your posts and pictures are always very interesting mate , keep up the good work :good: .

No, some of you are wrong I am afraid!

With a 22 the chances of just smashing a jaw and the fox getting away to starve to death in agony for days or longer are for to much a risk for me. The same shot to deer's heads is not advised for the same reasons.

Any seasoned hunter of deer will know that one through the ribs is a killing shot. That does not mean it will always drop to the shot but never the less it is very dead! As this fox was succumbing to it's fatal shot across it's lungs I simple aided the process, why? Because I could! I could of chose not to sure, but I did, so what!

Put it another way, a few years back when I was faced with a large red hind side on in perfect conditions I still chose to shoot it through the ribs and not the head. The puff of needles off the far side told me she is dead although she trotted off for 100yds. Now, what if I had succumb to a false notion that I have to drop her on the spot? What if that pressure encouraged me to go for her head and she moved it just as the bullet was sent? What if she ran off with her jaw hanging off her face? Then my friends you all would be calling me an idiot!

So, this fox was shot perfect. Despite what some think, as soon as I saw that mark in it's fur I knew that fox was going to see darkness earlier than he thought this morning!

So, your wrongly criticizing By all means give your opinion but please, please don't tell your granny how to suck eggs!

U :good:

was not criticising your shot placement at all, but think at sensible ranges the head shot is favourable with the .22lr. The .22 doesn't have the devastating effect on a body cavity as the larger centrefires do. I've shot hundreds of deer and foxes with the .243, and always take " engine room " shots. ( a deer or foxes head that decides to move at 100 plus yards is a long suffering injury waiting to happen! ) with the exception of enclosed park deer. I would not even shoot at a fox with a.22 over say 70yrds, but closer than that fine, but head shots for me and pretty much every professional pest controller in the country ( urban) .

the .22 has accounted for more fox's than any other calibre over the years many moons ago it was pretty much all people ever used other than the odd shot gun one so unless fox's are now bread a whole lot tougher than they were 40 year ago i am sure they will still do the job fine,

and as for the one underdog shot only he was there and being a seasoned shooter only he would know what was the correct shot on that fox

colin

Edited by colin lad

Thanks gents. Not up set at all. I seek no glory in these photo's, actually I feel nothing but admiration to the Creator of all life! I celebrate creation with my photos.

That aside, pest controllers are often under pressure to ensure instant death. Not based on well fare but more to do on the whim of city folk and their pre conceived concepts, probably ideas picked from a soap!

The idea massive destruction is needed in an animals chest is a red herring also and soon if that notion continues we will be asking an RPG or similar!

When I wore a lad we use to use something called common sense, there was loads of it about.

Now though we wait for an expert to come along and tell us everything lol :-))

U. Lol

no problem with using a .22 on foxes, totally agree with a follow on shot to ensure a kill as soon as possible, just think a whole mag was a bit overkill but there again its not as if you killed it for food, I use air rifles on rabbits and often put a finishing pellet in its head even if I know its dead just bouncing with nerves, try to put the finisher through the top of the spine tho

Edited by neil82

He who is without sin, cast the first stone, Or summat like that.

U, You and me both, and lots of others, know what a .22lr will do to a fox, Lost count of how many I've shot over the years with mine.

It was the go to gun for them up to a few years ago,

I wonder who is going to say I've never lost a target in my life, ( Pigeon, Crow, Pheasant, Magpie. Rabbit ) Hit with a shotgun and flew on for any reason. Could have been to long a range, bad shooting. They're just as wounded and will die badly. (Liars we've all done it) not happy but we have.

Ignore the doubters U and keep doing the things you do best. :good:

All these positive comments confirm what I believed to be correct in the first place, shot another fox in daylight with the 20 bore hushpower, that's 2 in 2 days, saw it working a rough meadow, sat where I believed it would come and true enough it appeared 30 yards away staring at me, oz of 5 shot sorted it, another dog.

Thanks gents. Not up set at all. I seek no glory in these photo's, actually I feel nothing but admiration to the Creator of all life! I celebrate creation with my photos.

That aside, pest controllers are often under pressure to ensure instant death. Not based on well fare but more to do on the whim of city folk and their pre conceived concepts, probably ideas picked from a soap!

The idea massive destruction is needed in an animals chest is a red herring also and soon if that notion continues we will be asking an RPG or similar!

When I wore a lad we use to use something called common sense, there was loads of it about.

Now though we wait for an expert to come along and tell us everything lol :-))

U. Lol

when shooting foxes in someone's back garden in urban areas, you need to drop fox on the spot to contain it in said garden, afraid heart/ lung shot rarely does that. Think the urban antis would have plenty of ammo against us if they kept finding dead foxes in their back gardens!