help with dogs eye

evo

ok been beating today and my springer has worked well all day and has been fine,,

came home and in the last hour his left eye looks a little sore and red internally, is there anything I can bath this with to ease it for him or is it a callout to the vet,

he has been fine in himself but it does look a little red and sore, I have had a good look and cant see anything so can I bathe it with anything like obtrex etc

you can use pretty much most human products, odds are it will be better by the morning but any eye drops you have might help. If you have a late pharmacy nearby you could pop down. However and I'm sure someone will have a go but you will need to rub your own eye a few times and say its for you as they won't give you anything if you say its for your dog. Despite the active ingredients being the same they aren't approved for animals etc

Make up a tea bag in boiled water in a mug. Let tea bag with a bit of the water cool in a clean dish. Use rest of teabag water to make a brew and drink while the teabag cools. Wipe eye gently with luke warm wet tea bag. Repeat before bedtime with a fresh wet tea bag. If it is improving by morning keep this up for a few days morning and night. If its still red in the morning, trip to the Vet

thanks for the replies chaps,,i,ve rinsed it out with saline so far , he seems fine but it just looks a bit red, he,s been in the wars this last week, as on Thursday he came running back out of cover with blood pouring from his mouth, when I whistled him back to me his mouth looked to be pouring with blood, I opened his mouth and a spray of blood was spurting from the bottom of his tongue, I nearly died as we where miles from a vet and I thought he was going to bleed to death, anyway whilst waiting for the first aid kit to arrive it just stopped bleeding, well spurting on its own,,that was a big relief,

got him home and he was limping so gave him the weekend off, took him out today and now hes got a sore eye

god love him,,but he love being out beating and picking up

will try the teabag trick as I,ve heard that one before

Edited by evo

Make up a tea bag in boiled water in a mug. Let tea bag with a bit of the water cool in a clean dish. Use rest of teabag water to make a brew and drink while the teabag cools. Wipe eye gently with luke warm wet tea bag. Repeat before bedtime with a fresh wet tea bag. If it is improving by morning keep this up for a few days morning and night. If its still red in the morning, trip to the Vet

Yes. I had a dog that lost the use of one eye and after spending many hundreds of pounds at a vets on everything under the sun a top vetinery opthalmist that we consulted said that if we had used a tea bag in the first place the dog might not have lost the use of the eye. Easy in hindsight.

Um, don't **** about with teabags, get it to a vets pronto. Eyes are funny things, you only have two of them and they don't tend to grow back. Thus speaks the words of a man that spent many thousands trying to save the eye of his Cocker. I was down there within an hour of the injury, and spent eight months battling to save it. It may just be a scratch but better to get something sterile and medicinal on it rather than a scabby old tea bag.

Just my opinion though.

Um, don't **** about with teabags, get it to a vets pronto. Eyes are funny things, you only have two of them and they don't tend to grow back. Thus speaks the words of a man that spent many thousands trying to save the eye of his Cocker. I was down there within an hour of the injury, and spent eight months battling to save it. It may just be a scratch but better to get something sterile and medicinal on it rather than a scabby old tea bag.

Just my opinion though.

Even my vet approves of the tea bag as an early treatment.

Not a scabby old tea bag, a brand new one every time.

Its something to do with the tannic acid in the tea cleaning and reducing infection and inflammation.

update on Archie my springer,,

bathed his eye with saline first, then boiled some water with a small teabag, bathed his eye with the tea bag and low and behold he is fine this morning,,i gave it another flush with saline and his eye looks fine, back to normal and no red anywhere,

thanks for the tips, or should I say PG Tips :lol::lol: :lol:

thanks again all but all is well now

cheers Evo

Well done to you for checking your dog over after being out.

Years ago one of my dogs licking at her stomach so i checked her over and right by the incision when she had been spayed was a perfectly round wound the size of a 22 pellet with what looked suture thread sticking out, She had been spayed 2 years previous so that didn't add up, took her to the vets who pulled on the thread and out came 2 sections of a dried up grass dart (flea dart to me as a kid)

Vet said it would have kept going in until it disappeared completely.

After that i checked every time she went out, i still do it now.Horrible bloody things.

Edited by photon

bathed his eye with saline first, then boiled some water with a small teabag, bathed his eye with the tea bag and low and behold he is fine this morning,,i gave it another flush with saline and his eye looks fine, back to normal and no red anywhere,

cheers Evo

I've been through this recently with my own dog, she got spiked by a bramble over christmas.

Ended up going to the vet for drops and anti inflammatories.

He recommended the tea bag too but said the saline was a bad idea because it can really irritate the eye and cause more swelling.

I'd keep going with the teabag a couple of times a day and keep the dog out of strong sunlight and windy conditions for a couple of days.

If there's any flare up at all then straight to the vet.

bw

Edited by Bogwoppit

cheers Evo

Good NEW Teabag >> well after youv'e made a cup of tea with it :good:. not a SCABBY old one. :no:. You could make a up just tea and water let it cool and use that to bathe eye. Didn't recon much on the saline bit because if you get salty water in your eye when swimming ect it does sting a bit. Still well done you and a repaired dog ready to go again. :good:

Edited by fortune

Tetley, Typhoo or Yorkshire Tea?