Air Rifle For FAC Use?

oozelumbird

Does anyone have any advice on which Airgun is best for uprating to FAC standered.

Its for rabbit shooting at 50yds but i can use anything other than an air rifle. I know 12ft lbs can kill at 30 yds and somtimes more but i want a clean kill everytime. So would be looking at 75ft Lbs. Thanks for your help.

Does anyone have any advice on which Airgun is best for uprating to FAC standered.

Its for rabbit shooting at 50yds but i can use anything other than an air rifle. I know 12ft lbs can kill at 30 yds and somtimes more but i want a clean kill everytime. So would be looking at 75ft Lbs. Thanks for your help.

I did a similar topic that i created a while back:

http://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/ind...l=FAC+Air+rifle

Theoben from what I know is best costs around £150-200 to uprate it and is more than capable of giving 55ftlbs + which will take rabbits out to 100yds+ easily. 75ftlbs is not really practical from a standard air rifle, you might as well get HMR for that. 50yds is reallly possible with a 25ftlbs from what I understand.

Also you will find a .17HMR with decent glass is cheaper than a theoben rapid set up. So if you really are set on buying a rifle for that purpose be prepared to pay a lot more for a less practical rifle. A CZ .17hmr is only around the £300 mark with another £200-300 for scope still leaves you around £800 better off than buying the Rapid.

yeah I agree with Naddan, but some people prefer the air rifles because there is no need for live rounds. The Theobens are supposed to be really good. You can get Daystate Air Rangers at 80ft/lbs!! :good: think you can get them at 40ft/lbs (more than capable). think they are just under £900!

the rapids are amazing (cyber you can have a go when we meet up). but to be honest to do it right you will need to send it off to theoben or others. if you have the land for a FAC try a .22lr or a .17hmr.

i used both a fac airrifle and a .22lr an dboth have advantages and disadvantages.

pm me if you need more info

lol, wish I did, its going to skint me but too good a deal to miss! and i LOVE daystates!! :good::/

Thanks for the help, with the land these rabbits are on i cant use anything other than an air rifle, typical as i can see there are cheaper options.

I have a Daystate ranger but didnt realise they could manage 75ft lbs. I persume it has to be carried by a RFD and i cant do it?.

Failing that ill follow your advice and send my Theoben MFR off to be uprated.

You have saved my a small fortune - Thanks

lol, wish I did, its going to skint me but too good a deal to miss! and i LOVE daystates!! :/ :yp:

Thanks for the help, with the land these rabbits are on i cant use anything other than an air rifle, typical as i can see there are cheaper options.

I have a Daystate ranger but didnt realise they could manage 75ft lbs. I persume it has to be carried by a RFD and i cant do it?.

i think the .22 can be upped to 80ft/lbs (I know you can buy them new at 80) but the .177 can only be upped to 18ftlbs. How do you find the Ranger?? if its anywhere near as accurate as my Daystate X2 I will be extremely happy!!

lol, wish I did, its going to skint me but too good a deal to miss! and i LOVE daystates!! :lol: :o

well mate you earn the money spend it haw you want... its only envy :good:

Well by the sounds of it you have some very nice weaponry aswell!!! :lol:

The ranger never sees the day light, too heavy and the bipod is a pain. Looks great though. Shoots like a dream if you can bed down and wait. But to carry and shoot from standing it is not the gun for me. I have never owned a Daystate MK3 but hear they are the very best.

Theoben MFR will take some beating. Ive been collecting Air rifles for the last 5 years, Pre-charged are just a work of art, but the Theoben SLR98 is great. No charging or messing. Just accuracy.

Logun S-16 was the worse gun i ever had.

If you want an air rifle for hunting then stop faffing about and get one designed for the job ie a mk1 or 2 rapid I have two both modded by cs guns should say "uprated" set @ 30 and 40ftlbs both use 16g aa fields both will hit the kill zone of a bunnies head without any holdover etc within 15 to 65 yards (zero at 45)

but a 100 yards ?? wnt even use my rimmy for that, out comes te HMR.

cheers KW

Logun S-16 was the worse gun i ever had.

Not fac but i love mine, the only way I'd get rid of it would be if someone gave me enough money to buy another 2 mark ones :good:

Just out of interest why do you want to be able to shoot them at 50 yards?

It's a mark 1, although the person I bought it from had a mate who worked for logun so I would of thought if it did have any problems they would of been ironed out.

The look is not to everybody's taste but as my only transport is a motorbike it's ideal.

lol, wish I did, its going to skint me but too good a deal to miss! and i LOVE daystates!! :huh: :(

Failing that ill follow your advice and send my Theoben MFR off to be uprated.

My friend's raoid was uprated by a engineer he knew but theoben also uprate them if you contact them:

www.theoben.co.uk

It's a mark 1, although the person I bought it from had a mate who worked for logun so I would of thought if it did have any problems they would of been ironed out.

The look is not to everybody's taste but as my only transport is a motorbike it's ideal.

I quite agree!

The Logun S-16 (even the MK1) was a good gun they were just a little forward in their asthetics design.

Main problem I found with the MK1 was the bottle seals other that that I had no trouble what so ever :D

Also the Gunpower range! Again Asthetically different to run of the mill rifles but again a good gun (after a few mods of course) most were lucky if the gun was a minter out of the box as MOST needed modification for consistency though once sorted a Stealth can exceed 60fpe Some of the Yanks have them runningnearer the 100fpe :blink:

Also another gun which may not please the Eye but is one of the BEST foreign guns i have had the PLEASURE of owning was the Career 707.

I felt like John Wayne on a mission against the Comanche (rabbits) This gun is capable of around 80FPE also and the cocking action is smooth as silk. The only draw back is IF you change pellets and you want them in the Mag they HAVE to be the same length as the pellets you set the Feed for as any longer like H&N FTT to Logun Penetrators then the Penetrators JAM the magazine feed :lol:

You CAN however feed the pellets in manually but it is too much of a faff about to be of any REAL use as by the time the pellet is in the quarry has rolled a few hundred yards laughing at you.

I have to agree with Kdubya to be honest IF you have the FAC the LAND and the Clearance then you may as well buy a rifle ALREADY at those levels :lol:

Last time I looked the second hand FAC rated air rifles are quite a lot cheaper as they are harder to shift on.

LG

FAC air rifle??

Why all the bother and expense of harseing about for the sake of ooohh, 30ft/lbs or so and recharging every 4th shot???

Geta 22rf and some subs or gallery rounds for indoor work. Is this not the tool for all occasions, or am I missing something?:D;)

FAC air rifle??

Why all the bother and expense of harseing about for the sake of ooohh, 30ft/lbs or so and recharging every 4th shot???

Geta 22rf and some subs or gallery rounds for indoor work. Is this not the tool for all occasions, or am I missing something?;):D

Your missing the point I think. :D

A .22LR running subs is a cracking round indeed, you get no arguement from me on that. However, its not "the tool for all occasions" as you put it. there are several good reasons why an FAC Airgun is worth consideration over the mighty .22LR.

1. Ricochet, the .22LR will bounce off most things from hard ground to sodden wet grass and underlying water. I have had to pass up on many shots due to these reasons and not beiong able to get a good back stop.

2. Land Clearance, you are almost garunteed to be able to shoot the FAC Airgun on most land. Whereas the .22LR will seldom be cleared for small holdings, especially if they are on flat ground.

3. Elevated Shots, I would never take an elevated (tree) shot with a .22LR but would do with the airgun. I know that this still requires alot of safety however.

FAC air rifle??

Is this not the tool for all occasions, or am I missing something?:D :D

If I just add to what AXE has said...........

"Because this is the airgun section, and a .22lr is not an airgun" ;)

High power can enable pretty long range crow/rabbit shots

It is not about extra distance it is about a flatter trajectory.

Yes, an FAC rifle will give you more distance but not as much as you think.

12lb=45yds (realistically a max distance)

30lb=65yds

There are going to be people who challenge these figures, and no I don't have an FAC airgun I am just going by information that I have recieved from reliable and trustworthy sources.