Stock oil

NorfolkAYA

I use CCL oil on mine,(good quality walnut oil is just as good) put a little drop in the palm of your hand then rub it into the stock, keep rubbing it in until your hand gets warm on the wood this helps the oil seep into the wood, leave it in a warm place overnight then either repeat process or buff up with link free cloth.

If you want to wax it afterwards then get a good wax like Colron finishing wax, rub it on to stock then leave it for 20-30 mins, add a drop of silicone gun oil (trade secret stuff is the best) then buff up again with a lint free cloth.

Is it the trade secret rapid oil you use?

The kit comes with Alkanet oil to enhance highlights of the stock and redden it. The stock oil is used next and then the Rapid oil is used when the stock oil is going off. If you Google Trade Secret Stock Oil you can get the instructions. It's good stuff and I've used it for years on all my stocks.

Used CCL in the past and although it left a lovely finish it didn't seem to offer much protection from the rain,

Using trade secrets at the mo to finish the stock and like it so far, seems to take a little longer than the CCL to dry/harden tho.

I just went out today and got some CCL, is it no good in the rain then?

Errrrr, yes and no.Used it on a new beretta( that are now known for water marking badly.)

Took it out in heavy rain and most of the finish was washed off the stock leaving bare wood behind.

But to be fair to the product I have used it in the past on a old Winchester and old beretta stock and it seemed ok in light rain.

So I have a feeling that it may not have hardened fully before I used it in the rain or I was just bloody unlucky. I had left it a week since the last coat before using it. Maybe should have left it much longer.

So many people say CCL is the dogs wotzits it was probably my haste in using the gun that cocked it up.