CX2000 Sub for Rio G-1000 Primers

Have been experiencing issues with primer fit on once fired hulls and wondered if substitution from the CX2000 to the slightly bigger Rio G-1000 to resolve would cause any issues with the following fibre load.

24gr Vectan AS

4mm Nitro Card

21mm Fibre Wad

30g lead

Would I need to change powder load gr?

Cheers

Guest cookoff013

Have been experiencing issues with primer fit on once fired hulls and wondered if substitution from the CX2000 to the slightly bigger Rio G-1000 to resolve would cause any issues with the following fibre load.

24gr Vectan AS

4mm Nitro Card

21mm Fibre Wad

30g lead

Would I need to change powder load gr?

Cheers

The Rio primer is reportedly a bit hotter than a CX2000. That load looks hot already so I would avoid anything that might increase the pressures any more.

i think that load is hot, it might even be under saami 11,500psi, but i cant say for sure.

Thanks for your experienced response guys

I need to double check my posted recipe information as i'm sure that recipe was provided by someone on here.

Ideally what combination would work using the Rio primer the Vectan AS and Fibre wad components listed?

Morningflight you said you use 21.5 grains with a plastic wad and a CX2000. Would that powder charge 21.5 grains work bearing in mind he primer change and the lesser gas seal characteristics of nitro card fibrewad v's plastic wad.

When I loaded up 25grn of a1 with fibre wad and a plastic gas seal 32gl ead I got a max pressure of 777bar so 24grn would be bang on the max pressure according to the proof house.

Get the superglue out on those primers

Oh your using AS

Edited by super sharp shooter

Thanks for your experienced response guys

I need to double check my posted recipe information as i'm sure that recipe was provided by someone on here.

Ideally what combination would work using the Rio primer the Vectan AS and Fibre wad components listed?

Morningflight you said you use 21.5 grains with a plastic wad and a CX2000. Would that powder charge 21.5 grains work bearing in mind he primer change and the lesser gas seal characteristics of nitro card fibrewad v's plastic wad.

I would suggest finding someone with a chrono and seeing how it fared. AS will burn quite cleanly if it is reaching good pressures so if there is a lot of residue or unburnt powder in the barrels it can mean the charge needs upping a little to clean it up. Always done with great care and small increments of course and the cold weather will also cause poorer ignition so can be a bit misleading. This is why it's best to find a verified recipe or get your own loads proofed.

BTW, I just looked and found your recipe on the old Clay&game reloading CD so it may be OK but a lot of the recipes on there have been found to be very dodgy it must be said.

Reloading eh, why do we bother :rolleyes:

When I loaded up 25grn of a1 with fibre wad and a plastic gas seal I got a max pressure of 777bar so 24grn would be bang on the max pressure according to the proof house.

It's AS not A1, I used to load 24grains of A1 with a z21 and 32grams of shot IIRC :)