12ft lbs vs FAC Air Arms TX200 Advice

Marksman1997

Hello i am new to this and don't have great knowledge when it comes to guns. So would highly value anyone opinion. I am looking a Air Arms TX200HC and i live in Northern Ireland so all air Guns have to be applied for and put on license unlike e.g. England where you can buy sub 12ft lbs without a license. I have to get it on the license either way so would it be best while im at it to go FAC? or is 12ft lbs best? I think if the limit was 14ft lbs then not too many would choose 12ft lbs. This all arose as i searched to see what calibre was best .177 or .22 and i discovered that .177 has longer range and less bullet drop but lacks the punch of the .22 when hunting. But the .22 Has less range and more bullet drop. It would be ideal if i could get a .22 in FAC to do similar range and bullet drop as the .177 but still deliver the punch. I heard that some FAC air guns tend to make the bullet spiral which would not be good as i don't want to pay good money for TX200 (one of the most accurate springers available) And then ruin accuracy with pellet spiral. Power is pointless if you can't hit your target! Anyone with experience of any of this would be HUGELY appreciated!

I'm not sure what power a springer can go to however most will chose a 22 pcp powered at 30ftlb for increased shot count and accuracy.

if you have to get the gun on license I would chose fac not sub 12.

However there are some rifles that the power can be adjusted on the side of the rifle, but I think this will depend on what shooting you do.

The tx200 is very good around 15-16ft/lb in 22. Easy to achieve too.

It will be reasonably flat over 50yds and nock the snot out of stuff.

Most are mad on PCP and it would be nice to hear of a springer at it, after all, the air is all around us :-).

U.

Edited by Underdog

As someone who sounds quite new to guns I would think stick to a decent 12ft lb gun and get good at up to 35 yards...you do not say what you are looking to shoot but if it is the usual air rifle quarry a 12ft lb gun will be fine at those ranges.Once you are experienced and if you find you want to push out a little then worry about what is next..

As someone who sounds quite new to guns I would think stick to a decent 12ft lb gun and get good at up to 35 yards...you do not say what you are looking to shoot but if it is the usual air rifle quarry a 12ft lb gun will be fine at those ranges.Once you are experienced and if you find you want to push out a little then worry about what is next..

agree,, very good advice

Why? That makes no sense at all!! The chap is in NI. He has to register it any way!

Are you really asking me to believe that most here if they had the choice would stick to under12ft/lb lol.

U.

I am a huge springer fan , but if you want a FAC airgun go PCP , there is little advantage range wise getting a spring gun doing 16 ft / lbs or so , it may help with pellet drop but thats about it.

A PCP doing 30ft/lbs however will give you another 20 yards if you learn the drops in .22

Also a .177 does not have a longer range than a .22 , its just a bit easier to shoot at range due to less pellet drop , learn the drop on .22 and you can be just as accurate at range.

I use a 177 for hunting and it will do anything I require energy wise , airgun hunting is about pellet placement and if you put it in the right place the outcome is the same using 177 or 22

I am 18 and currently own a bsa mk7, Ruger 10-22 & Silma M80 Clay Gun. 2 of them i love however the BSA mk7 isn't up to scratch! With the bsa i shot crow, magpie & pigeon at my dads farm ranging from 5-40yds (yes really 5yds! there is a hay shed with a broken window that you shot through and hit crows out of calf buckets directly bellow you. The majority are between 20-30yds as it is mainly all inside sheds. There are a few at 40yds that i got but i don't even try them any more as i don't have trust in the accuracy of the gun. Im wondering with the AA TX200HC would it be able to stretch to 50yds? As it is very accurate and i have a Hawke LRF600 Range finder and can accurately calculate range and hit the target with the 10-22 which isn't the most accurate 22lr ever invented lets be honest. (i was able to calculate and hit a 16" square target almost every time at 400yds with CCI Subsonic!) Thanks for the help!!

i was considering .177 but apparently with .177 head shot is a must on the likes of pigeons as it doesn't have knock down power. And i feel that when you hit the head with either .177 or .22 the bullet will go through and hit something behind e.g. the roof! So i would mainly be taking body shots. Would the .177 be as good as .22 for this? p.s. its BSA not Beesa.

Edited by Marksman1997

The HW80 was built to run around 18ft/lb in standard trim-pretty sure they are imported in this form and Hull just change the spring-job to fault the gun in real terms and with a moderate tune and a full power spring I would imagine it would last you a lifetime.In FAC air the .22 seems to rule-the smaller calibre is reported to become unstasble at the higher velocities encountered in FAC guise.

Edited by bruno22rf

The HW80 was built to run around 18ft/lb in standard trim-pretty sure they are imported in this form and Hull just change the spring-job to fault the gun in real terms and with a moderate tune and a full power spring I would imagine it would last you a lifetime.In FAC air the .22 seems to rule-the smaller calibre is reported to become unstasble at the higher velocities encountered in FAC guise.

That is good advise!

Why? That makes no sense at all!! The chap is in NI. He has to register it any way!

Are you really asking me to believe that most here if they had the choice would stick to under 12ft/lb lol.

U.

my point was really that at start of air gun shooting takes time to be consistent with springer at 35 yards...and at that range a 12ft lb would do the job..FAC makes gun hold its value less/trickier to sell(in England anyway) and get into realms of pellet fussy etc...most folk think if fac then really only ,22 makes sense and it gets a lot trickier with holdover etc once you push past 35/40 yards...it was only my opinion,i get your point of if going to the trouble of ticket etc..but is fac air that much more other than likely to tempt a new shooter to think everything within 80 yards is fair game when it really is not.I think for a really experienced shot then a well set up fac does the 45-60 yard 'gap'..But I think most folk should stick to 35/40 yard max as it is hard enough to hit a rabbit/pigeon in the right place out to those ranges let alone 50 yard+...arguably once passed 50 yards rimmie is way to go.....

my point was really that at start of air gun shooting takes time to be consistent with springer at 35 yards...and at that range a 12ft lb would do the job..FAC makes gun hold its value less/trickier to sell(in England anyway) and get into realms of pellet fussy etc...most folk think if fac then really only ,22 makes sense and it gets a lot trickier with holdover etc once you push past 35/40 yards...it was only my opinion,i get your point of if going to the trouble of ticket etc..but is fac air that much more other than likely to tempt a new shooter to think everything within 80 yards is fair game when it really is not.I think for a really experienced shot then a well set up fac does the 45-60 yard 'gap'..But I think most folk should stick to 35/40 yard max as it is hard enough to hit a rabbit/pigeon in the right place out to those ranges let alone 50 yard+...arguably once passed 50 yards rimmie is way to go.....

Some good points but don't worry to much about idiots. They will always out smart us ! ;-)

i was considering .177 but apparently with .177 head shot is a must on the likes of pigeons as it doesn't have knock down power. And i feel that when you hit the head with either .177 or .22 the bullet will go through and hit something behind e.g. the roof! So i would mainly be taking body shots. Would the .177 be as good as .22 for this? p.s. its BSA not Beesa.

If most of your shooting is close range then go for 22 it will be that much more difficult to use at longer range though , if you are worried about a 177 pellet going through something and then hitting the roof you hardly want to be looking at higher than 12ft/lbs guns though do you !

For me using a airgun means head shooting if using 177 or 22

Beesa by the way is just a nick name for BSA guns , though most of the newer ones tend to be reffered to as ****

If most of your shooting is close range then go for 22 it will be that much more difficult to use at longer range though , if you are worried about a 177 pellet going through something and then hitting the roof you hardly want to be looking at higher than 12ft/lbs guns though do you !

Beesa by the way is just a nick name for BSA guns , though most of the newer ones tend to be reffered to as ****

Lol.

No head shots here. 177.

valuemax_zps2053b429.jpg

Third time lucky , for some reason its playing up when i use the quote button ???

Each to there own UD but i prefer the certainty of a head shot , I then do not need to stick a knife in a pigeons throat to finish it off :lol:

I can also remember a couple of year or so back you were having issues off body shot pigeons flying away :yes:

Third time lucky , for some reason its playing up when i use the quote button ???

Each to there own UD but i prefer the certainty of a head shot , I then do not need to stick a knife in a pigeons throat to finish it off :lol:

I can also remember a couple of year or so back you were having issues off body shot pigeons flying away :yes:

That is true and I forget the details. That's how I got good with a knife lol.

I hate people with big memory cells lol

U:-)

Edited by Underdog

Good point i think for what i am using it for a .22 Sub 12 ft lbs would be best. Getting R/H Air Arms Tx200HC .22 Sub 12ft lbs Walnut stock & Thumbhole Stock! For now anyway! Can someone else please tell me why some people REALLY dislike thumbhole stocks? in my opinion they look nicer and are WAY more comfortable and have a far better grip for steadier shots especially standing!