connemara nights

ronan nee

IMG_0494.jpg

hello all.

monday night was the first time out in weeks in search of mr fox.

with my trusting companion ( conor ) by my side :blink: we set off for north connemara. the night was ok but we got a few heavy showers that dampened the mood which left me not so keen to open the window to shine the ould lamp. after about an hour or so we seen our first pair of eyes in the distance about 400 yards.

the fox didn't seem too bothered by the lamp and we proceeded to call and slowly but surely he started to reduce the distance for me, must have known I was a **** at the long shots. we kept calling and had the chance to shot on a numerous occassions but he kept walking behind growth and hillocks. we had to move then cause we lost sight of him and that was the last we saw. was a bit peed off. the headed off to another spot that produced nothing. it was late so we headed home.

on the way back we spotted a flash of yellow up on a steep mountain side, we pulled over and sure enough low and behold freddy fox or as it turned out mrs freddy. she was at about 200 yards and she was dropped in one. it was one heck of a climb to get her but it was worth it. hats off to the driver conor who listened to my **** all night. :D

ronan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

monster haul in one night. class pictures too

One of those charlies is a monster, he is huge. Nice work.

Did you call them in or bait them? Or just move around until you spotted em

thanks Vegeta :D . the actual tally that night was 12, but one was the other side of a river we didnt fancy crossing and the other was well we fogot where we shot him cause we got five in the same spot in the space of ten minutes and with all the excitment we couldn't remember where he dropped. at night even one fox is hard to find when you have to go looking for him.

that is savage going ronan:good:.Were they all got in the one area?do you cut the tails?

thanks tikkamark :) . conor and I live about 15 mins from one another so our shooting is between each other and surrounding areas. five foxes where got in the same spot near my house, they came racing to the caller. didn't expect to get any there cause I know of a couple of lads that are shooting there and missing alot, so we expected them to be very lamp shy. as for the tails we havent been keeping any but we talked about doing same.

ronan ;)

hey tikkamark. are you talking about the other rifle in the photo. it is also a rem 700 .223

am waiting for the licence for the cz. it will be alot handy for lamping. the remy is a bit long and awkward.

ronan

yeah my tikka is a fair length with the surpresser fitted aswell but i dont mind much.do you not find the 223 a bit on the loud side un-surpressed?

There is a fair thump off her all right. it makes you very aware of whats around you and if your going to **** anyone off that my be in the sack, which has happened at one point, but thank god there was no confrontation. was going to get her threaded for the supressor but was worried about the length. thats where the CZ is going to come in handy with the mod

ronan

There is a fair thump off her all right. it makes you very aware of whats around you and if your going to **** anyone off that my be in the sack, which has happened at one point, but thank god there was no confrontation. was going to get her threaded for the supressor but was worried about the length. thats where the CZ is going to come in handy with the mod

ronan

a mate of mine had a 220swift unsurpressed for a while and it was just to loud had one or two confrontations alright and every one within 3 miles would know you are out :) the fact that the tikka came factory threaded was a big factor in me getting it :D