Alone in the wilderness

Hi, not sure how many people have seen this before. It's not a sporting video as such, but I think quite a few people on here will enjoy watching this. It's about a chap who goes to live in the wilderness for a year, and follows him building his log cabin, and staying in it for the first year. He goes on to live there. I would love to do something like this.

http://youtu.be/PzsnkWus-z4

Edited by southeastpete

I know it's nowhere near the same level of expertise nor length of time spent alone, but it used to be the norm as kids to wonder off in our own wilderness and build our make believe cabin's. Oh what adventures we had, it just doesn't seem to happen anymore.

I know it's nowhere near the same level of expertise nor length of time spent alone, but it used to be the norm as kids to wonder off in our own wilderness and build our make believe cabin's. Oh what adventures we had, it just doesn't seem to happen anymore.

Bang on Dougy,

It's been with us " outdoorsy type" since kids

I truly believe we were born in the wrong environment so to speak,

I wonder if it's ingrained in us why we do what we do and enjoy it so much??

Atb

Flynny

I can't see the video as it seems to now subject to a copyright claim - I take it is the **** Proeneke story.

He was a very talented outdoors man, but as said by fieldwanderer, the film kind of plays down the dangers.

That said, it is a great watch and for a dreamer like me, it allows me to escape the stresses of modern life for a while. .... I'm off to dig out the dvd!

Me and my mates spent our childhood playing in the local woods. Making 'dens' or 'shacks' and 'exploring' the surroundings. We got to know every part of the woodland. Sadly, kid's today don't know what it is to play like that, and they don't want to know either. :no:

Me and my mates spent our childhood playing in the local woods. Making 'dens' or 'shacks' and 'exploring' the surroundings. We got to know every part of the woodland. Sadly, kid's today don't know what it is to play like that, and they don't want to know either. me too those were the days the memories come flooding back but I think play stations, computers etc stopped todays kids doing what we did they don't know what their missing

Edited by foxy bingo

There are a number of videos of **** Prenokay (?). The cabin is still there and a tourist attraction. Quiet but rugged guy - I wonder how he learnt to build his food store on stilts ?

There was obviously a fairly critical learning curve. He walked in to the Twin Lakes site, taking his woodworking tools without handles to save weight and made them from trees at the site. I would have loved to try something like this, sadly I now have to realistic about life and my limitations - I ******* hate that.

Unfortunately I think there isn't a link to the full film anymore, type alone in the wilderness or **** proenneke, (short for Richard) into YouTube and there will e several smaller clips. You can buy the dvd's somewhere online too. Also if you type his name into amazon a few books come up

Edited by southeastpete

I had to google it to find the video but it was awesome, Proenneke had quite a different approach to poor old Alexander Supertramp huh.

Edit: found this link to the full feature 57:28, works for me http://www.solarmovie.ws/watch-alone-in-the-wilderness-2004-online.htmlIn case anyone wants the full thing :)

Edited by PeaceFrog