Only walnut for me - certainly on my collectable springers. Got a nice walnut stock for my Tikka T3 Lite - which came with the synthetic black stock. Lovely it is. But, do you want an ornament in the field, particularly going over barbed fences at night time?

So, walnut stock is not removed and replaced with original plastic stock.

Beech doesn't take stain that well, at least on the ones that I've done. But totally serviceable and fit for purpose.

Only you can really decide how pretty you want your guns. The stock material does nothing for it's main purpose - except for a few ounces here or there - and maybe a non fancy stock lets you focus more on shooting rather than protecting it.

Thumbholes are OK but they need to fit your hand well. I have one rifle with a thumbhole and it gets a bit achy after a couple of hours. No doubt it could be more comfortable if it was 'fitted' to my exact hand shape but I wouldn't bother.

HTHs

I take trees down for a living and have always wanted to make my own stocks n that but im far from processing that talent but a college near by have's a lazer carving machine basically you take in a item it photos its dimension and then you put in a block of wood hay presto exact copy of it

walnut for me but I have laminate thumbholes on both my rifles. I may be a bit old fashioned being 34 lol. but I cant stand guns with plastic stocks. I know all about the benefits of plastic and work with it, just don't like the feel on a gun

Edited by bumpy22

I personally think walnut looks best by a mile but i was told by someone the other day (old friend of mine that may know nothing about guns or he could be a genius i have no idea?) that i should definitely get beech as walnut scrapes and chips way too easy as its softer or something.

This kinda upset me as obviously i would like a good solid stock on the gun but don't want to compromise on looks with the new tx200 i am looking to get.

So just wondering how much of this is true?

If it makes any difference, i am in the country with good gates or styles at ditches so very rarely scratch or hit the gun. Only ever really when putting them in and out of safe as its a 4 gun with 4 guns in it which is pretty tight but i recently got a 12 gun deep safe so that's that problem solved. Other than that i am very careful and very rarely hit or scrape the gun.

What D'ya think? :/

I personally think walnut looks best by a mile but i was told by someone the other day (old friend of mine that may know nothing about guns or he could be a genius i have no idea?) that i should definitely get beech as walnut scrapes and chips way too easy as its softer or something.

This kinda upset me as obviously i would like a good solid stock on the gun but don't want to compromise on looks with the new tx200 i am looking to get.

So just wondering how much of this is true?

If it makes any difference, i am in the country with good gates or styles at ditches so very rarely scratch or hit the gun. Only ever really when putting them in and out of safe as its a 4 gun with 4 guns in it which is pretty tight but i recently got a 12 gun deep safe so that's that problem solved. Other than that i am very careful and very rarely hit or scrape the gun.

What D'ya think? :/

I have a very cherished 22 Sporter that I've used for 40 years. Shoot > 500 rabbits most years and it's over fences, mainly barbed wire many times per hunting trip. There is not a mark on it. (Except for a small scratch on the blueing when it was at a RFD for bedding... :no: )

Edit - should say it's walnut and looks brill.

Edited by Glenshooter

I have a very cherished 22 Sporter that I've used for 40 years. Shoot > 500 rabbits most years and it's over fences, mainly barbed wire many times per hunting trip. There is not a mark on it. (Except for a small scratch on the blueing when it was at a RFD for bedding... :no: )

Edit - should say it's walnut and looks brill.

Thats good to hear! Shows it can be ok if looked after properly!