Help In Hampshire

Karl_h

I'm having a few problems finding a steady permission due to my job. I serve in the Navy and am based in Scotland so can only shoot when I'm at home near Portsmouth. I have land back in my home town (Warrington), it is in the family so they know And understand I carnt complete regular 'Pest control' as I work away but let me use it to get some fresh air, chill out and keep my eye in when I'm home.

I'm struggling really down here as I feel cheeky when I explain my position as I cannot really commit to be there regularly. Just asking for the odd days sport if I spot rabbits/pigeons is not really getting me anywhere, as I cannot pitch the whole keep me notified if you get overrun, short notice or when you plant x,y,z on your field. I've tried paying for days but it's not really my thing, I prefer a good wander round roost or lamping type thing with a bit of freedom. I've offered work on farms etc.. But again as I cannot commit year round I hit a dead end as most have people who can do it at short notice.

Sorry for the long post but I'm just after abit of advice or pointers either how to pitch my proposal or any other tips off people who have been in this position.

Thanks Karl

Keep asking mate,im sure something will eventually come along,But Hampshire is a difficult county to get a permission in :yes: and im speaking from experience :good:

Why not try joining one of your local wildfowling clubs (couple of members on here shoot that neck of the woods) and I believe they offer pigeon/roost shooting out of the wildfowling season :good: like I say its only a suggestion,but might get you out with the gun :good: BB

That's the problem, I'm competing with people who can do it regularly. Too be honest I have found a fair few places to shoot if I was home more they just want someone who can turn up at the drop of a hat so I've declined the offer as I'm not the sort of person to say yes and not deliver, I would rather someone who had the time and needed land have it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Karl

I am in a similar position allbeit that live and work in Hampshire (near Wickham). I moved here early last year and have struggled to secure anything permenant. I have had plenty of "we would let you but someone already shoots here".

I used to live in Derbyshire and shot whenever I liked over a 450 acre farm - decoying, lamping etc - and thought it would be a doddle down here having plenty of past experience.

I agree with Bluebarrels on contact Langstone Wildfowling club. The only other options are going to the occassional clay pigeon shoot and having a chat to a few people.

If I do find anywhere I will let you know and if the landowner is ok with it you are more than welcome to come along.

Cheers

Huw

• 6 months later...