Wood Shooting

Mike

Just a quick bit of advice - I have the chance to shoot in a wood in Feb, I am used to shooting over crops.

The wood is currently full to bursting, and I will be shooting with 4 other people in the wood.

Any advice with regards decoying? Would I risk putting pigeons off with decoys?

What advice for do's and dont's when shooting with other people within a relatively small area..

Look forward to replies.

Great forum.. keep it going.. :lol:

Roost shooting is great Just make sure that the 4 guns are spread out to keep all of the wood covered

if there are clearings in the wood so that you can get a decent shot between the trees try them out

if the wood is quite dense then stand at the warm side ( away from the wind) as that is where the birds are likely to land

Try and catch them as they fly in from the surrounding field they usually come in against the wind but not always

If the wood is as good as you say then decoys will not be required

once the light has started to go you can stand in the open and they wont see you

Have a good shoot

HH

HH has just about covered it, but safety is your biggest consideration with 5 Guns in the wood.

I would stress that it is important to place your Guns carefully and everyone to know, where each other is.

Agree a signal to stop shooting (whistle ?) and where you are going to meet up afterwards (Saves hunting around for each other in the dark).

Also, for safety sake, have a "No Ground Game rule".

You won,t need decoys, but a face net, or something similar will help.

YOUVE HAD SOME EXCELLENT ADVICE SO FAR, ALL I WOULD ADD IS TO MAKE SURE AT LEAST ONE OF YOU HAS A GOOD DOG, AND TO LEAVE THE PICKING UP TILL THE END IF YOU CAN WHEN IT IS POSSIBLE TO CONCENTRATE ON THE DOG AS OPPOSED TO SHOOTING.....IF ITS AS GOOD AS YOU SAY, HOPE FOR SOME WIND AND THAT OTHERS ARE OUT AND ABOUT IN THE SURROUNDING WOODS.....IT WILL KEEP THEM MOVING. BEST OF LUCK, W.W.N.

BUZZER IS RIGHT, SOME OF THE WORST KILLS TO CARTRIDGE RATIOS I HAVE EVER SEEN HAVE BEEN FROM ROOST SHOOTS, BEFORE YOU START, DO TAKE A LOOK AT THE HEIGHT OF THE TREES THEY WILL BE LANDING INTO, THINK ABOUT THAT AS THEY FLY OVERHEAD ! AS THE LIGHT FADES IT CAN GET DECEIVING, ONCE AGAIN GOOD LUCK (WE WILL BE ASKING HOW YOU GOT ON !! :lol: ) W.W.F.

I appreciate that there is nothing like good wood shooting. But may I suggest you intercept the birds on a good flightline to the wood rather than shoot the wood. Firstly this will preserve the roost, overshooting will move them some where else. Secondly, intercepting birds is far easy and will for the majority of times produce bigger bags than shooting the wood itself. Wait for a 35mph+ wind, be light and move with the birds, as you will be dictated by wind direction.

A good windy over cast night will work in your favor......try not to shoot at birds that are out of range! Ive seen blokes shooting at birds wich are far to high so many times....they shoot 100 carts for a hand full of birds......stay safe!!!

All the best

Buzz :lol:

I did hit a stonking pigeon on a driven day. It was about 40-50yds up. First barrel. Infront of the keeper :lol: Then I shot a L+R on the same drive, my dad never did live it down. What with all the jokes like "If shooting's genetic, your wife must be good,"

:lol: