1 or 2 flappers?

OJW

I run 2 x A1 turbos and a smaller A1 standard flapper, plus an A1 magnet with two on board Hypaflaps, as I get a few dead birds in I set up a couple of floaters / bouncers

I have the flappers amongst the decoys , the magnet out on the upwind end of the pattern and the floaters well down wind so they are the first thing incoming birds see as they approach, but don't be too rigid with ideas, if it doesn't work move them around until the birds come in with confidence, what works one day may not work the next, so be flexible and experiment with pattern shapes ,

The best decoys are dead birds set up in cradles, so as the number of dead birds mounts swap any plastic decoys for dead birds, I always carry 20 cradles, once these are full I use barbecue sticks just to get the heads up position, :good::good:

• 1 month later...

Hi,

About to order my first FF4 flapper, I'm not sure if I should buy 1 or 2. Anyone tried using two and seen significantly better results? Or is it not really worth having two?

I started off getting my self one and with the land I shoot I have to do a lot of long walking to get to the best shooting spots. I have been lugging around all my gear plus a pigeon magnet which I modified to pack down smaller.

I decided to order a second flapper but as I looked at the pay now button I said to my self ****** it and order 2.

In using 3 flappers I have left the pigeon magnet in the car also using a smaller battery the weight of gear has dropped and the pigeons come in nice to them. Looks more natural too when you stand back from a distance looking at your decoys. Also on sunny day using the pigeon magnet you tend to get the flashing off the arms as they go round and can put off in coming pigeons. You don't get that with flappers. I have timers on the flappers so they on and off at different times and not all flapping at once.

If you watch a flock of real pigeons feeding you always see birds flapping there way to the front of the flock as they move across and field. Using the 3 makes them look that way. I would even go to buying 2 more next year once the cash in the pigeon kitty picks up again.

My gear,

3 flappers

2 timers (timer does 2 flappers, when 1 is on the other is off)

x2 10 meter wire twin cord

1 12.5 Amp hour sealed lead battery (most of my pack weight comes from battery)

8 soft half bodied

5 box of 6's

2lts of water.

not forgetting the gun

x2 fold up shopping bags ( for carrying shot birds. 20 birds in each. With the room still in my back pack I can hall back 55-60 birds. Which is a good day)

Not taking the magnet is a big help.

I have set up the 3 flappers with out any decoys and have pigeons come straight in to them. Shoot that way quite often.

So for me more the merrier......

Guest Wilksy

Hi,

About to order my first FF4 flapper, I'm not sure if I should buy 1 or 2. Anyone tried using two and seen significantly better results? Or is it not really worth having two?

great question ojw I'm learning a lot! Mainly that I'm tight as a ducks ****! But seriously I need to invest, I watched yesterday as pigeons started to gather at tother end of the field, flew over my static decoys to get there, and like was said jumping and flapping over each other, movement is massive! Edited by Wilksy

I've used two flappers when out decoying Corvids. One is placed about 20 yards from the decoys, with the bird looking like it was flying into the pattern, and the other is just out side the pattern. The Corvids, mainly Jackdaw's noticed the furthest away flapper first, and this drew them into my kill zone.

I run 2 x A1 turbos and a smaller A1 standard flapper, plus an A1 magnet with two on board Hypaflaps, as I get a few dead birds in I set up a couple of floaters / bouncers

I have the flappers amongst the decoys , the magnet out on the upwind end of the pattern and the floaters well down wind so they are the first thing incoming birds see as they approach, but don't be too rigid with ideas, if it doesn't work move them around until the birds come in with confidence, what works one day may not work the next, so be flexible and experiment with pattern shapes ,

The best decoys are dead birds set up in cradles, so as the number of dead birds mounts swap any plastic decoys for dead birds, I always carry 20 cradles, once these are full I use barbecue sticks just to get the heads up position, :good::good:

Exacly same same way as i woule do it :)