cocker vs lab

affinity121

Easy.

If you want steady and are into the world's most plodding, boring dogs, get a lab. It'll sit on a peg all day just for a lick of a biscuit.

If you want something that looks like it's permanently running on 100mg dose of Cathine, hunts hard, can jump on your lap in the beaters wagon and cover you in ****, will do everything you ask most of the time but will occasionally just give you the middle finger and do something utterly hilarious instead, loves you like no other dog can and just seems to know what is needed from pure instinct, get a cocker.

Tin hat on ready for the assault from all the Labrador lovers. :wub:

The post above mine is actually the best advice, what do you want it for? If you want a peg dog, a cocker really isn't it. If you want something on the shore to drag a goose in, a cocker isn't it. If you want something you can take beating, will fetch your shot rabbits (at somewhere around warp speed), retrieve pigeons almost before you've thought about ejecting the cartridge, hunt and flush game (at somewhere around warp speed). Bring you your pants in the morning but steal and chew all your socks, go through life only ever owning one slipper and have a permanent, hairy shadow to trip over then a cocker is just the ticket.

Glad you have your tin hat on , you have just shown in a single post you know naff all about dogs :lol:

Oh dear. Just because you chose the canine equivalent of boiled rice there's no need to get all nasty about it is there. It was just a bit of light hearted fun. My two do everything I need thank you very much. But I there are some things they are totally unsuited for where a lab will win out.

Like a 'which dog can eat the most' competition. :whistling:

Edited by mick miller

The post above mine is actually the best advice, what do you want it for? If you want a peg dog, a cocker really isn't it. If you want something on the shore to drag a goose in, a cocker isn't it. If you want something you can take beating, will fetch your shot rabbits (at somewhere around warp speed), retrieve pigeons almost before you've thought about ejecting the cartridge, hunt and flush game (at somewhere around warp speed). Bring you your pants in the morning but steal and chew all your socks, go through life only ever owning one slipper and have a permanent, hairy shadow to trip over then a cocker is just the ticket.

Thats more like it , but my cocker never chewed my socks or nicked my pants :lol:

You didn't give it enough of a chance then. Or perhaps its in the breeding of mine, but they're both pant and sock monsters and will almost come to blows over a slipper, which is clearly in a cockers eyes, of the same food value as prime steak.

I have never had labs, but a lot of my shooting friends do, they're both great dogs but have different strengths. I couldn't dream of sending my two in where they send their labs and if you want to do any fowling there a few dogs better than a lab.

I'll let the serious answers come after this...

Edited by mick miller

Firstly what sort of shooting do you mainly do ? Driven, rough (with water both river and slow bodies of water)

What are you mainly going to want the dog to do ? Everything really. Be okay on a peg, hunt when rough shooting and do a few retrieves through water every now and again.

How experienced with dogs are you ? Had my fair share of labs and been round dogs my whole life. Know a few trainers and field trialers so advice can be found if required.

I have had both but they are different horses for different courses.

Ok so to throw a spanner in the works have you considered a springer , it would do all you need and more if trained well .

I personally am not a fan of cockers for water work as they are bold little dogs and give their all even when perhaps they should not it may be ok in a pond but in a fast flowing river they are up against it, they also suffer from the cold a fair bit when wet .

Firstly what sort of shooting do you mainly do ?

What are you mainly going to want the dog to do ?

How experienced with dogs are you ?

I have had both but they are different horses for different courses.

Good questions and points to be considered.

Also, how much shooting do you do, are you training it yourself and how much time do you have to train it? I could train 3 well bred labs from start to finish in the time it took to train my well bred cocker and she's faultless but needed time and that little more thought than any lab.

Edited by lee-kinsman

My cockers are fine in a pond, but not the strongest of swimmers. I wouldn't consider putting them in anything flowing to retreive, they'd struggle to make it out but wouldn't want to give up either. I agree with the comments above too from Lee, they're ******* to keep on the straight and narrow and need time and patience to keep them in line when younger. Once they calm down, and I use that term loosely, they're absolutely fine; will walk to heel, sit when and wait till told, retrieve well, hunt amazingly but - I am with these dogs 24/7 everyday, from dawn till dusk and my work is very flexible.

My cockers are fine in a pond, but not the strongest of swimmers. I wouldn't consider putting them in anything flowing to retreive, they'd struggle to make it out but wouldn't want to give up either. I agree with the comments above too from Lee, they're ******* to keep on the straight and narrow and need time and patience to keep them in line when younger. Once they calm down, and I use that term loosely, they're absolutely fine; will walk to heel, sit when and wait till told, retrieve well, hunt amazingly but - I am with these dogs 24/7 everyday, from dawn till dusk and my work is very flexible.

Agree with you mate its the cheeky smile and the what look when they've just deliberately done something they shouldn't that makes me smile

Characters

Aside that

You should never have a gun dog your not physically capable of picking up and lifting over a fence 😃

Advice given to me many years ago

And it's worth a thought

All the best with your choice

Of

If you go shooting with socks up to your knees tweed checked shirt and tie then get yourself a lab say tally ho and blend right in....

if on the other hand you get your gun old coat and go for a shot then man up,stand out from the springer crowd and get the real shooting mans dog that beautiful little cocker who will hunt till your done and their not, drive you round the bend have this " your of your tree if you think I'm going in there,there is nowt there....."look while loving you to death the rest of the year forming a shadow as you walk and at least once a year doing you proud with a retrieve you just won't believe was possible,,, get the COCKER........every man needs a challenge.........lol

Edited by millrace

Cheers all for the replies. It did make me chuckle regarding driving me nuts over if I got a lab. Everyone seems to say that haha.

Do not automatically think a Lab will be easier to train despite what some say , my cocker was a joy to train , my current Lab has been a pain in the **** almost from the start !

Cockers are not that mad , mine calmed down a bit by the time he was 10 :)