Plumbing advice.

Fisherman Mike

Just replaced the immersion in my cylinder... used a bit of heat and a decent immersion spanner to get it out, cleaned off the boss, threads and all and rubbed down the mating surface with emery cloth so it was nice and clean, took the new one out of the box and alas no fibre washer...

So being quite resourceful I cut a 21/2 ins polythene one from the top of an old Tupperware box and sealed it both sides with high temperature copper based gasket silicone. I didn't use any boss white but wrapped the threads of the new immersion in 4 or 5 wraps of PFTE tape before tightening it up by hand and 1/2 turn with the spanner

My question is will a polythene washer last ? its seems to have done the trick and everything is as dry as the Gobi.

second question, why use boss white and fibre washer anyway...it just goes off like concrete and increases the risk of ripping the tank when changing the immersion. Surely there must be something better. ?

Slightly off topic, why do plumbers use the PTFE tape and not hemp?

Few years ago i was out in NZ and my mate who picked me up from airport is a plumber, gave him a hand with a job on way home. He still uses hemp and says its far better as u can ease it off a tiny bit if needed to get fittings plumb. He's a decent tradesman and worked in UK for years while travelling.

Just always wondered why?

Boss white has not been acceptable for potable systems for many years (IIRC in excess of 15 but I can't remember exactly) , if you must use a paste use Boss green or equivalent.

On potable systems (and yes DHWS in a house is classified as potable by WRAS) it is advisable not to use any "fibrous" jointing system as it promotes bacterial growth where it is exposed to the water which acts as the medium for legionella.

PTFE tape or a "liquid ptfe" are preferable.

If your ever stuck without a washer keep wrapping ptfe tape around the top end under the hex of the immersion thread untill it makes a ring when you tighten the immersion in it will spread making its own gasket that won't melt or go soft like plastic might.