Rat Problem!!! .22 Birdshot inside sheds? Help! Advice

Marksman1997

Rat problem at my dads farm! We have alot of rats really annoying my dad as they are ruining all the barley and meal for the cows & sheep. So we really want rid of them. My dad is really not a fan of poison as he says you don't know where the rats carry it and he doesn't like it with the dogs around. Also similar with traps as the rats are HUGE so takes really big steel bear claw type traps to get them which would probably kill the dog if he was to walk over it! so he doesn't use it anymore. We have got a few with the Jack Russell and sticks Yes sticks (Yard Brush Shafts to be exact). It is now rare to have a big lot of them on the floor as they are aware of the jack Russell now. So they are on grain bags, Work benches, Shelves, Ledges on walls, Joists and steels on the roof etc. (we have two entry's to the worst shed of rats and above two doors there are large ledges for storing ropes & caned stuff etc which is crawling with them. The jack Russell is not the best dog in the world for catching them but honestly has the best nose you ever seen and can pick up cent and locate exact position of a rat in any shed in 20 seconds. If you then poke that with a stick one will run out and run across steels and down wood etc to escape point. They move too fast for the air rifle and shotgun would likely blow the shed up! So i am wondering if i could use these!

22LR_ShotShell_Federal.jpg

Birdshot 22lr load.

I have used these before on a rat down a steel pipe and i blocked the other side and then shot down it at about 5 yards and i thought it would turn it to soup but it was un-noticeable that it was shot! So i am wondering what this would do to tin roof or if you shot at one scaling a rope along the wall would some pickles from the shot come back at you or would it be dangerous. I think there are 100+ pickles in each 22 bullet so they are smaller than grains of sand so damage may be un-noticeable? All advice is appreciated! Thanks in Advance!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot rats with a 9mm garden gun and even with that you had to be within a few feet for a kill, rat shooting is one of the most satisfying sorts of shooting - enjoy.

Can a gun like this be bought in NI with our 1 Joule Max Rules?

Can you get them in pistols? (They would probably be great as you don't have time to scope as they just scurry away so quickly!)

Also does anyone think it may come back at you of a concrete wall?

Best way to see if they are any good is to give them a try but i don't want to injure myself!

Edited by Marksman1997

If you have a serious rat problem then you need to do some serious pest control , not just shooting the odd one here and there .

There are plenty of places where you can set fenn traps without them being a danger to the dog , like wise poison , if you have a JRT then try smoking some out , you can also use live catch traps etc , hit them on several fronts otherwise things will rapidly get out of hand.

Friend of mine is an RFD, he has got some of these in http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/detail.aspx?use=1&loadNo=0038

Although I couldn't comment on the effectiveness of them he says plenty buy them for use around barns.

Funny enough i actually have a few of these lying around. We happily shoot my sub 12ft lb air rifle at rats down the farm with my dad but the air rifle has BIG accuracy problems(rason for overpopulated rats!). Just thinking... There is bound to be very little fps between them and the air rifle? Air rifle pellets usually just crush and fall on the concrete wall. i wonder if these would do the same? And i also shot against tin etc at pigeons and rats before but maybe the 22 cb long would go through and damage tin. Im sure after all that time shooting down there with the air rifle i probably hit tin before but it's not noticeable. also the rats are constantly running and jumping and would be very hard to hit with one bullet which was why i have a few birdshot .22lr rounds lying about as well. I can honestly get to an easy 2 meter distance of the rats that would be un-missable with this round but not sure about them coming back at you at this distance! i don't want to be blinded! p.s. i looked up Night Vision £1000 + :no:

no get a night sight around 300 quid new ,its a lens that goes on your scope and has a tv screen about 3" across .just google nightsite.or u could do a simples on it get a set of led,s from ebay .99p for 10 from china .put them on a cane /stick and smear it in runny catfood so they have to lick it off.u now have an illuminated target area ,the runny food draws em in but theres no solids for em to run off with.whilst they lick the slops off pop them with your air rifle .get some hollow point pellets theyl kick *** for u

Depending on the amount of grain, can you not store it in a metal shipping container? Or multiple there of. Removing the food will aleviate the problem. More food available means more rats breeding. Remove the food and the problem will solve it's self within reason.

I agree with others! .22 air rifle with flat or hollow point, NV or red led flashlight. If your frightened of being bitten, make a butt out of a few old oil drums. Cut the base out and run a cut up one side! Do this on 3 or 4. Flatten them out and weld into 3 solid sides. Weld or bolt a set of hinges and latch. Then screw an old chunk of sleeper onto the inside of the door as a seat. Once in, the rats can't climb in. Keeps you a little safer!

Night Vision £1000 + , or even 300 quid new! Nowhere near that if you made your own.

Maybe think a bit laterally here? What do car dash cam systems cost on epay these days? The camera fixed in the position of the eye when looking into a scope and you get the picture on the screen. Need be no more complicated than that. Illuminating the whole area with IR is not that difficult or costly, either. And you can easily record the whole session and play it back as often a you fancy.

So all you need is scope, camera (the recorder is juuust a luxury!), illuminator and battery. The only difficult part, really is aligning the camera with the scope. Tube from a box fitted over eyepiece, with camera secured in position in the box seems the regular way to do it. For ideas, look at epay for simple home security set ups (as you only need about 10m range) and utoob for construction ideas. Davyo(?) and evo, on here, have superb threads on the subject.

RAB

Beware of ricochets with those little shells.they wont damage anything.i use a 9mm on rats and always wear eye protection because of ricochets.my 9 does a good job on rats close up.get some peanut butter spread on the floor and ambush them.

Edited by deadeye18

Beware of ricochets with those little shells.they wont damage anything.i use a 9mm on rats and always wear eye protection because of ricochets.my 9 does a good job on rats close up.get some peanut butter spread on the floor and ambush them.

I will second the above, I have had ricochets from my 9mm Garden Gun, I imagine that the CCI .22 Rimfire LR Shotshell would be similar? Wear eye protection

Edited by M4X