garden pond

roadkill

I would like to put in a garden pond this year next to this wall, my only concern is that it could effect the foundations of the walls, should I be worried or will it be ok? If not how far should I build it away from the wall? Size is going to be roughly 6ft x 10ft. And 4ft deep

tapatalk_1423423362333_zpsip4jmpml.jpeg

Edited by roadkill

I shouldn't worry too much about it.. just take the foundation down to the same level as the wall and cast the slab. Build the pond wall in 100mm blocks laid flat against the existing wall.

The density of water is 1000kg/m3 and compacted soil average 1200 - 1500 so you are not going to put any more surcharge on the existing foundation and there is no need to underpin them.

Personally I wouldn't build it there I would get rid of that monstrosity of a trampoline and build it the other side of the patio wall. It will get more sunlight and you can sit on the wall and admire the fish.

I assume you have children...do you really need it 1200 deep ? Better to have the margin 18ins maximum.

It will be the side of the trampoline anyway , not fussed about knocking any price of the property as this is our first house and don't have any plans to sell in the near future , worse case I can always fill it in

So 4ft away from the wall trampoline side

If you mean the wooden fence or the patio wall then ignore all of the above and go as close as you want. The above info relates to the wall at the end of the garden.

Edit: I would put it where the trampoline is. Then if the house behind you has any problems with subsidence in the future, there is no way you can/could be held responsible!

Edited by silver pigeon69

It will be the side of the trampoline anyway , not fussed about knocking any price of the property as this is our first house and don't have any plans to sell in the near future , worse case I can always fill it in

So 4ft away from the wall trampoline side

Why not have a raised pond? Safer with kids also.

Goldfish bowl. Problem sorted!

I put in a lovely pond years ago, 12ft x 8ft with pump, rapids/fountain and all the ****. 2 years later I filled it in because it was a pain in the *****! cleaning and maintaining, herons, cats and kids. Never again. You want fish? have a tank or just get some from the chippie on a Friday, far less trouble!

Goldfish bowl. Problem sorted!

I put in a lovely pond years ago, 12ft x 8ft with pump, rapids/fountain and all the ****. 2 years later I filled it in because it was a pain in the *****! cleaning and maintaining, herons, cats and kids. Never again. You want fish? have a tank or just get some from the chippie on a Friday, far less trouble!

Done the fish tanks, had a stunning marine tank for four years and that took a hour a day to keep it stunning, never had a pond and quite fancy one