artex

Paddy Galore!

It wasn't banned in some products till the late 90s, but from the mid 80s it could contain asbestos or it could contain none, depending if the artex used contained any!!Unless you have it tested you'll never know. It's encapsulated at the moment ie proberbly painted in. It's only dangerous if you start sanding it etc.

Atb

Flynny

Edited by flynny

cheers chaps, it was built in '95 so I think i'm clear,

It wasn't banned till the late 90s, but from the mid 80s it could contain asbestos or it could contain none, depending if the armed contained any!!Unless you have it tested you'll never know. It's encapsulated at the moment ie proberbly painted in. It's only dangerous if you start sanding it etc.

Atb

Flynny

you posted about a second before me flynny, I think i'll take a sample to work.

I work in the insurance repair game at the moment and after a recent Asbestos Course, we are qualified and instructed to take samples of all products likely to contain Asbestos if we are likely to disturb them,,,, Artex included. The dates as to the possibility of these products containing Asbestos have been found to be....... "Built or worked on up to the years 2000/2001"

We are finding it mainly in Artex and Bitumen Adhesive/Marley floor tiles. Not often and in miniscule amounts [circa 0.01%] but that's enough for the insurance companies to instruct its removal.

Hope this helps ;)

Edited by JKD

done a bit of surfing, apparently the use of asbestos in anything was completely banned 1999/2000, the use of asbestos in artex or other artex like products stopped in '84. this doesn't count stocks of the product though which were still used until depleted. that's a bit of a worrying thought, I hate to think of the number of ceilings I've pulled down and replaced over the years :/

done a bit of surfing, apparently the use of asbestos in anything was completely banned 1999/2000, the use of asbestos in artex or other artex like products stopped in '84. this doesn't count stocks of the product though which were still used until depleted. that's a bit of a worrying thought, I hate to think of the number of ceilings I've pulled down and replaced over the years :/

Me too fella ! And old floor tiles, the square lino type ones. It's also in numerous other things which builders have been "removing and throwing in the skip" for many many years :unhappy:

Artex is not too difficult to remove safely. A steam stripper softens the product and when it is moist it is reasonably safe. Double bag the residue before it dries out.

Don't try and scrape it, drill it or cut it dry.

Alternatively bond it and skim over for a flat surface.

Some of my walls are not very good and are lath and plaster. Probably why they got Artex in the first place.

Scraping or steaming is a bit daunting and skimming isn't going to be that easy either as there's damned big lumps of it in places.

If it was simple I would have done it by now.

Does it affect value of house if I were to sell the place?

Textured coating, chrysotile as stated already any property with textured artexed ceilings pre 2000 may contain it. It is only a very low amount as stated 0.01%. I have asbestos training and remove ceiling re board and plaster. Or you could overboard encapsulate. But that would just be masking potential exposure for someone else.

Some of my walls are not very good and are lath and plaster. Probably why they got Artex in the first place.

Scraping or steaming is a bit daunting and skimming isn't going to be that easy either as there's damned big lumps of it in places.

If it was simple I would have done it by now.

Does it affect value of house if I were to sell the place?

try a tight coat of bonding first to take the lumps out, then skim :good: a couple of coats of pva first though.

I would've thought it's affect on the value is minimal, loads of places have artex ceilings still.