Andoid update help

Longchalk

I've got a 2012 version of the Google Nexus 7 tablet which has been utterly brilliant. I use it for all sorts.

Unfortunately, I am now caught up in the well documented problem for owners of this model, by the latest Android update.

Going from Kitkat to Lollipop 5.0.1 has totally trashed it. Most apps crash or just won't open, and it runs so slowly as to be unusable. It's effectively now just a paperweight. Google know about this (massive international howls of complaint that they ****** their own tablet! ) but don't seem in any hurry to release a fix. I'm therefore looking at having to buy a new device.

Thing is, most currently still seem to come loaded with Kitkat out of the box, and will quickly want you to download the update to Lollipop.

Has anyone got a brand/make /model of android tablet they have successfully updated?..... Don't want to spend £££ and then go through the same hassle again!

Edited by Longchalk

Interesting. I have a Nexus 7 of similar vintage which has recently ground to a halt (almost). I put it down to too many apps and the memory getting a bit full. I was going to do a factory reset to see if it would sort it. I never considered it might be an OS update. A pity, as it was a fantastic bit of kit whilst it worked which was barely out of my reach.

The problem is most likely this Blunderbuss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30116319

You can check which version you are on in your settings, on the 'About device' tab. If it's Android 5.0 or 5.0.1 that's your answer.... And don't bother with factory resets or flashing the bios like some of the online tips advise, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. There is away you can hack it back to the previous version of Android, but you'd need to be full-on tech head to understand it.

Edited by Longchalk

Nightmare. Not many options really other than waiting to see if they bring out a fix. I am typing this on my phone because my Nexus is so painfully slow, though bizzarely it (HTC one m8) is also running lollipop 5.01.

But of a massive own goal by Google to nobble their own branded tablets.

Edited by Blunderbuss

Thanks Dibbz. Interesting.

The 'how to' instructions look a bit daunting to though...

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_grouper

Would need several strong drinks to tackle that.

Its a lot easyer than it looks. If you run the installer on the PC it shows you how to change a few settings on the tablet and does the rest for you!!

Android is not the only operating system for tablets. Ubuntu touch works well but you need to be a bit tech savvy to install it and you lose anything not saved to the cloud or a separate SSD drive. The Asus nexus 7 is a neat tablet with decent hardware. It has a second hand value so don't let it go for a few quid or dump it in a drawer. I can send you a link to show you how to see if you can understand it and could follow it. David.

I have the same problem with my HTC one-m8, updated it yesterday. Now it's completely useless, slow, freezes with non stop notification tones until you check mail, FB, texts etc.

Phoned HTC helpline today and they said they were really sorry but couldn't help and that I should be patient as Google were aware and a fix was in the pipeline....

Would getting the old iPhone unlocked (EE) and using my o2 sim work as this situation is crazy ? Any suggestions would be appreciated !!!!

Azzurri.

The problem is most likely this Blunderbuss.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-30116319

You can check which version you are on in your settings, on the 'About device' tab. If it's Android 5.0 or 5.0.1 that's your answer.... And don't bother with factory resets or flashing the bios like some of the online tips advise, it doesn't make a blind bit of difference. There is away you can hack it back to the previous version of Android, but you'd need to be full-on tech head to understand it.

How to wipe your Android device of data

Follow our handy step-by-step guide to ensure your Medion devices are wiped clear of any personal data for your protection.

Step one: Encrypting

We recommend encrypting your device before you’re getting ready to wipe it. The encryption process will scramble the data on your device and, even if the wipe doesn't fully delete the data, a special key will be required to unscramble it. To encrypt your device on stock Android, enter settings, click on Security, and select encrypt phone.*

Word of advice: The feature may be located under different options on other devices.

Step two: Perform a factory reset

The next thing you’ll want to do is perform a factory reset. This can be done on stock Android by selecting factory data reset in the backup & reset option in the settings menu.

Word of advice: You should be aware that this will erase all of the data on your phone and that you should backup anything you don't want to lose.

Step three: Load dummy data

Following step one and two should be enough assurance, but there's an extra step you can take to add another layer of protection when erasing your personal data…try loading a few fake photos and contacts on your device to use as a ‘ploy’.

Step four: Perform another factory reset

Now perform another factory reset, this will essentially erase the dummy ‘ploy; content you loaded onto the device. This will make it even harder for someone to locate your data because it will be buried below the dummy content. Still not convinced? Repeat steps three and four as many times as you like.

Word of advice: Without the encryption pin, which is overwritten in the initial factory reset, it will be almost impossible to unscramble your data.

*Please note: Android 3.0+ (Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich devices) are currently the only Android devices that support device-based encryption.

Now "I DO NOT FULLY UNDERSTAND IT" But Someone on Here MAY Do:

So Brains, Give us a lick.

YES I can SEE the Versions of Baseline, "BUT" it may work eh.

It does get better.

I have n7 and n4. Wife has n4 and son an n7

My n4 was a right mess, after the 5.0 update. It took months before google sorted it with a a 5.01 update. It took a while to settle down and a lot of restarts but it works very well now.

The n7 was even worse and was pants until 5.02 came out. Still having to restart from time to time but its getting better.

It was OK back before the updates and I was pulling my hair out after it started to play up but, it does get better and its just as quick. Battery life is about the same as well.

Persevere with it. Scream a number of times but it will get better.

It does get better.

I have n7 and n4. Wife has n4 and son an n7

My n4 was a right mess, after the 5.0 update. It took months before google sorted it with a a 5.01 update. It took a while to settle down and a lot of restarts but it works very well now.

The n7 was even worse and was pants until 5.02 came out. Still having to restart from time to time but its getting better.

It was OK back before the updates and I was pulling my hair out after it started to play up but, it does get better and its just as quick. Battery life is about the same as well.

Persevere with it. Scream a number of times but it will get better.

I have noticed some improvement with 5.02 but its not what it was.