FAC application/clubs, ranges in Rotherham area

Paul taylor

Hi PW massive.

Considering putting in for FAC and wondered best way of going about it, had SGC for 16 month now and a couple of perms but don't know if either are cleared for FAC or not.

Would having a range to use say 22rim Fire on be enough or would it have to be a club?

If the farm I shoot on is cleared for it I'd like to use it on rabbits and magpies , I would check with FEO before I put in for anything but what's the general opinion whether I could just apply first time and say I would use for vermin on said farm? Cheers PT.

First off, think of target shooting and pest control as two different things entirely.

If you wanted to apply for a FAC for target shooting, you need to be a full member of an approved club. You usually have to be a probationary member for 6 months, before you can become a full member, and some clubs limit the total membership - so you might be on a waiting list for some time. A FAC for target use will ONLY be for target use. In addition, you need to maintain membership, or your 'good reason' to possess will lapse, and clubs MUST notify the police of lapsed members.

A FAC for pest control is totally different. All you need to show is 'good reason' and you're away to go. Though some FEO's might make you jump through hoops, if you are a person of good standing, and you have 'good reason' then that's it.

In your case, with the permissions, I'd suggest speaking to the farmers first. Shotguns are one thing, and the shot won't do much damage to anything at 200 yards. However, even a 22LR at a mile is very dangerous, and you might find they aren't keen on it. If they are happy, and if you've got or can get proper permission letters (which you will need to send copies of with your FAC application, as if shows 'good reason'), then go for it.