Ejector problem

TheGreenknight

Hi guys.

Been shooting a William Leech and son old side by side and just developed a slite problem with the ejector on the second trigger.

It fires fine but when I come to break it open it goes to eject and the cartridge and it seems to jump of the ejector. I'm thinking possibly the ejector is worn down and not picking it up right.

Does it sound like I'm on the right track or not..

Thanks

sounds like a gunsmith job but remember old s/s chambers usually smaller than o/u of the modern ilk so more likely to have issues re fouling by plastic That;s where a chamber brush comes in handy old s/s made initially in the days of paper cases

Now that is something I never knew! So there are two standards for 12g chambers. Well I never !

U lol.

Could be either the case is swelling into the chamber and so sticks until a certain point were the cam will "pop" it out , have you tried different cartridges as this may cure the problem .

The other thing is that the ejector is tripping to early so the that the case hits the action face which can have a similar effect .

Without examination all else is really guess work and the gun really needs to be looked at by a competent gunsmith who is familiar with older English guns .

sounds like a gunsmith job but remember old s/s chambers usually smaller than o/u of the modern ilk so more likely to have issues re fouling by plastic That;s where a chamber brush comes in handy old s/s made initially in the days of paper cases

Hmm that really gives you somthing to think about..

Could be either the case is swelling into the chamber and so sticks until a certain point were the cam will "pop" it out , have you tried different cartridges as this may cure the problem .

The other thing is that the ejector is tripping to early so the that the case hits the action face which can have a similar effect .

Without examination all else is really guess work and the gun really needs to be looked at by a competent gunsmith who is familiar with older English guns .

Now that you mention it' it has started doing it with a diffrent cartridge I have used hull carts before and not had a problem. Maybe I need to route through my cart bag a give it a try with a couple more hull carts to check.

Frequently the case ,if you will excuse the pun , that some older guns don't like some cases .

Please also consider if the gun has original rollover chambers [very short cone ]which tend to be slightly tighter at the front ends than modern chambers and it is a 2&1/2" then with 65mm cases they may be dragging in the cone , Check the overall length of one of your fired cases .Also check to see if the front ends of the chambers so signs of pitting or fouling as crimps can open up into these and drag .