After mating ferrets

dibbz2000

Hi all, I put my Hob and Jill together this morning to do the deed... After a very disturbing mating ritual Ive just taken her back to her crib. Its been a few hours now since seperation and her "private parts" are inflamed and there is a slight discharge, is this normal in the hours following mating... :D

Also how long will it take her to concieve, and for me to be able to tell if he worked?

Cheers

yes.......................quite normal

To put it simply.............If you and ye missis (or mister to be politically correct :no::no: ) had been dying for you leg over all year, and finally got some quick action,................I think there would be sore bits all round....

The discharge....................................do I really need to explain...or should I refer you to an encyclopedia about how life is formed???????????? :D:D:D;)

If you are under the age of 16....perhap have a chat to mummy and daddy :lol::lol::lol::D

I hope your quest for knowledge dosn't end in tears :lol::lol:;):D:lol::no:

:lol::no::no:

I knew I would get this as soon as I posted :D

Good good, Just making sure it's all going to plan. Ive not bred ferrets before and don't wunt nowt to go wrong! There will prob be a lot more silly questions over the next month ive become quite attached to my Jill N I only want the best adivce from PW members!! :D

Cheers Paul! ;)

:no::no::no:

I knew I would get this as soon as I posted :lol:

Good good, Just making sure it's all going to plan. Ive not bred ferrets before and don't wunt nowt to go wrong! There will prob be a lot more silly questions over the next month ive become quite attached to my Jill N I only want the best adivce from PW members!! :D

Cheers Paul! ;)

:D:D:D;):lol::lol::lol:

Sounds like your ready with the hot water and blankets :lol:

Chillllllllllll let nature take its course.

Saying that once she has had them "DO NOT TOUCH" For about a week or she might eat them.

Good luck, have a cigar when they come :lol:

PELTMAN :D

Later in the stages you will be able to tell by her getting bigger, but you cant really tell otherwise, he may fire blanks and she could have a phantom.

Good luck with rehoming the lil nippers when they pop out.

Dont think ill be getting anymore ferrets this year, as im getting a dog.

Alex

:D

Put him back in with her for a few days, ain't very nice having a one night stand...she may feel unloved... :)

as said earlier, she will get bigger as she goes on and if it is a successful pregnancy then its around 40-45 days for term. Then don't just open doors to the hutch or anything like that, listen first for faint squeals, if you hear babies in there DO NOT open that door and frighten her she probably will attack and she will end up eating her own young(sometimes this happens anyways and i'm bugga'd if I know why :D )

Coax her out into the open and use slow hand movements. What I have used in the past when my Jills have given birth is Welpil milk on the back of my hand and let her lick it off. Then continue to put her feed in and leave her well alone for at least the first week, even be a bit more cautious and carry it on for 2 weeks.. ;)

All is well. i would also have left them together for a day or two. My ferrets have all had their kits around the 40days mark. swelling of privates will go down in a day or so.

The other replies are right be careful around your jill for a few days after the birth. i always make a point of handling the adult ferrets at feeding time every day, this pays dividends in this situation as the jill will carry your scent into the nest and onto the kits, i feel this lessens the chance of of the jill rejecting the kits or attacking them when she finds your scent in the nest . One of my jills had her first litter last year she came out the nest to be handled of her own accord on day 3 and never looked back, rearing 7 kits to weaning age. Always err on the side of caution and let your jill dictate what happens. and look forward to handling the little nippers. remember 2 things patient handling always wins in the end and stock up on germoline HAHA!!

good luck re homing the offspring