Getting permission

Billy Vincent

Hi, I'm new to the forum, so forgive me if this has been asked hundreds of times!

What is the best way of gaining permission to shoot on someones land in the Bristol/Somerset area.

Also, what kind of land should I be looking for?

I don't seem to see many rabbits around here, but thousands down the road in Dorset!

I'd appreciate any advice that you could offer, thanks :lol:

Guest Mr Pieman

Hi Billy and welcome to the site. Unfortunately, the only way I've managed to get some land is to visit landowners/farmers and ask them. My advice would be to dress smart, be polite, join an organisation like BASC (gives good insurance cover - farmers like to know you are responsible and being insured sets the right impression) and get out knocking on doors.

Try to avoid early evening, most farmers are having their tea and won't want to be disturbed!

It can take a while but I'm sure you'll find something if you stick with it.

PP :lol:

I find it good if you start off by offering to shoot rats for farmers - I've never had any not to take up my offer!!

If they see results (report back when you've finished too, before you go home), and they will probably let you progress onto rabbits.

Oh and yes, don't leave dead rats all over the place - ask the farmer what to do with them.

References are good - "I've been shooting rats for Mr xxxxx at xxxx farm and he suggested I saw you" etc.

i found the best way is to type up a standard letter

tell the farmer you are a keen airgunner and you are looking for new shoots

tell him about expierience you have especially ratting and feral pigeons

tell him about your lamping equipment and that you have done nighttime barn clearances etc

also let him know you r a member of BASA (only £17.50) and that it covers you up to 2 million pound

send some pics of your gun,lamp and any pics of succesful shoots (especially rats)

that you have been on

also look to see if there are any pig farms in your area and try them first (always feral and rats on these farms)

i moved to my area last year ... done this and now have shoots on 15 farms

im out 3 days a week and started sharing my shoots with people like yourselves

its just a pity i stay in scotland or you would be welcome to come and join me

happy typing and shooting

Murray

:/:P:)

Apologies for implying that all airgunners or hunters are 'fellas'

All due respect to the ladies who enjoy the sport aswell!

Am I forgiven? :/

Murrayfuk, thanks for the advice. I will type a letter out, join the BASA, and get posting. I will let you know in due course how I get on.

Maybe if the wife and I are in your neck of the woods one day, we could spend a few hours knocking over some Scottish quarry, and you could do likewise down here! Regards, and thanks.