Off work with stress - advice

Doc Holliday

Does anyone have any experience with either being off work due to stress or have had an employee off work due to stress? I was curious as to how it was handled/dealt with. Someone I know is having to deal with this at the moment so I was looking to get some information from both sides of the fence.

Any help/advice either way would be appreciated.

Doc.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had an employee on sick leave due to stress..he was effectively signed off by his GP and was entitled to statutory sick pay plus any other remuneration at the discretion of his Employer in the normal way. He was off for 11 weeks altogether.

This might help.

http://www.jobsite.co.uk/worklife/stress-your-rights-at-work-6349/

Not advice as such , but I think anyone taking months off work for such things should be shown graphic photos of our wounded from afganistan and Iraq , then they should be asked *** they have to be stressed / depressed about.

There are far too many people who use it as a excuse for a few weeks / months on the sick.

I has 2 weeks off work this time last year after my father died, was sighned off by my gp with low mood, this is the only time I had ever had off work and they were brilliant I must admit. I agree with fenboy in a way there are far to many people that fake stress to get an extra couple weeks holiday a year. If the op friend is in a genuine bad place I feel for him or her it is horrible, he or she should go to GPs for some help and if nessacerry get sighned off for a few weeks. All the best.

Not advice as such , but I think anyone taking months off work for such things should be shown graphic photos of our wounded from afganistan and Iraq , then they should be asked *** they have to be stressed / depressed about.

There are far too many people who use it as a excuse for a few weeks / months on the sick.

Different people have different problems you could argue they put them selfs in harms way (not that I'm saying that) but just because sombodys life looks ok from the outside it's usually a different matter behind closed doors.

Perhaps some do. There was a guy in my office threw himself in front of a tube train last year due to stress. I'm not sure how combat images would have helped, but I suspect a couple of weeks off would have been a start.

Prey you never have depression or stress,your view is over simplistic.

Are you suggesting that clinical depression is a figment of imagination? That a sharp slap would 'bring you out of it'?

How Ill informed.

Fenboy you are an idiot of the highest order..

pernod

Thank you for pointing that out Pernod , hopefully the other 15 of your posts over the last 7 years have been as thought provoking .

I am aware depression can be very serious if it was not we would not have people killing themselves on a daily basis due to it .

Do you think there has not been days in my life when I could easily break down , days when I could walk out on my job etc , there has been plenty but I carry on .

What ever people have to be depressed about chances are there is always someone worse of who is coping with it , yes all people are not made the same some are stronger of mind than others , but as I stated in my original post two many people jump on the stress / depression bandwagon all too easiliy as its a mostly invisible disease , and to them it is just a easy way to get some time off work , time that costs the country and ultimately us a lot of money .

I was signed off with stress for four weeks once, to be honest it was a life saver, at the time I was working for a huge and well known American firm, managing a team of six designers.

The stress of the daily, 80 mile commute up and down one of Britain's busiest motorways coupled with the pressure of constantly having to deliver the same or more in less time and for less cost eventually got to me after 5 years.

I'm not a very emotional man but found myself rapidly becoming so, unable to sleep, couldn't see a way out (usual family and mortgage commitments). Those four weeks gave me time to reevaluate my life and priorities and realise that I didn't need to be someone else's cog to earn a living. I managed to negotiate an exit plan and went freelance, that was nearly ten years ago and I've never looked back.

Stress is very different from depression, and people deal with it differently. In my case it just wore me down until I could no longer cope with it, no need for medication, just enough breathing space to revaluate things.

Do you think there has not been days in my life when I could easily break down , days when I could walk out on my job etc , there has been plenty but I carry on .

What ever people have to be depressed about chances are there is always someone worse of who is coping with it , yes all people are not made the same some are stronger of mind than others

I have to ask, do you know what clinical depression is? Its not something that can be 'walked through', its disease process is biochemical imbalance.

Will you next suggest that you'd manage to get through diabetes, or hypothyroidism with a bit of British grit?

Edited by kyska

Yes fenboy i dont post much.

but i certainly felt the "urge" to respond to your post.

i am at present off work, diagnosed with anxiety/depression. Im not going to go into too much detail here but sufficient to say although not a visible ailment it costs me £400 for every week i am unable to work. Unfortunately my employers share the same views as yourself. Perhaps i should give myself a shake and get back to work........

mind you with all my freetime perhaps i can up my post count.

pernod

I have to ask, do you know what clinical depression is? Its not something that can be 'walked through', its disease process is biochemical imbalance.

Will you next suggest that you'd manage to get through diabetes, or hypothyroidism with a bit of British grit?

Yes perhaps I need to read up , but can you honestly say you have never known anyone or worked with anyone who you know is taking the **** and using depression / stress as the excuse , it seems to stop them working but has no effect on any other part of their life .

Depression and stress are not diseases.

I think you should go away and read up on them before making any more ill informed posts

Yes...quite :hmm:

Wiki

A disease is a particular abnormal, pathological condition that affects part or all of an organism. It is often construed as a medical condition associated with specific symptoms and signs.[1] It may be caused by factors originally from an external source, such as infectious disease, or it may be caused by internal dysfunctions, such as autoimmune diseases. In humans, "disease" is often used more broadly to refer to any condition that causes pain, dysfunction, distress, social problems, or death to the person afflicted, or similar problems for those in contact with the person.

Oxford dictionary

A disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific symptoms or that affects a specific location and is not simply a direct result of physicalinjury:

Edited by kyska

Yes perhaps I need to read up , but can you honestly say you have never known anyone or worked with anyone who you know is taking the **** and using depression / stress as the excuse , it seems to stop them working but has no effect on any other part of their life .

Yep, I do, but I also know of people who malinger with back pain, migraine, neck pain, RSI etc etc

Agree that some folk milk the system BUT there are people who appear ok on the outside and are masking their depression/illness. No offence but comments and attitudes like yours are one of the reasons people don't seek help until its too late.

I had a colleague aged 39 who last year went home from work and hung himself. None of us knew he had any issues but at his service it was revealed that he had battled depression for many years and was afraid that the general stigma would compromise his career and peoples attitudes towards him-couldn't have been further from the truth. He was well paid - no money issues - good family and kids and from the outside it seemed like an idyllic life.

My advice would be that your friend gets all the support available from their GP/family etc and keep in touch with their employer. Good luck

Whether an illness or not, depression can be overcome.

First it tends to come about through isolation, or by relative isolation so being off sick isn't probably going to help as that, as we all know, usually involves being 'home alone' .

I am not a doctor or psychologist but I have managed people with stress. First it does involve a relief of the stress by moving someone to 'lighter' work or 'buddying' the person suffering with another worker who is sympathetic. I suggested to my guys/gals that they feel free to take time off, explained the above and said perhaps better to be amongst people but take it quietly for a while. People need to talk this through and explain and feel someone is interested and who can and is willing to help - so some worthwhile 'stress counselling' wouldnt go amiss and repay in early return to work.

I once had a guy who found himself at a motorway service area he had no need to be at and he called for help knowing he was losing it. The above was the solution and, because he wanted to improve he now has a lesser stressed/pressurised position and is a very useful team member although in a less responsible post and paid less. He is happier, more productive and 'mending'. Eventually he may take up where he left off but you cant always build in the necessary 'resilience' if it isnt already there.

Just my views - NOT a prescription as all cases differ in the 'why's' and thus solutions.

Yes fenboy i dont post much.

but i certainly felt the "urge" to respond to your post.

i am at present off work, diagnosed with anxiety/depression. Im not going to go into too much detail here but sufficient to say although not a visible ailment it costs me £400 for every week i am unable to work. Unfortunately my employers share the same views as yourself. Perhaps i should give myself a shake and get back to work........

mind you with all my freetime perhaps i can up my post count.

pernod

Pernod , I think you took my post , or perhaps I wrote my post in the wrong context .

I know people can suffer badly through it , what I am trtying to say is for everyone genuinely suffering like you there are perhaps two simply using it as a reason no to work or to have time off work , I am fortunate that I am fully paid if I am sick for any reason for a minimum of 16 weeks , unfortunately that also leads to a few of the 600-700 who work here to abuse it .

They can be depressed for 16 weeks but once the money runs out come back to work just fine and dandy until the next year ( and they get sick pay again ) when once again they get a 16 week depression ., this means that the company are now considering going to SSP only.

im not going to hate on you as plenty of others have started doing that in response to this post.

however,

it takes a lot to understand why people suffer so badly from stress and depression, and it affects different people with different severitys.

i was signed off for 6 months with stress related depression. to look at me at the time you probably wouldnt have thought that there was anything wrong with me.

i looked fine, but i was broken inside.

i couldnt handle day to day working life, even the smallest amount of stress would send me into either a rage or tears. nothing i could do about it.

i have never been workshy, hell, i hate taking holiday. i worked from the day i left school until the moment that my depression kicked in.

and the cause?

2 years previous to my 'break down' i had endured watching my 5 month old daughter die in front of me. i gave her CPR for 15 minutes while waiting for an ambulance and couldnt save her.

my then partner was understandably a complete wreck after this, so rather than deal with it myself i supported her instead.

the following 18 months untill we split up saw me become a victim of mental and often serious physical abuse at the hands of my ex because it messed her up so badly.

i had ashtrays smashed over my head, cut with a knife and hit with various objects.

eventually, after she cheated on me for the 3rd time, i walked away. 2 months before we were due to be married.

6 months after i walked away, something inside me just stopped working. it was almost as if dealing with her had kept me going, and when i stopped, i broke.

as i previously said, i was off for 6 months. i was paid SSP for the whole time. and do you know what? i deserved that money. i have paid much more in taxes in my life than i claimed in that 6 months.

and i seriously fail to see how looking at pictures of wounded soldiers would have made an iota of difference to my situation. it certainly wouldnt have helped.

and after all is said and done with this post, im not angry or annoyed at what you said fenboy, unlike some others will be. i just hope this makes you realise that sweeping statements such as the one you posted, are not always as sensitive as they should be.

think before you type. (or word your posts a little better)

Edited by brett1985

I was signed off with stress for four weeks once, to be honest it was a life saver, at the time I was working for a huge and well known American firm, managing a team of six designers.

The stress of the daily, 80 mile commute up and down one of Britain's busiest motorways coupled with the pressure of constantly having to deliver the same or more in less time and for less cost eventually got to me after 5 years.

I'm not a very emotional man but found myself rapidly becoming so, unable to sleep, couldn't see a way out (usual family and mortgage commitments). Those four weeks gave me time to reevaluate my life and priorities and realise that I didn't need to be someone else's cog to earn a living. I managed to negotiate an exit plan and went freelance, that was nearly ten years ago and I've never looked back.

Stress is very different from depression, and people deal with it differently. In my case it just wore me down until I could no longer cope with it, no need for medication, just enough breathing space to revaluate things.

This post sums things up. Went through it for six weeks 20 years ago, I and people that new me would have said, no way would this guy ever go down with it, but it does happen. The cure, i dont know, but i came through.

Brett , I am very sorry to hear what you have been through I really am , but I would ask you the same question as I asked Kyska , have you never worked with someone who you knew was just using it as a excuse for some time off ?

Being effected in such a bad way as you were would you not feel agrieved that they have just used it as an excuse to miss work / claim benefits .