New rifle - wooden stock - ironing out dings

Kes

I am after a little advice. I would appreciate an 'idiots guide' to ironing out stock blemishes where these are due to knocks - the gun isnt very expensive - an old Parker Hale as a 'starter' gun but I'd like it to look its best and will refurb it for the next person.

Can anyone provide a simple step guide to how to do this, temperature? just steam, contact / no contact. etc.

Thanks,

I have used one of the hand-held steamers to good effect. Once the old finish has been removed with a suitable substance, you can apply steam to any dented areas of bare wood. I normally hold the steamer about 1/4 - 1/2" away, and keep applying the steam until the grain of the wood starts to lift.

The same result can be obtained with a fairly wet cloth and a hot iron. The cloth is placed on the damaged area, and a hot iron is then applied to the cloth. Keep wetting the cloth, and repeat until the dent lifts. Once the grain has lifted, you can sand the wood with 600-800-1000 etc paper before applying new finish.

Some dents refuse to lift completely, but most of them will respond to treatment.

This can also work on some scratches, as long as they run with the grain, but most scratches require sanding to remove them.

Edited by Les*1066

The key to a successful out come is whether the fibres have been broken at either ends of the ding. If they are just depressed then the outcome is likely to be better. Other than that the guys above have it licked.

Some light marks can be removed by firm rubbing along the grain with a hard wood (e.g.oak) flat block.

The same result can be obtained with a fairly wet cloth and a hot iron. The cloth is placed on the damaged area, and a hot iron is then applied to the cloth. Keep wetting the cloth, and repeat until the dent lifts. Once the grain has lifted, you can sand the wood with 600-800-1000 etc paper before applying new finish.

Some dents refuse to lift completely, but most of them will respond to treatment.

This can also work on some scratches, as long as they run with the grain, but most scratches require sanding to remove them.

This

And what subsonic says